Heil heaven... SOLD

jsalk

Heil heaven... SOLD
« on: 23 Mar 2011, 08:45 pm »
Over the years, we've been contacted by a number of individuals who were in love with ESS Heil drivers.  We've done a few custom speakers with this driver and one of the nicest designs to date couples the dipole Heils with the very competent 8" Visiton AL200 woofer.  The result is a speaker that is about 88db efficient.

The customer we built these for wanted a unique veneer and chose Australian Cyprus. Never having worked with it before, we were intrigued. We were able to book-match the sheets to create some very unique grain patterns.

When the cabinets were complete, we emailed the customer to wrap things up.  No response.  We tried emailing him a number of times over the next six months or so and still no response.  Since these great cabinets were taking up space in the shop, we decided it was a shame to let them go to waste.  So we decided to finish them up and make them available here.

Here is a photo...

Here's one with the woofer grills attached...

And a side view of one of the cabinets...

The tops of the Heil drivers are not all that attractive.  So we created a custom "cap" to help top things off in style.  You can also see the Madrone hardwood we used for trim.  Here are two views...

This is a one-of-a-kind pair with veneer we are probably unlikely to be able to obtain down the line.  They are priced at $2995 for the pair (plus shipping if required).

- Jim

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2011, 03:46 pm by jsalk »

jermmd

Re: Heil heaven...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2011, 09:27 pm »
Interesting. Gid Dennis design the crossover or were these made from some standard design? Have you listened to them? How do they sound?

Joe M.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2011, 09:47 pm »
Any specs on these ?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:14 am »
Interesting. Gid Dennis design the crossover or were these made from some standard design? Have you listened to them? How do they sound?

Joe M.

Yes, Dennis did the crossover for them. 

As for the sound, since the Heil is a dipole driver, they produce a highly ambient sound field.  Some will appreciated the open airy sound.  Others might prefer the more pinpoint imaging of a more standard driver.  The Heil has a little dip around 13,000Hz, so they don't quite have the sizzle of some ribbon tweeters.  But they are very smooth and, as you can imagine, quite detailed in the midrange area. 

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:18 am »
Any specs on these ?

I will check my notes tomorrow.  These were designed a while ago, so I forget the details.  But as I recall, they are about 88db sensitive.  I will have to check the F3 and other details tomorrow.

- Jim

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
Nice looking finish. What are the cabinet dimensions?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:11 am »
Beautiful finish.  Bet those would make great surround speakers.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2011, 06:16 pm »
Nice looking finish. What are the cabinet dimensions?

The speakers are 39" tall (with plinth and spikes), 10.5" wide and 15" deep.  They look smaller because the woofer section is only 31 1/2" tall (with plinth and spikes).

- Jim

jd3

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2011, 11:10 pm »
One of my all time favorite speakers were ESS AMT 1-B's (30+ years ago!).  I'd love to hear these.

Mountain-ear

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2011, 01:49 am »
Jim -

I always liked those ESS drivers, too.  Sent you a PM.

Steve

Mountain-ear

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:56 am »
I talked to Jim today and decided to take the plunge on the "Heil Heavens."  :D  Jim was very gracious in answering my questions, and I can't wait to see and hear them in person.

Thanks, Jim!

Steve

Meicheng

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:39 am »
Beautiful looking speakers.  Let us know how you like them!