OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

Jaytor

My replacement table saw arrived this weekend and I spent a couple hours cutting all the No-Rez. 32 pieces with 45 degree miter cuts on all four sides. Now to get all these pieces installed.

EDIT: Actually 64 pieces, not 32.

rinzzlr

Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs
« Reply #661 on: 10 Aug 2023, 01:13 am »
My replacement table saw arrived this weekend and I spent a couple hours cutting all the No-Rez. 32 pieces with 45 degree miter cuts on all four sides. Now to get all these pieces installed.

EDIT: Actually 64 pieces, not 32.

Looks great.. what are the dimensions of a cut piece? I don’t have access to measure mine at the moment but wanted to get started.

Jaytor

« Reply #662 on: 10 Aug 2023, 01:33 am »
Each piece is slightly under 13” x 5.5”.

rinzzlr

« Reply #663 on: 10 Aug 2023, 02:54 am »
Each piece is slightly under 13” x 5.5”.
:thumb: Awesome thanks!

daniel3dad

« Reply #664 on: 20 Aug 2023, 06:58 pm »
Prices are  $650 / pair duals, $850 / pair triples, boxes and shipping materials were much more costly than expected.  These things are going to be heavy (approx 75lbs x 2 for duals, 95 lbs x 2 triples.)

As seen later in this thread, there are options for inlaid grill frames for duals @ $60 /pr, triples  @ $75/pr.
Also shown later in thread are some amp boxes that will fit the A370PEQ and HX800 amps. These boxes are 45'd in the corners and  each corner has a #20 biscuit. Assembly is simple.  $60 /pr with  a flat pack  or $70 /pr alone (helps cover a box and packing).

All pricing is in $US.

The duals measure  16" w x 14" d x 30" h. 
The triples measure 16' w x 14" d x 44" h. 
Bases/ tops are 19" x 17", a smaller  overhanging top is also available.
The overhanging tops are much simpler for people to  prep (glue them up, give a light sanding, prime, and paint,), no seams to deal with.

The cabinets use both dadoes and  dowels to  make asembly very easy. Both the baffle and braces will fit into dados..
Each side panel  will have a pair of dowels in each end that will mate witht he top plate and  base also aiding alignment.
Here is an assembly video that Peter Rawlings did for us :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBmmJzS_iU&feature=youtu.be

Contact us if you  are wanting something specific

Cabinets:
1.5" MDF  side panels, tops, bases
1" MDF baffles & brases
Combination of dados / dowels for  side panel/baffle/base/top alignment. easy toassemble :beer:
Driver mounting screw holes pre drilled
Round-over on rear side of driver cutouts
CNC cut

jay

What is the lead time for ordering a pair of 4 X 12 OB H Frame Flat Packs? And what is the availability for 3 X 12 OB Flat Packs?

Daniel3Dad

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #665 on: 21 Aug 2023, 04:50 pm »
Just an FYI the 4x12 subs will need 2 amplifiers per tower as the HX800 amplifiers are in short supply.
The 3x12" tower will only need one amp per tower.

Jaytor

« Reply #666 on: 21 Aug 2023, 05:46 pm »
If you want to do a 4-stack, I'd recommend you use the modular cabinets and ask Jay to do a top plate that is the same size as the cabinets (no extra overlap). These have a nice reveal between each separate woofer box and will also have one between the top box and top plate. I think this will look a lot cleaner and more modern than the larger top plate overlap.

Mine are currently built with the larger top plate and I've asked Jay to make new top plates for me that are the same size as the cabinets. 

The modular design is a lot easier to move if you need to relocate your woofer towers. The four stacks weigh 200lbs+.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #667 on: 22 Aug 2023, 12:33 pm »
Agree with Jaytor,
The modular OB H-Frames are much easier to move around and position at about 40lb/module. 

Jay is making me two 6x12 OB H-Frame modular flat pack kits with same size top cap to replace the ones that had water damage in my room.  This time build then paint them.

I have new painted drywall and a floor again! :D

daniel3dad

« Reply #668 on: 24 Aug 2023, 08:20 pm »
Agree with Jaytor,
The modular OB H-Frames are much easier to move around and position at about 40lb/module. 

Jay is making me two 6x12 OB H-Frame modular flat pack kits with same size top cap to replace the ones that had water damage in my room.  This time build then paint them.

I have new painted drywall and a floor again! :D

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to introduce myself in order to see how I can contact Captainhemo to order what you recommend. I am an engineer with too much time on his hands and a large basement theater that I want to eventually install some  GR Research Open Baffle speakers. My plan is to assemble the sub woofers first as I already have some speakers which sound good  but are a bit long in the tooth. So my question is how does one contact Captainhemo ?

A humble Hole Snipe* Daniel3dad (*a retired Navy Steam Propulsion Engineer)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #669 on: 24 Aug 2023, 09:23 pm »
you can reach him at this email address:
Captainhemo@shaw.ca

Jaytor

« Reply #670 on: 14 Oct 2023, 12:45 am »
Jay and Don made a new set of top plates for my quad modular subs. I installed them today and I think they look much better than the overlapping top plates. They have a reveal at the junction which matches the reveals between the modules, so it works quite well. The larger top plate which extends past the front and sides looked a little clunky, particularly next to my Line Force speakers. Thanks Jay and Don.

JakeJ

« Reply #671 on: 14 Oct 2023, 01:07 am »
Very nice setup and room, sir!

ketchup

« Reply #672 on: 14 Oct 2023, 01:38 am »
That looks great and I love the grill fabric.  It ties the modules together and makes them look like one unit.

timc90

« Reply #673 on: 12 Feb 2024, 03:46 pm »
This is an amazing thread and I'm learning so much from it!

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before but I'd like to try and achieve a piano black gloss finish on the OB H-Frame I've just ordered. All the videos I've seen of sanding and polishing use circular pads and I don't think these would be able to access internal corners where three surfaces meet (like trying to polish a floor-wall-wall corner in a room).

I'm thinking I therefore have to paint and polish the panels before assembling them together? Are there any other options you'd recommend?