Cowboy Junkies

BrysTony

Re: Cowboy Junkies
« Reply #160 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:48 am »
What puzzled me is that the sound is different on second track.....

Nap.  :thumb:

It is documented that "Mining for Gold" was not recorded in the first session but rather on a lunch break a couple of weeks later.  I believe that what I hear during that song is the ventilation system (air conditioning) of the church.  That sound continues for the entire track one and then fades out.  A subway train would not have lasted that long.  Am I missing something??
Tony

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #161 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:56 am »
There are a few sounds...the subway (Bloor St subway), a fan in the back of the church, and a foot tapping out beats occasionally.  As your system gets more resolving these things come to the forefront a little more. 

BrysTony

« Reply #162 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:05 am »
There are a few sounds...the subway (Bloor St subway), a fan in the back of the church, and a foot tapping out beats occasionally.  As your system gets more resolving these things come to the forefront a little more.

Thanks - interesting challenge to see what else I can hear on that track.  It could be my system or these old ears!
Tony

Napalm

« Reply #163 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:16 am »

Definitely a combination, I can't explain it just by one source.

Now I have to wait a couple more day to fully recover, I'm still half-deaf especially under 300Hz. It was funny the first day after the bang I was hearing everything like through a phone. Underwater.

Nap.  :thumb:

c_note

« Reply #164 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:22 am »
I hadn't listened to the "Trinity Session" for well over a year, so this thread inspired me to pull it out again.  I have what I consider to be a resolving system: Bryston CD player, 7B SST2 amps, Pass Labs preamp, Pure Note cables, and custom-made Selah Audio RC5G speakers .  This is a very good album, with good but not great sound.  On "Mining for Gold" I very clearly hear the church's air conditioning system and at the end of the track I hear foot taps and a verbal count of the beat.  I don't hear--or at least don't recognize--the subway system.  Would some nice inmate please list the time(s) in the track when they hear the subway--say 1:30, 2:20, etc.  Also, do you have subwoofers?  I wonder if these are very low tones requiring a subwoofer to be clearly audible?  Thanks in advance.  Also, for anyone wondering about a second purchase, a strong recommendation for "Lay It Down," in my estimation the Junkies best album.