My V3s

sanlanman

My V3s
« on: 8 Oct 2008, 12:19 am »
I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of V3s and to go along with them a downsized sealed center channel speaker, that Jim and I have nick named the "VM Jr.". This center channel will be a one off specialty item that Jim and Dennis will colaborate on. It will take longer than normal to produce because they will have to tweak the crossover and general design to get the best compromise out of this smaller center channel. It will give up some deep base performance to the V Monster center. Hopefully that is all it will give up.

The veneer is quarter sawn red oak with a golden honey tone finish, and will have a shortened satin black baffles and satin black plinths. (Matches room trim and furniture.) Jim said today that he was packing to go to the Rocky Mountain AudioFest. He said some V3 cabinet work would get done this week but the center channel box will have to wait until he returns next week.

I really peppered Jim with questions and some second guessing. He must have a lot of patience. I hope I have enough patience while I am waiting on these speakers to be built and arrive on my doorstep.

I recently acquired a Cary Cinema 5 amp, and am upgrading my vinyl rig. I'm really looking forward to having these speakers in my system.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: My V3s
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2008, 01:07 am »
HI   Glad to hear you decided to take a chance with a less monster V3 center.  As I understand it, the drivers will be identical, but the baffle will be narrower due to the reduced interior volume demands.  The crossover has to be redesigned not because of the lessening in bass reach,
but because the different baffle dimension will change diffraction patterns substantially, and require adjustents in the driver transfer functions.  I have the monster center up and running in my HT system, and I enjoy watching jaws drop when visitors see the magnitude of it all as much as I enjoy the sound.   But I'm a little weird.  So I welcome the opportunity to design a version that takes up substantially less real estate.  The Visaton 6.5" woofers are extremely smooth (the best I've measured, actually), so I can't see any reason why this shouldn't turn out well.  Hopefully, it won't be a one-of. 

sanlanman

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2008, 12:47 pm »
Thanks Dennis, as I said on the AVS forum Salk thread:
YOU DA" MAN!

And Jim too! Jim and Dennis, The Dynamic Duo!

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2008, 01:56 pm »
Woohoo!  I look forward to your impressions and can't wait to see pics.  Enjoy!

P.S.  That Cary is a nice piece.   :thumb:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2008, 05:29 pm »
Dennis, your amp is on the way back to you.

No more "slow blow" type fuses for speaker fuses please.  They offer no speaker or amplifier protection at all!

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2008, 06:01 pm »
Glad to hear it.  I didn't touch the amp since its initial arrival, so I don't know what would be up with the fuses. 

I'm amending this post to allow for the possibility that I might somehow have switched fuses in a confused sleep-deprived stupor and repressed the incident.  Since I never buy anything marked as a "slow blow" fuse, is it possible that the Rat Shack sells fuses that are "slower blow" without labeling them as such?  I'll see if I have any unopened packages and bring them with me to Denver.  I think others might be interested in that question. 
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2008, 01:12 pm by DMurphy »

Nuance

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2008, 11:06 pm »
Dennis, your amp is on the way back to you.

No more "slow blow" type fuses for speaker fuses please.  They offer no speaker or amplifier protection at all!

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine
So ah, Frank, when is my amp going to be on the way to me?   :lol: