Listening Curiosities

Desertpilot

• Retired
Listening Curiosities
« on: 25 Aug 2023, 02:45 pm »
Hi Folks.

I almost always sit in my recliner (MLP) to listen to multichannel surround classical music.  Three X3s up front and two SVS ultra bookshelf speakers for rear surround.  Music reproduction is excellent.  BUT.
-- Sometimes, I will stand behind my recliner and the sound is similarly robust, if not even a little better.  I stand several inches taller than my X3s.  I've read, a few times, about some audiophiles who like to stand to listen to music.  Not me, I almost always return to my recliner (too old to stand for very long).
-- While sitting, I sometimes lean forward and the sound, again, is robust.  I would say the soundstage widens but the performance is more forward.  Still sounds great, though.
-- Lastly, I listen to a lot of solo piano music.  Sometimes, I wish I could move my recliner back several feet to get a more "audience" perspective.  I can't do this, so it's more of a "feeling" that I cannot resolve.

My recliner is my optimum position for music listening.  I just thought it would be fun to mention these curiosities.

Marcus

Early B.

Re: Listening Curiosities
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2023, 03:28 pm »
Try sitting on the floor.

Yeah, the conventional wisdom of tweeters at ear height doesn't conform to reality. Besides, all rooms are different, all ears are different, our music preferences constantly change, what we listen for is different, our moods shift, etc. Heck, I'm still baffled that you listen to classical music in surround sound. :o  But that's why this hobby is cool -- everyone has their unique approaches to it. Someday I hope to be where you are -- retired and rejuvenated by a daily dose of music.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2023, 06:30 pm »
One thing to consider is your chair.  If it’s got a headrest that blocks your ears from the rear of the room, that will cause some rear spatial information to be lost.  And standing up would bring that information back. 

If so, then try a chair without a headrest.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2023, 07:16 pm »
Try sitting on the floor.

No thank you.  My college days are long gone.

Yeah, the conventional wisdom of tweeters at ear height doesn't conform to reality. Besides, all rooms are different, all ears are different, our music preferences constantly change, what we listen for is different, our moods shift, etc. Heck, I'm still baffled that you listen to classical music in surround sound. :o  But that's why this hobby is cool -- everyone has their unique approaches to it.

I agree.  We are all different.  I love classical music in surround.  I am an active participant at HR Audio https://www.hraudio.net/.  They exclusively review SACD music (all genres but the majority is classical).  There are many "diehards" who purchase SACD discs only and, unlike me, never download.  Others are exclusively stereo but most are multi channel surround.  Right there you'll notice in practice what you said "everyone has their unique approaches to it."

Someday I hope to be where you are -- retired and rejuvenated by a daily dose of music.

Three years retired now.  I can't believe so much time has gone by.  I love every minute!  Our music hobby is a retirement blessing.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2023, 07:31 pm »
One thing to consider is your chair.  If it’s got a headrest that blocks your ears from the rear of the room, that will cause some rear spatial information to be lost.  And standing up would bring that information back. 

If so, then try a chair without a headrest.

Sorry Tyson, I gotta have my recliner.  I think I have it dialed in so the headrest is less of an issue.  As an experiment, I played surround music and lowered the rear channel gain to zero.  Whoa, the reduction in music "presence" was incredible.  Remember, the rear channels are mastered to create "theater presence" in your listening room but not compete with your front speakers.

As an aside, the major music studios, for example, 2L (Morten Lindberg), TRPTK (Brendon Heinst) and Spirit of the Turtle (Bert van der Wolf), are all now producing music in Auro 3d and Dolby ATMOS to further enhance "theater" sound.  I have an Auro 3d/ATMOS setup (for movies) but have not seen enough value to move from 5.1 surround to 9.1 music.

Marcus

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2023, 08:36 pm »
I agree, a recliner is very nice.  I was just speculating on why you might find the sound while standing to be so good, even though you are not in the sweet spot.

Mr. Big

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2023, 09:31 pm »
I am 6'4" what I hear in my chair and what my wife 5'2"hears is a different presentation for sure, I slouch down a bit in my chair, and everything snaps into place better, but thing is moving your listening chair forward and backward till image and bass snaps into place. Forget general rules use them as a starting point but every room is different, I've heard open baffle speakers 2' or less from the front wall and they sound really good, tight forceful bass while the midrange was open, and the highs were extended and natural.  This is why I am open to trying anything on speaker's placement till I learn how a speaker reacts in my room, It takes time, but you will be well rewarded, and you will really have a good ear due to the education on how the sound changes as you move them forward and back, closer together and toe-in, I go extreme then work my way out of it so I can really hear big changes that will happen then make the changes smaller and smaller till I lock them in a spot that sounds the best and when I think I have it, I might move them 1/4" in and out toe-in and if I lose what I had I know going back is the spot. Moving forward and back 6" at a time, if one way sounds better, I do the same back an 1" at a time, till they lock into my ear, then again move them just 1/2" if I lose the magic then I know which way to go to lock it back in. I do this over months, so I leave with it and get used to it, and then I make a change. I use 2-3 key recordings, vocal, small Jazz with strong standup bass, Piano, and lastly, classical that is well recorded. Once I'm happy then I am at the mercy of the recording quality but at least I know that and it's not my speakers or gear. I do focus on my room big time because that is the sound, we also hear as much as the speakers.

ric

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2023, 01:52 pm »
Good advice! I think many are either ignorant of proper setup, or their ears don't hear a difference, or WAF or the room dictating the speaker position--whatever it may be, paramount to have proper set up!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2023, 09:04 pm »
I am 6'4" what I hear in my chair and what my wife 5'2"hears is a different presentation for sure, I slouch down a bit in my chair, and everything snaps into place better, but thing is moving your listening chair forward and backward till image and bass snaps into place. Forget general rules use them as a starting point but every room is different, I've heard open baffle speakers 2' or less from the front wall and they sound really good, tight forceful bass while the midrange was open, and the highs were extended and natural.  This is why I am open to trying anything on speaker's placement till I learn how a speaker reacts in my room, It takes time, but you will be well rewarded, and you will really have a good ear due to the education on how the sound changes as you move them forward and back, closer together and toe-in, I go extreme then work my way out of it so I can really hear big changes that will happen then make the changes smaller and smaller till I lock them in a spot that sounds the best and when I think I have it, I might move them 1/4" in and out toe-in and if I lose what I had I know going back is the spot. Moving forward and back 6" at a time, if one way sounds better, I do the same back an 1" at a time, till they lock into my ear, then again move them just 1/2" if I lose the magic then I know which way to go to lock it back in. I do this over months, so I leave with it and get used to it, and then I make a change. I use 2-3 key recordings, vocal, small Jazz with strong standup bass, Piano, and lastly, classical that is well recorded. Once I'm happy then I am at the mercy of the recording quality but at least I know that and it's not my speakers or gear. I do focus on my room big time because that is the sound, we also hear as much as the speakers.

I agree, a listening room is as important as the audio system.  I fussed for a considerable amount of time in my room.  For example, I learned that my X3s cannot be closer then 3 feet from my front wall.  At 3 feet and closer, the music and especially vocals sound as if the band is playing in a tunnel with horrible echo.  My X3s sound best at 5 feet out.  Also, GIK absorber/diffusion panels are helpful.  I have not moved my speakers in two years (thankfully) and I am very pleased with the sound.  Luckily, my wife, while not happy, indulges me with these huge speakers 5 feet out in our Livingroom.

I wish I could enjoy a system like this in my early 30s with perfect vision and hearing.  Alas, not to be.  Technology has blessed us both on the recording/mastering side and the reproduction side with truly great sounding music.  I'm happy to enjoy it now.

Marcus

lazbisme

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2023, 10:10 pm »
have to agree with Marcus on advancements and aids to musical enjoyment in a home environment! room and setup are critical. also important is; do it now before your hearing fades away!!