Dipole subs with Tact room crrection?

RichardS

« on: 20 Oct 2005, 03:51 am »
Just replaced my corner front firing subs (RBH 1010) with a double stack of Linkwitz dipoles (eight 12" Peerless) placed just outside my Selah speaker arrays.

After room correction the mid-bass sounds very full and the deep bass is astoundingly detailed, yet it seems a bit overbearing at times.
Anyone have experience with Tact and dipoles?

A friend who runs dipole subs with DEQX has suggested a 3dB gradual roll-off from the crossover point to compensate for the fact that there is all that extra bass volume exiting the rear. Any other ideas?

Not that I was dissatisfied with the RBH--they are excellent--but I've never gotten out of my mind the positive experience I had some years back with my Genesis dipole subs.

Thanks
Richard

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2005, 01:59 pm »
You need a -6db/decade slope to account for the dipole effect.  Take a look at Linkwitz's site. IIRC the xo slope has little to do with the corner of the slope, it has to do with the acoustic properties of your dipole cavity.  You should take some measurements of your sub by itself and post them here and we can help you walk through what you need to do.

Do you know how to measure a dipole sub, i.e. extreme nearfield?