Ben Roethlisberger

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Ben Roethlisberger
« Reply #80 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:26 pm »
Let's face it, if you behaved as Ben has over the last few years in a "regular" job, you wouldn't stay employed.

George

exactly!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #81 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:45 pm »
It's offical, the NFL has suspended Roethlisberger for 6 games next season, unless NFL commissioner Roger Goodell decides to lower the game suspension total before the start of the season.

Bigfish ain't gonna like this latest news concerning the ongoing drama that is Big Ben's off field life.

Cheers,
Robin
Robin

lcrim

« Reply #82 on: 21 Apr 2010, 05:50 pm »
This won't win me any friends but that's never stopped me before.
I just read this thread and was struck by one thing.  Absolutely no one brought up the one common element in all of these events.. 
The consumption of alcohol was a major factor.

ctviggen

« Reply #83 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:02 pm »
This won't win me any friends but that's never stopped me before.
I just read this thread and was struck by one thing.  Absolutely no one brought up the one common element in all of these events.. 
The consumption of alcohol was a major factor.

So?

cujobob

« Reply #84 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:03 pm »
Drinking is never the problem.  Yes, it damages your body.  Yes, it impairs your thinking.  Yes, is the opposite of no.

With that being said...you give most anyone too much money and power/fame, they'll do stupid things and people will go after them to get what they have.  It's a recipe for disaster.  Add in the fact that fans are mostly idiots who believe either that all allegations are true or that no matter what the person's done, the team shouldn't suffer...and yeah...

PhilNYC

« Reply #85 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:11 pm »
Am pretty sure there was no alcohol involved in the Plaxico Burress case....

ctviggen

« Reply #86 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:12 pm »
Drinking is never the problem.  Yes, it damages your body.  Yes, it impairs your thinking.  Yes, is the opposite of no.

With that being said...you give most anyone too much money and power/fame, they'll do stupid things and people will go after them to get what they have.  It's a recipe for disaster.  Add in the fact that fans are mostly idiots who believe either that all allegations are true or that no matter what the person's done, the team shouldn't suffer...and yeah...

There is some evidence that drinking "moderate" amounts of alcohol reduces insulin resistance and reduces stress, both of which are implicated in, for instance, heart disease.  So, whether alcohol is "damaging" to the body is up to debate, at least at certain levels of alcohol intake. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #87 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:14 pm »

What?  :scratch:  Drinking and/or the recreational drugs are usually always the problem with athlete behavior problems. It's certainly the problem with Big Ben IMHO. Larry brings up a very valid point in the lives of today's athlete and the peer pressure that surrounds them when out on the town. The lives of the athlete's wifes are currently being documented on a VH-1 show called Basketball Wives.  :o

Cheers,
Robin

lcrim

« Reply #88 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:21 pm »
Phil:
Where was Plaxico when he shot himself?

PhilNYC

« Reply #89 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:26 pm »
Phil:
Where was Plaxico when he shot himself?

In the entrance-area of a night club.  They had just arrived (had not started drinking yet)...

cujobob

« Reply #90 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:48 pm »
He was going to a place to drink which is certainly related.  Drinking and the social atmosphere is certainly related.  If you do something crazy at a drug-house, but aren't high, that doesn't mean it wasn't drug related whatsoever. 
The atmosphere and choices that go along with it certainly play a role.

My comment was quite sarcastic...alcohol damages your liver, kills brain cells, and impairs your thinking.  A civilized nation should be one of sound mind, therefore I believe a civilized nation should not willingly partake in things that take away your control.  That's a debate for another day, though.

Lyndon

« Reply #91 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm »
PhilNYC said:
Am pretty sure there was no alcohol involved in the Plaxico Burress case....

But didn't he take a slug or two? :lol:
I'm just keeeeding, Phil.
But it really hurt the Giants season, and they can deny it all they want.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #92 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:27 pm »
So what is the variable in Ben's case? A suspension of 4-6 weeks is a lot of latitude in a 16 game season. If all the data is in and a decision has been made, why can't Goodell be precise about the length of suspension? Does it depend on the weather, the playoff implications, the age of his next victim, the price of gold, the mid term elections? When will they be able to say?

Also wondering what "next season" means. Does this suspension commence in August? Does it apply to pre-season games? Does it mean next year?

cujobob

« Reply #93 on: 21 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm »
If he's not found guilty of anything, I don't know that it makes much sense to suspend for a long time.  If my Detroit Lions ever make it to a Super Bowl, perhaps I should pay a friend to seduce a football player on the opposing team?  Good thing I won't have to worry about that day coming...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #94 on: 21 Apr 2010, 08:27 pm »
O.J. Simpson wasn't found guilty of anything either but he paid heavily in civil court while most people cheered.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #95 on: 21 Apr 2010, 08:41 pm »
So what is the variable in Ben's case? A suspension of 4-6 weeks is a lot of latitude in a 16 game season. If all the data is in and a decision has been made, why can't Goodell be precise about the length of suspension? Does it depend on the weather, the playoff implications, the age of his next victim, the price of gold, the mid term elections? When will they be able to say?

Also wondering what "next season" means. Does this suspension commence in August? Does it apply to pre-season games? Does it mean next year?

Fact is ole' Ben has a few other pending situations that haven't been addressed yet. It's a 6 game regular season suspension to date, to be further reviewed at a later date. That number could go down,, it could very wll go up depending on a number of mitigating facts as they surface.

Cheers,
Robin

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #96 on: 21 Apr 2010, 08:43 pm »

C'mon Tom...why ask some of these silly questions?  I know you are trying to make a point, but there are better approaches.

George

cujobob

« Reply #97 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:08 pm »
O.J. Simpson wasn't found guilty of anything either but he paid heavily in civil court while most people cheered.

And wasn't it a Duke LaCrosse team that was falsely accused, but will forever be tied to the accusations?  It's ridiculous.  Should they all be punished by the team too?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #98 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:14 pm »
Wasn't the Duke case about the children of Southern gentry benefiting from the biases of Southern justice? What's the opposite of a Kangaroo Court? Wallaby Court?

PhilNYC

« Reply #99 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:30 pm »
He was going to a place to drink which is certainly related.  Drinking and the social atmosphere is certainly related.  If you do something crazy at a drug-house, but aren't high, that doesn't mean it wasn't drug related whatsoever. 
The atmosphere and choices that go along with it certainly play a role.

How do we know he was going there to drink?  I met Dave Brown (former NY Giants QB) in a bar once, and he was drinking club soda.  Deion Sanders is reputed to have never had alcohol in his life.