Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.

Danny Richie

Re: Sonicjoy's NX Studio build. With photos.
« Reply #180 on: 3 May 2020, 03:06 pm »
I can always sell just one if you guys want to use them as your front mains in a theater system.

They can easily be used in that role.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #181 on: 3 May 2020, 11:35 pm »
When it comes to the center channel, why not use the 16ohm M165NQ/16 Woofers on either side of the OB tweeter?
Of course it would require a custom horizontal front baffle, but the idea sounds plausible. Kinda like a smaller 2-way X-Voce?

I couldn't help myself, and sketched up a rough idea for a center channel..  :P

I don't know if the sealed woofers need to be separated or if they can be part of a single sealed unit, but it should be pretty easy to make it work either way?

Glenng78

« Reply #182 on: 4 May 2020, 05:50 am »
Why not use 4 🤓

jcsperson

« Reply #183 on: 8 May 2020, 01:06 pm »
Inquiry sent!

I was initially interested in the A/V2s from the web site, but I'm gathering from the discussion here that these are far superior.

PZ

« Reply #184 on: 8 May 2020, 08:44 pm »
I have NX Studios on order and initially plan to have them setup in my office without a sub or two...
For future planning anyone have recommendations on the best way to add Danny's servo subs to my NX Studio rig setup?
I've read and heard of different recommendations how to best send signal to a sub and am starting to get confused.

1. If I were to add 1 or 2 subs, which of the GR Research servo subs do you guys recommend to pair with the NX Studios?
2. I was planning on using XLR’s from DAC to the Amp, how should I go about sending signal to the subs and speakers?
         - Anyone have pics of their setup using DAC as preamp?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #185 on: 8 May 2020, 09:57 pm »
I have NX Studios on order and initially plan to have them setup in my office without a sub or two...
For future planning anyone have recommendations on the best way to add Danny's servo subs to my NX Studio rig setup?
I've read and heard of different recommendations how to best send signal to a sub and am starting to get confused.

1. If I were to add 1 or 2 subs, which of the GR Research servo subs do you guys recommend to pair with the NX Studios?
2. I was planning on using XLR’s from DAC to the Amp, how should I go about sending signal to the subs and speakers?
         - Anyone have pics of their setup using DAC as preamp?

When ordering the subs, I'd get the A370XLR3 amps. That way you can run the XLR cables from the DAC to a spliter/inline filter then run one pair of XLR cables from the splitter/filter to the amp for the Studio Monitors and a second pair of of XLR cables from the splitter (not through a filter) to the A370XLR3's XLR inputs. This will keep the gain the same to all amps and have the best noise control.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #186 on: 8 May 2020, 10:07 pm »
Since you have dual analog outputs on your DAC, you can run the XLR cables to your main amp and RCA cables to the sub amps.

PZ

« Reply #187 on: 9 May 2020, 04:13 am »
mlundy57 and Tyson, Thank you for your feedback. Your recommendations are both different but in line with what Ive come across.

I initially planned on setup similar to what Tyson is recommending.
"Since you have dual analog outputs on your DAC, you can run the XLR cables to your main amp and RCA cables to the sub amps."

After watching reviews on how to "properly" connect REL / SVS subs I started to think connecting from the RCA analog output on the Dac to the sub would not be ideal. My understanding of their guidance was to connect from Dac / Preamp to Amp and then send high / full signal directly to the sub.   https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Frel.net%2Fhow-to-connect-my-rel%2F&redir_token=qTi_WfamvBX6y9bgoJ50qCe-mI18MTU4OTA4MzAyN0AxNTg4OTk2NjI3&event=video_description&v=MiF5_F3e0Ww

Thoughts? Ideas?
Didn't mean to derail NX Studio build thread, but the plan is to integrate Studio Monitors into the system.

pankon

« Reply #188 on: 9 May 2020, 03:47 pm »
After watching reviews on how to "properly" connect REL / SVS subs I started to think connecting from the RCA analog output on the Dac to the sub would not be ideal. My understanding of their guidance was to connect from Dac / Preamp to Amp and then send high / full signal directly to the sub.   https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Frel.net%2Fhow-to-connect-my-rel%2F&redir_token=qTi_WfamvBX6y9bgoJ50qCe-mI18MTU4OTA4MzAyN0AxNTg4OTk2NjI3&event=video_description&v=MiF5_F3e0Ww

Thoughts? Ideas?
Didn't mean to derail NX Studio build thread, but the plan is to integrate Studio Monitors into the system.

