Panorama good replacement for RM-2?

Tweaker

« on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:09 pm »
I have a pair of VMPS RM-2's I am thinking about replacing as I am becoming less willing to put up with some of their idiosyncricities. First and foremost is the ribbon mids have such limited vertical dispersion that my wife at 4'10" gets a very different tonal balance than I do at 6'1" when listening seated, and of course seated is the only way you really can listen to these. I would also like to not have a speaker that requires  so much tweaking (adding mordite to the passive radiator,removing mordite from the passive radiator, adjusting the mids, adjusting the highs)  every time I make a system change or move the speakers a few inches (in spite of my username that kind of tweaking is not something I really care for). And finally I would like to have speakers that don't visually dominate a room quite so much. Don't get me wrong, these are incredible speakers and I do this reluctantly as I don't want to take a step backwards in sound quality. My research over the last couple of weeks on "bookshelf" speakers has been interesting. Seems like there are a LOT of good ones out there but I seem to keep coming back to the Panoramas as possibly having the best chance to replace the RM-2's and not leave me feeling like I 've made a huge mistake. As you might imagine  some of the qualities that are important are neutrality, speed,and dynamics. So what I'm hoping for is to get some feedback from those of you who own or have heard the Panoramas and especially I would like to hear from those of you who have heard both of these speakers. Are the Panoramas in the same league as the RM-2's? I don't expect the same bass extension,obviously, but that doesn't matter as I will be buying a Force sub to go with whatever speaker I decide upon.
Thanks-you!

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2005, 09:41 pm »
Hi Tweaker,
 You know my thoughts about the "Panorama's" in your previous posting regarding them compared to the GR Research "Diluceo" but I thought I would share a few more thought's.
I know what you mean about the dispersion limit of certain types of speaker's. I use to really like and thought there could be nothing that would ever come close to electrostatic panels for the highs but the sweet spot was so very very small. The sign on my wall said "Only one person at a time in the listening position"!  :nono:  until the ACI "Sapphire's". That was the end of electrostats!
Once you set the Panorama's in place, that is where they will stay!  :D
You will not have any problem with the height difference between you and you wife. The only tweak that I did was to plug the port's. I prefer the sound better when having a sub included.
WARNING! These ACI Panorama's are fast, dynamic, have superb bass extension, wonderful imaging and will make you stop what you are doing in other rooms of your home to listen to your system.
They sound great all over my home. I am very happy!  :D
I recommend taking ACI up on their 30 day policy.

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2005, 11:04 pm »
Thanks again, budyog, for the input.
I have owned Maggie's (SMGa's), Acoustats (Spectra 22's), and now the RM-2's and have decided to move back to moving coil speakers as the limitations and compromises are more than I am willing to tolerate. They can an do make beautiful music but I think that modern moving coil driver design is closing the gap somewhat in the areas of speed and resolution.
 I think I have narrowed the field to either the Odyssey Lorelei or the Panorama's. Will need to sell the RM-2's first, though.