Omega cabinet care

ihor

Omega cabinet care
« on: 7 Apr 2016, 05:22 pm »
Louis, I truly am enjoying my Super Alnico Monitors in beautiful cherry veneer.  I was wondering what product you would suggest regarding keeping the cabinet looking its best.  Regular products such as Lemon Pledge, Old English furniture polish, and Formby's Almond Lustre furniture polish? 

seikosha

Re: Omega cabinet care
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2016, 05:50 pm »
Here are a couple of old threads about this very topic.  Although Louis didn't respond in this one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59625.msg530289#msg530289

He did in this one and just recommends a damp cloth.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35512.0

I've seen other threads in other subjects on this and they caution using wax or oils.  Apparently veneers are porous and they can become clogged when various finishes are applied.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2016, 06:12 pm »
Unscented basic Swiffer or unscented Swiffer 360 duster.  Nothing else is needed for veneer or laminate.  In case of a spill, a well rung out damp cloth is OK.

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2016, 07:46 pm »
For my walnut veneer, I use a tad amount of Murphy's Oil soap with warm water and clean cloth with good success.  I then lightly (an carefully)  buff.  Twice a year is good.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm »
I would add that, if you use the grills, to take them off at times.  Real wood veneers can darken when exposed to light, even indirect sunlight.  This will help keep the darkening even.  Some woods do this more than others. 

.......Peter

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2016, 11:51 pm »
I would add that, if you use the grills, to take them off at times.  Real wood veneers can darken when exposed to light, even indirect sunlight.  This will help keep the darkening even.  Some woods do this more than others. 

.......Peter

Excellent point.  Also with grills attached,  my Super 5's will create a rectangular dust image (an outline of the grill).  So for the most part (serious listening) they are removed keeping this little event from happening. 

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2016, 12:29 am »
Hi ihor,

Thanks and all the woods have a very durable top coat that is almost non maintenance. They are not oil based and won't need to be re oiled. I use a damp cloth and I like to polish with microfiber towel. It's the best way to get fingerprints etc off.

Many thanks for all the great posts and Peter is right about the grills. Most woods do suntan so pay attention to the grills.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2016, 04:23 pm »
Good point regarding light.  I keep the light subdued in my audio room and only remove the opaque fabric window cover when a customer comes over.  The only time I recall getting a suntan on an Omega speaker was years ago on a set of Super 3i in light maple. 

I keep the grills on to keep dust off the drivers.  The RS5 sounds pretty much the same with grill on or off.  The Alnicos sound better with grills off.

Bigtom

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2016, 04:47 pm »
Great advice.