I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

Philistine

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #500 on: 24 Mar 2022, 04:41 pm »
Tesla update after 3 years:

Service events - cabin air filter replacement, plus brake caliper lubrication during state inspection (recommended for cold climates due to infrequent use of regular brakes).

The bad - I've now got the Full Self Driving Beta for regular roads and don't use it regularly, it's too dangerous for other road users (phantom braking) and too slow and hesitant in 'complex' road situations.  Lack of engine noise makes me focus on road noise (partially addressed on newer models).  I don't think the backseats are particularly comfortable.  Build quality isn't on par with German cars.

The good - still fun to drive (insanely fast), energy cost much lower (last recharge was $15 compared with $88 for gas equivalent), no issues driving in snow, minimal maintenance.

Charging - the most common comment I get from the skeptical is charging time.  The reality is that most of my driving is 'local' so I'm charging at home, each morning I start the day with a 'full' charge.  When I road trip, and use the Supercharging network, a charge takes about 20 minutes and the network is prolific.  If I average out how much time I spend charging, vs refueling at a gas station, it's a net time saving for me compared with an ICE so I've saved a significant amount of time during the 3 years of ownership . The skeptical typically struggle with this fact as they don't want to accept this as a reality.

We have a Dodge Ram, BMW 330 and Toyota Highlander in the house, the vehicle of choice for everyone in the household is always the Tesla as it's the most fun to drive.  Over the years I've always had Volvo, Audi and BMW,  so what's next?  I received a trade in offer from Tesla and it's just under $1k less than I paid for it, I'm struggling to go back to an ICE so test drove a Model Y and the latest Model 3.  I finished up ordering a Model 3 Performance (my current Model 3 is a Long Range AWD), so I'm sacrificing a slight drop in range for improved acceleration and higher top speed (which I don't need) for improved handling and the ability to modify handling characteristics.  I believe I paid $5k for FSD and it's now $12k, from my perspective it should be free until it's working properly - so it's off the list this time!  This is the first time I've ever bought the same vehicle twice, I'm not a Tesla fanboy but can't find anything that's as much fun to drive and own...Any other owners have an update on their experience?

avahifi

« Reply #501 on: 25 Mar 2022, 12:07 am »
My Tesla 3 will be three years old this June.

So far total service cost is $50.  This for having Tesla mobile service drop by my home for a tire rotation.  Nothing else.

It remains the best and most fun to drive I have ever owned. Also nice to drive right by all the gas stations as I always charge at home.

I scored 98% on their safe driving score so am waiting to get their most recent beta full self driving upgrades download one of these days soon.

Frank

AllanS

« Reply #502 on: 25 Mar 2022, 01:41 am »
I’ve not owned a Tesla but the 15 minute joy ride I took in a Model S, back when they were still a novelty, was the most freakin yeehaw fun I’ve ever had on 4 wheels.  We got on a back road and the owner told me to punch it from a stand still.  Grip n go!

jpm

« Reply #503 on: 30 Mar 2022, 03:47 pm »
  This is the first time I've ever bought the same vehicle twice, I'm not a Tesla fanboy but can't find anything that's as much fun to drive and own...Any other owners have an update on their experience?

We recently added another Model S for all the same reasons. Our 3 year old has had the cabin air filter replaced and the HVAC system deodorized for $150 and had the 12 volt battery replaced at no cost. 

Over the past three years we barely drove our gas car and filling up with gas quickly became a smelly, expensive chore. We had the first and second Teslas in our neighborhood and a neighbor bought the third. I'm most surprised there aren't more but now that gas prices are high I doubt it will be too long before there are.

BadDNA

« Reply #504 on: 30 Mar 2022, 06:03 pm »
We recently added another Model S for all the same reasons. Our 3 year old has had the cabin air filter replaced and the HVAC system deodorized for $150 and had the 12 volt battery replaced at no cost. 

.........I'm most surprised there aren't more but now that gas prices are high I doubt it will be too long before there are.

Not everyone's idea of "affordable" is a good reason. :wink:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #505 on: 30 Mar 2022, 10:26 pm »

I’m sure I’ll get my hand slapped for this.

“Americans get it. Electric cars are now flying out of the showrooms. The biggest wind-energy-producing state in the country is politically red Texas, which generates more electricity from wind than the next three states (Iowa, Oklahoma and Kansas) combined. But making this a true national mission would get us to a clean power economy so much faster.”

How to Defeat Putin and Save the Planet
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/opinion/how-to-defeat-putin-and-save-the-planet.html?referringSource=articleShare

Rocket

« Reply #506 on: 31 Mar 2022, 11:47 am »
Hi,

I just wish I could afford any electric vehicle. They are just so expensive at the moment in Australia :(

Cheers Rod