THE 2500 DOLLAR SPEAKERS that SING

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: THE 2500 DOLLAR SPEAKERS that SING
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2016, 03:16 pm »
Being in a condo, make sure the speaker sounds good at lower SPLs! 

zoom25

« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2016, 03:35 pm »
Amphion One15...these have been blowing my mind this past year. I run them with the Amphion Amp100 and Amphion cabling. I'm also Canadian and got them locally from Studio Economik. It was one of the better priced deals available in Canada.

Easily the best sounding nearfields I've heard at lower SPLs. They are sealed design with a passive radiator which helps maintain linearity at low levels. Their imaging and ability to produce a phantom image is TOTL at its price. I've used bigger ATC SCM150s and these are just as fun/critical to use but in a smaller scale. Despite their size, they never sound boxy or limiting. I've stopped using my HD 800 because of these. No need to switch over to headphones like previously for resolution or imaging superiority. These blow away the LS50s that I've tried in multiple rigs. I feed them with a Bryston BDP-1 running WAVs going into a Dangerous Source running off a LPS.

The only caveat is that they dramatically get better with good room treatment. Other speakers and monitors that I've had in here sound relatively good and close in treated and untreated rooms. If you can get some kind of treatment, these will be the in the very shortlist for ultimate pair of nearfields at that price.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2016, 03:54 pm »
Keep your eyes peeled for a  used pair of Reference 3a Grand Veenas. They should come up in that price range and are excellent performers with any genre of music at anything less than less breaking (and ear damaging) levels. Highly recommended.

Shakey

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:04 pm »
:D  Hi everybody.  I sold my big stereo and going with a smaller one.  I bought an integrated amp with 225 hp .. An Anthem here in Canada used.
       I do love used as i'm on a budget now.  I have a Rega p9 for big plastic discs and an apple dig digital set up. I'm looking for a smaller speaker with sweet mids and uppers and being in a condo or appt i will not need large lows.  I am all ears ????  :D
           There are so many choices out there. I don't have access to brick and mortar stores and used is more my style now. I do have to admit the Philharmonic speakers look amazing .. but new and US exchange is a big turn off .  But i know,,  ya get what ya pay for !!   ha   Any help on the matter THANKS .  the dam paradox of choice gets me every time ,,,, ha   :D

ELAC the best $500 one will ever spend on a stand mounted speaker. Period.

charles

2bigears

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2016, 05:47 pm »
 :D  lot of good ideas here. Thanks soooo much everyone.  This is a mistake i can't make. 'GET-ER-DONE' like Larry says ,, but done well.
        A good point brought up about low level listening. I will miss my midnight basement concert sessions ,, ha.  My ears thank me.
           The 300's look cool, but i have rca only. Are studio speakers cold and sterile ?? Flavourless ?? I just cashed in on a new amp ,  darn.
              paradox of choice again ???? haha  :D

Escott1377

« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:18 pm »
I have heard these personally in Ed's house and was blown away by their performance.  They need to be located in the corners of your listening space, but we got past 100 dB and they were clean as a whistle.

Ed is a very straight shooter and his speakers represent a super value. 

He's got a link on the Transcendent Sound page for a DIY bucket sub that was in the room and was so well integrated to the point that I could not find it.

It's a no BS approach with top notch performance.

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/

zoom25

« Reply #26 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:56 pm »
:D  lot of good ideas here. Thanks soooo much everyone.  This is a mistake i can't make. 'GET-ER-DONE' like Larry says ,, but done well.
        A good point brought up about low level listening. I will miss my midnight basement concert sessions ,, ha.  My ears thank me.
           The 300's look cool, but i have rca only. Are studio speakers cold and sterile ?? Flavourless ?? I just cashed in on a new amp ,  darn.
              paradox of choice again ???? haha  :D

Depends on the particular brand and model. There are plenty of hi-fi speakers that I find absolutely boring. Same goes for pro world. On the other hand, a lot of mastering guys use full range hi-fi gear. Don't sweat about it. If low level listening is a must, then the Amphions I mentioned should be placed on the list. You can read the vast amount of reviews on the Amphion Beautiful thread on Gearslutz. People there have speakers ranging from $1000 to $30k and above. The One15 in particular get praised for its punchy and slightly mid front sound, which works in casual settings as well.

