BDA-1 -- News?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BDA-1 -- News?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jul 2008, 06:54 pm »

any one out there who has a bcd-1 and a sp2 with the same experiences like dropouts when using the digital outs/ins ?

any input is welcome :thumb:!

thanx,

alex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 17 Jul 2008, 07:03 pm »

any one out there who has a bcd-1 and a sp2 with the same experiences like dropouts when using the digital outs/ins ?

any input is welcome :thumb:!

thanx,

alex.

Hi Alex - Try using  'CODE 093' and set the COAX CD input delay on the SP2 to 0 seconds?
It goes from 0 seconds to 3 seconds and comes from the factory set at 1 second delay.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jul 2008, 09:26 pm »
 seems to work, james!

dankeschön :green:!

alex.

guest41324

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jul 2008, 01:07 am »
Hi Hadden

The jitter is hidden in the noise floor of the measuring gear so it is very low indeed.  I will try to get you an actual number.

james

The maximum jitter level that would be masked by the noise from a 24 bit dac would be 4 ps.
500 ps for 16 bit. Your dac has 4 ps of jitter? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #64 on: 18 Jul 2008, 03:33 pm »
Hi Hadden

The jitter is hidden in the noise floor of the measuring gear so it is very low indeed.  I will try to get you an actual number.

james

The maximum jitter level that would be masked by the noise from a 24 bit dac would be 4 ps.
500 ps for 16 bit. Your dac has 4 ps of jitter? 

Hi serendipity,

I will ask enginering but as I understand it the jitter is hidden in the noise floor of the AP analyser -- not the DAC -- so it is definitely very low.  The CD Player came in at 116 ps on independent measurements in reviews so we assume we will be in the same area with the BDA-1

james

niels

« Reply #65 on: 20 Jul 2008, 07:39 pm »
Just a few comments. The BDA-1 looks absolutely STUNNING! I would buy it for the looks alone.
The folks here asking for reviews, I dont think we need one! The product being a Bryston we know the results already. Cant in my wildest dreams imagine Bryston making a mistake here.....
By the way, putting the dac card in my B100 was one of the most rewarding things I ever did.....
Was just browsing, came over this dac : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330252468800 , amazing what you can get for your money these days if you like to fiddle around!

rancew

« Reply #66 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:13 pm »
I've read about limited number of "high-resolution" albums/music files being available for download, most recently in the latest TAS issue in the article on the Qsonix music server and the Music Giants online music store (which actually appeared immediately before the BCD-1 review). 

It is, of course, the hope of many audiophiles that in the future more and more music would be made available for download purchase in high-resolution and we would leapfrog ahead from the (now fading) hi-res optical disc format war between SACD and DVD.  This begs the question:

Can the BDA-1 (or any other DAC's currently on the market) handle/output true high-resolution, or simply upconvert up to 192K?  This is ultimately what we want, correct?

James - or anyone else - care to weigh in on this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 25 Jul 2008, 08:28 pm »
I've read about limited number of "high-resolution" albums/music files being available for download, most recently in the latest TAS issue in the article on the Qsonix music server and the Music Giants online music store (which actually appeared immediately before the BCD-1 review). 

It is, of course, the hope of many audiophiles that in the future more and more music would be made available for download purchase in high-resolution and we would leapfrog ahead from the (now fading) hi-res optical disc format war between SACD and DVD.  This begs the question:

Can the BDA-1 (or any other DAC's currently on the market) handle/output true high-resolution, or simply upconvert up to 192K?  This is ultimately what we want, correct?

Hi rancew,

Yes the BDA-1 is capable of decoding any sample rate up to 192K/24B.  The upsampling is optional (switch on front of BDA-1) on sample rates below 176K and 192K.

james

Mag

« Reply #68 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:29 am »
>>Can the BDA-1 (or any other DAC's currently on the market) handle/output true high-resolution, or simply upconvert up to 192K?  This is ultimately what we want, correct?<<

This is my opinion based on the BCD-1, any recording is going to be improved significantly. MP3's will sound better, but you cannot replace information that was lost. It will not have the detail of the original recorded wave. 320 mp3 for example played through BCD-1 sounds significantly better than a cd played through a conventional cd player. 128 will sound better but the details of instruments that's on the original recording wave is noticeably absent with critical listening.

This leads to the question, what is the benchmark for true high resolution? On my system the benchmark is either sacd or dts played through my Sony NS9100ES.

With sacd the presentation is warm, detailed, smooth and the bass has depth and weight. You can really feel the vibes! I can crank the volume to max and it won't clip the amp because of wave distortion. It will clip the amp because it's run out of clean power.

With Dts my best recording, Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere.
The resolution is sooo good that you hear as well as feel the harmonics of the bass guitar. I've been to the bar and listened to the bass guitar and this is the format that comes closest to capturing those harmonics. It's not perfect but pretty darn close. As well the resolution is so detailed that although I was not clipping my amp the extra detail over worked and over heated my Studio 20 monitor speaker frying something.
DTS the highs are sharp,smooth and the presentation forward and detailed. The bass does not carry the weight of sacd but is more articulate.

