Prebuilt subs anyone?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Prebuilt subs anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2003, 08:03 pm »
Jeffrey, you might want to reconsider "upfiring".  You never know when someone might accidentally drop/spill something on it.  Even with a grill, the cone would still be in jeopardy.  Visiting children's curious fingers and toys would invariably eventually find the cone a very curious thing to explore.  Since you don't need to "aim" a subwoofer driver, I would suggest you consider a downfiring or sidefiring driver mount.  Just my 2 Hz worth.

Jeffrey Stanton

Prebuilt subs anyone?
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2003, 09:20 pm »
Hey Hank:

Thanks for your response re: the upfiring sub.  Of course I was aware of the possibility of dropping stufff on the driver cone, but I am proud to announce that we are "child-free".  We have no kids, none of our friends or acquaintances has any kids, and  I anticipate having NO KIDS over, in the near future or ever.  I consider myself blessed and lucky.

The one "upfiring" sub I already am using is in a place where no one with a drink can venture within reach of it (behind the TV and to the right a bit, & behind a couch which blocks entry to where one could conceivably pour a gin and tonic on the driver).   I tried the sub in this same position originally but firing downward, and it seemed the bass was getting muffled by the carpet below, the TV blocking it to the left and the couch blosking it on the right and front.  When I took the legs off and pointed it up it was much clearer, so I left it like that.  

Bass may very well be non-directional, BUT they do make things known as "bass traps" and in my particular case I think the couch is acting as a bass trap IF the sub is pointed downwards.  Point the sub up and the bass no longer has to run into the heavily overstuffed couch with the subsequent muffling of bass.

Is there any other reason besides dropping stuff on it that precludes using a sub in this position?

Brian Bunge

Prebuilt subs anyone?
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2003, 09:30 pm »
Jeff,

I haven't forgotten about you.  I've been pretty busy though.  You know, it's all or nothing around here.  I'll take a look at the AV15 again tonight and see what I can come up with for you.