Just as importantly, you'll find a lot of comments on the low SPL performance of the Amphion.

sunnydaze

« Reply #27 on: 29 Nov 2016, 07:05 pm »
Get a pair of Omegas.   Add a sub.  Excellent approach for small to medium rooms, where neighbors might be an issue.  Listen nearfield, take the room outta play and likely preclude the need for room treatments.   Nearfield also means you can listen at lower levels and still be satisfied.  Omegas perform great in this regard, gelling nicely and delivering great finesse and nuance.  Sub offers good flexibility:  dial output up or down..... use it or not.......as determined by your tastes, time of day and tolerance of your neighbors.

I recently setup a 2nd system exactly like this and am blown away.   I've owned many VG floorstanders in the US$ 5k to 10k range, and this setup gives just as much pleasure, if not more!  Presence, transparency, PRAT, tone, dimension and musical involvement in spades.   Hugely enjoyable listening experience, with outta this world buck bang!

You can see my post here for further info:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146695.msg1569599#msg1569599

A local buddy has the same sub with a pair of Omega Super 3 XRS, and his nearfield setup is also tremendously enjoyable.

Another very experienced online buddy tells me he is getting great results pairing this same Gallo sub with both his Omega models: Super Alnico Monitors and Super 3i monitors.  (Over the years he has owned much drool worthy gear -- including VAC + Eggleston Works Andras -- and he tells me his Omega + low power amp + sub setups provide him the greatest listening pleasure he's ever experienced).

Buy used.  Assuming about US$ 500 for sub, you can easily do the entire setup (speaker + sub) for US$ 1000 to 2000, depending on Omega model.  Right now there are several Omega models FS on Audiogon and Canuck / USA Audiomart.   There's even a pair in British Columbia.

Added benefit of highly efficient single drivers is they widen your amp universe significantly, including single digit SET beauties.   Sell Anthem, buy either (for example)  Decware or Wolf Ear Audio amp (both are reported to have spectacular synergy w/ Omega), and you'll put green in your pocket.  Basically, any amp will drive the speaker, just a matter of taste and synergy.

Goto Omega circle here on AC and read all the glowing reviews from very satisfied owners.  Believe me when I say IT'S NOT HYPE!     :thumb:

Good luck in your search!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2016, 07:09 pm »
The 300's look cool, but i have rca only

You can buy rca to xlr adapters. Not an issue. Seriosly, contact Russell. They would not be cold and sterile.

Rocket Ronny

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2016, 07:42 pm »
 :D  i just bought the integrated ,,,, ha .. i'm done with buying ,,,, (4 now) ha.   
             not sure how to hook the 300's up to the integrated amp ???? plus the TT and Dig system. you would have to by-pass ??
                don't know about that ??  have to check the Amphions out and Omega ,, interesting ,,  thanks everybody. choices are dam many ,,,, :D

zoom25

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2016, 07:52 pm »
This was the thread I was referencing: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/949764-amphion-beautiful.html

DO pay attention to the other monitors/speakers they are being compared. This is serious territory. Enjoy! :thumb:

fidobite

« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2016, 08:08 pm »
Perhaps a pair of Andrew Jones designed Elac Uni-fi UB5 3-way @ $500 U.S.  A decent sub and you've got quite a near field music system. I've heard these at the RMAF and they're truly remarkable for the price!

2bigears

« Reply #32 on: 29 Nov 2016, 10:58 pm »
 :  :D.  Low volumes ,, smaller room and up close.  This is where i will be.
             Speakers that sound good under these conditions are of interest.  S,,, To use the 300's i can
               Run 'pre out' rca's to speakers to utilize their built in amps ?? Correct ??
                  I have a pair of Cardas rca-balanced adaptors ,  these will not affect sound at all i'm wondering ?
                     My last speakers were ProAc D38's ,,power hungry and sounded pretty good with volume.
                         :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #33 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:05 pm »
I combed the Canuck classifieds last night with this price bracket in mind.

Bigears are you out in the western part of the country?  Assume shipping is not an issue, so deals from anywhere should be OK.

If it were me, and I was moving out of my dedicated room (the horror!) into a shared space again, I would likely return to stand mounts.  Actually I still use stand mounts!  I have played with floorstanders, but really like good stand mounts.

