If you had the oppurtunity to get a DENON 5308 at 3,700$ brand new would you?

huey driver

Ok, I know its more than I need but I can get the 5308CI brand new for 3,700$.....YES I know, I don't need it but its a fantastic receiver at a fantastic price......what do you guys think?????  I kept my last receiver for 12 years so it would probably be money well spent but I may be trying to justify it to myself!

I'll be running songtowers QWT, songtowers surrounds and center

fsimms

Here is a thread that has info about the Denon 5308.  It has more information than you would want! LOL

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=864762

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a receiver.

Buy a cheaper receiver and spend the rest on amplification to pair with the receiver.

I am pretty darn confident that say $1200-1700 on a receiver or pre/pro with the rest on amplification will outperform the Denon 5308.

It also allows for an upgrade path at some point.

George

Nuance

I am with Zybar.  You could get a Modwright preamp and Parasound Halo amp for that price. 

Bigfish

No, as an owner of a Denon 3806 AVR I would not spend $3700.00 on a Denon Receiver.  If you are committed to an AV Receiver and want a top flight unit buy an Arcam. 

Good Luck,

Ken

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
+1 on the cheaper receiver with the features you want and good amps.  Besides better performance, when they change specs, connectors, etc. and you need a new processor, you only have to change the small receiver (and can use the old one for a 2nd system upgrade...)

Bryan

nicksgem10s

One of my best friends picked up this receiver a couple months ago.

While it is a big price tag for a receiver it is state of the art as far as features go.  It is a really nice receiver with more features, bells & whistles, & options than most people need.

I was very impressed with the sound quality and found it to sound great listening to cds & also vinyl.  It is a very solid unit.  

If it were me I believe I would go with one of the other Denon receivers and buy a higher quality multichannel amp or a different processor and multichannel amp.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer because it is a very nice sounding piece.  It just comes down to preferences and whether or not you want to deal with separates and are willing to get a better value by buying used or demo high end gear.

I don't need all that power so I believe I am going to be picking up the brand new Denon 2809CI which has most of the features of their higher end models and also includes preouts to use other amps with it.  This looks like the best value to me in receivers that are out right now.

THe 5308 is a very nice receiver and I don't think you would be disappointed.

-Nick

AliG

What's a good 7-channel amplifier?

richidoo

I started reading that avs forum thread from fsimms. Before the first page was done somebody said "not up to par for stereo..." and he was comparing it to his departed McIntosh gear. For HT it is a great achievement. Arcam makes a nice sounding 7ch receiver AVR-350 if you can deal with simple features and only 100+W.

AliG The little rotel 7 ch ICE switcher's supposed to sound pretty good for the money. There's a few nice reviews of it. Of course there is high end gear out there too. ;)