As a matter of fact, I have the same dilemma about the OB dual driver H-frame servo sub, that I am going to build, to accompany my Falcon LS3/5a. Low level or high level output connections? Technically I can accommodate both.  But perhaps we should take that in a separate thread, because we are unwillingly hijacking the OP’s thread. Apologies!

nickd

« Reply #189 on: 9 May 2020, 04:43 pm »
I use an integrated amp with a RCA preamp out option. I bought budget audio quest wire and do long RCA runs (20’) to the PEQ 370 plate amps. Works perfectly, no noise, auto turn on issues etc. the Rythmik amps are indeed well engineered. I have not had the same success with PE plate amps.. :roll:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #190 on: 9 May 2020, 04:51 pm »
Line level inputs sound best to me - its what I use on my dual OB subs.

CO_Canuck

« Reply #191 on: 27 May 2020, 02:54 pm »
Hi all,

I am new around here and unable to search yet, so I was wondering how much the NX Studio's are.

I am thinking of maybe trying to 3D print the boxes for them as well. Anyone ever try it?

Thanks,

Jody

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #192 on: 27 May 2020, 04:42 pm »
I believe they run for $850 for the kit including the front panel.
As for 3D printing, its definitely an option, just make sure you have a way to add density to the cabinet walls, wether it's sand, steel shot, or a variety of dense objects to help aid in reducing cabinet resonance on top of lining it with Norez

jcsperson

« Reply #193 on: 27 May 2020, 05:15 pm »
I am new around here and unable to search yet, so I was wondering how much the NX Studio's are.

They are $899. There was a $50 component upgrade option (hence the aforementioned $849 price), but the upgrade is now standard at the new price.

CO_Canuck

« Reply #194 on: 27 May 2020, 06:26 pm »
Great, thank you.

You can print with pretty dense in-fill, and I was thinking of maybe printing 1" thick walls, so that should handle resonances nicely, especially with the No Rez.

Never know until you try.

Factorz

« Reply #195 on: 27 May 2020, 08:15 pm »
Anyone know of a cabinet builder in the Midwest? I'm thinking of getting the kit, but without a flat pack don't believe I have the skill set to build something like Sonicjoy did. I know Mike L is an option as well and have reached out, but Danny suggested posting here as well. Thanks!

PZ

« Reply #196 on: 20 Jun 2020, 06:35 pm »
Thought I would share some photos of my first build still in progress.

NX Studio Monitor parts arrived in two boxes.

One of the baffles had some slight damage from shipping

Used some wood glue to fill the crack and clamped it down.

Used 1/4" spiral router bit to cut radius for brace. 

Made straight cuts with table saw, and used 3/8" round over router bit for exposed edges.

Used miter saw for 18.25 angle cuts for the ramp.

Dry fit cabinets.
Haven't decided if I want to run the sides even with the top of the baffle and make an insert grill. (Without changing opening dimensions)
or Follow the original plans.
 - Any thoughts or ideas?

The plan is to finish the cabinets all black.
Looking to do something similar to Danny's Super Mini's and OB Subs.
They're not to shiny and not to dull. Kind of look like they may have some kind of texture?

- Open to any thoughts or ideas on primer, epoxy / wood filler for seems, and paint?

Danny, Sonicjoy, and Captainhemo, Thank you for all your help with my first build.

Hope to get these completed soon and post some more pics.   

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #197 on: 20 Jun 2020, 06:45 pm »

They're not to shiny and not to dull. Kind of look like they may have some kind of texture?

- Open to any thoughts or ideas on primer, epoxy / wood filler for seems, and paint?

I believe that's Duratex.
Wood filler/spackle/bondo should be just fine for filling in any small gaps before painting. Start with a thick coat of duratex, with later coats being lightly thinned out with water for a smoother finish.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #198 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:40 pm »
Hi all,

I am thinking of maybe trying to 3D print the boxes for them as well. Anyone ever try it?

Thanks,

Jody

Hello Jody and welcome!

I have not heard of anyone printing speaker boxes. The problem I see is the unknown sound quality of the printed material. MDF is a known quantity. The Speakers were designed and voiced for MDF. The material used is part of the design and does effect the sound. I would not do it unless you are willing to make a set of each to compare. If you do then please let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

jcsperson

« Reply #199 on: 21 Jun 2020, 04:30 am »
Dry fit cabinets.
Haven't decided if I want to run the sides even with the top of the baffle and make an insert grill. (Without changing opening dimensions)
or Follow the original plans.
 - Any thoughts or ideas?

How would you support the inserted grill?