I saw some NOLA Boxers listed, they have a great rep. 
I saw some Totem Rainmakers, they too have an excellent reputation. 
I really enjoy my Focal Electra 906's (from late 90's not the newer Aria 906 which has lots of followers too).
Saw a few Harbeths that might be worth a poke if you like their sound.
At least one set of PMC's caught my attention too - they love a good kick from an amp like yours!
Lastly I have a soft spot for the Dynaudio Focus 160's listed for $1600 or so from Audio Eden (good guys to deal with).  Those would also mate well with the grunt of the Anthem.

Good luck!

Some good, IMO, suggestions from Mark.  :thumb:

sunnydaze

« Reply #34 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:34 pm »
:D.  Low volumes ,, smaller room and up close.  This is where i will be.
             Speakers that sound good under these conditions are of interest. 

Single driver or simple 2-way, otherwise you risk incoherency / lack of driver integration or overpowering room.  This means monitor or small floorstander.  Use anything else at your peril.  Add a sub, if you need more fullness / heft / reach.

I'm in a small 10 x 11 room, nearfield setup, lowish volumes.  I use a small single driver floorstander + sub, 8 ft speaker spread, driver-to-ear is 7 ft.  Very unfussy to setup and integrate.  Sound is spectacular and spacious.

2bigears

« Reply #35 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:38 pm »
 :D.  A small 2 way it is ,,,,,  thanks all.  I really really appreciate the helping hands.  :D
            I put an offer on the Dynaudio 160's ....  have not heard of course ,,  dam bush living ..  :D
                i would love to hear Fritz monitors. those 7's look amazing.   :D

dburna

« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2016, 12:11 am »
:D.  A small 2 way it is ,,,,,  thanks all.  I really really appreciate the helping hands.  :D
            I put an offer on the Dynaudio 160's ....  have not heard of course ,,  dam bush living ..  :D

I am not related to the seller below, but I heard these in a pretty small hotel room at AXPONA 2016 and was mighty impressed.  For $1300, I don't think you will do better. Frankly, I don't think you'd do better under your $2500 budget.  They were *THAT* good.....and these *are* a two-way.  Of course, I don't know if you are close to Northern NJ/NYC.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147018.msg1572340;topicseen#new

-dB

2bigears

« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2016, 12:19 am »
 :D    that's another speaker i would love to hear.  dam ,,,, very interesting indeed.  :D
             would need him to ship to Canada.  he doesn't sound like he wants to ship to badly..  :D

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2016, 05:28 am »
:D.  Low volumes ,, smaller room and up close.  This is where i will be.
             Speakers that sound good under these conditions are of interest.  S,,, To use the 300's i can
               Run 'pre out' rca's to speakers to utilize their built in amps ?? Correct ??
                  I have a pair of Cardas rca-balanced adaptors ,  these will not affect sound at all i'm wondering ?
                     My last speakers were ProAc D38's ,,power hungry and sounded pretty good with volume.
                         :D

I'd highly recommend Omega, with your budget you could find some Super Alnico Monitors and they'd be perfect for the type of listening you described. It takes a super-premium speaker to come close to the speed, coherency and resolution of the Omegas, and even then the Omegas are better for nearfield listening vs a multi-way speaker. I've hear all the high $ single drivers like Voxativ, AER and Feastrex and Omega is competitive with them for a fraction of the price.

On amps, they work well with tubes and SS. For nearfield and low volumes a SET would probably be ideal but Omega is still the best choice at your price point and with your current amp, imo.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #39 on: 30 Nov 2016, 11:20 am »
My "babies" are commissioned single driver floor-standers in transmission line cabinets.  But single driver speakers do have their limitations.  You can search those out on your own.  DaveC113 makes good points but he's an Omega fanboy and your Anthem is not the right amp for high efficiency speakers.  Omega speakers are hard to audition without purchasing them.

Any open baffle (dipole) speaker will take 3 - 5 foot clearance from the front wall to optimally perform, not ideal for a small room.  And these are another high efficiency speaker.

mcgsxr and sunnydaze make good points.

Amphion is an intriguing option, but again how to audition?

I've heard the horn shoppe horns several times, very placement fussy, never found them them to be particularly impressive, and very short (can easily be blocked by furnishings).

The K&H O300's would be killer (overkill) but pretty much require you to sell the Anthem.  But many, many other smaller active monitors are available.  Check out audiostream.com