Which is better dts or sacd? IMO it's a preference. I prefer dts, because to my ears it's more live like. When listening to sacd for a few hours I felt fatigued and needed to switch back to the BCD-1.

With the BCD-1 a good recording is elevated to that of dts ballpark. It doesn't convey the same degree of harmonics. However being that the medium is from a 16 bit cd recording, this resolution is outstanding.

As well with the BCD-1 I have taken recordings like In-a-gadda-da-vida  through a 3-step process to restore the recording to very high resolution of dts. If wish you could hear the results of this, you'd be blown away.
This same manipulation of a wave can be done with the BDA-1. Only it would be a 2-step process. Making it much more practical for restoring poor resolution recordings.

If there is a drawback, it would be the forward presentation of the music which is very similar to dts. However this may be more due to my components such as monitor speakers or near field listening or lively room. So I urge people to audition the BDA-1 and listen for yourself.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jul 2008, 02:20 am »

Hi rancew,

Yes the BDA-1 is capable of decoding any sample rate up to 192K/24B.  The upsampling is optional (switch on front of BDA-1) on sample rates below 176K and 192K.

james

James, what exactly does the upsampling do? Does it increase the sampling to a higher level when cd is just 16/44.1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jul 2008, 10:55 am »
James, what exactly does the upsampling do? Does it increase the sampling to a higher level when cd is just 16/44.1?

Hi Dave,

OK that's a whole subjecton itself but I will try to put it in perspective.

From our DAC Brochure:

"UPSAMPLING:

After the input stage, the signal goes to the SYNCHRONOUS upsampling circuit (sample rate converter). This circuit converts the digital signal from one sample rate and bit depth to another. In the BDA-1, the sample rate is increased from the input sample frequency (32K, 48K, or 96K upsamples to 192K and 44.1K or 88.2K upsamples to 176.4K). The 16 bits of depth (the CD standard) is increased to 24 bits. The added 8 bits are filled with placeholder information. This upsampling  process provides a digital signal for later conversion to analog by the Crystal 4398 DAC chip. The upsampling process doesn’t add any new data, but does put the data in a form which can better be translated by the DAC as described below.

The advantage of this synchronous upsampling process is improved processing of the upsampled signal by the DAC chip, which was designed for higher sample rates and bit depths. There is also a noise shaping process implemented where “noise” within the audible spectrum is shifted up to frequencies above audible limits.

An added advantage of this upsampling process is that a totally new clock signal is applied, which results in significant jitter reduction."

Now all that being said Dave there are some who believe that you should always listen to the bitstream in it's "native" resolution. So 44.1 in 44.1 out please.  That is why we decided to allow the listener to turn the upsampling on and off in our DAC.  I think it will be interesting to get our customers feedback on this issue.

Hope this helps?

james
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2008, 11:39 am by James Tanner »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #71 on: 26 Jul 2008, 10:59 am »
Yes James, that helps. Thanks! I'm very excited about this product, as I'm sure you are as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 26 Jul 2008, 11:54 pm »
Hi All,

More feedback on the BDA-1 -this from one of our oldest dealers.

"Hi James:

Back from holidays and just a brief observation about the DAC.

Love the sound. I have tried it with my Sonos as discussed and it is a revelation making the result sound much less low bit and much more like a CD even when streaming low bitrate sources. The upsampling is marvelous and makes a substantial improvement when turned on. I can’t see any reason to ever switch it off.

I tried it as an alternate DAC for my heavily modified Sony SCD 1 (VSE Level 5+ modifications) and the Bryston did very well. Considering the mods alone on the Sony cost me more than the BDA1, I consider that very good performance. Excellent build quality and appearance as always from you, but I thought the selection of inputs and outputs was very well thought out including the dual parallel outputs which are very useful for me.

Certainly, a DAC that will carry me well into the future with its enormous array of capabilities. I am very impressed to say the least . It is the best stand alone DAC I have used. Keep up the good work.!"

Regards,
Lee Fitzgerald
Commercial Electronics Ltd
Vancouver, BC
Email: lfitzgerald@cemail.ca

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 29 Jul 2008, 12:48 am »
More DAC feedback:

"Hello James,

We have had possession of the Bryston BCA-1 External DAC for over a week now (thanks to a client allowing us to demo it first) and we can confirm to you that Bryston once again has a winner on their hands.  Following in the foot steps of the BCD-1 CD player I believe you are going to get a great response on this unit also.  Nothing in the market place at this price point that I know of comes close to offering the feature set it has (eight digital inputs!) and the sound quality.  As usual with Bryston components the build quality is excellent and it is a gorgeous looking piece of equipment.

We have had a chance to run a computer, an iPOD and a dedicated CD player through it as well.  In all cases the results were outstanding with a remarkable improvement over the source components.

You can expect an order from me personally for another one and I am sure many more orders from your many loyal Bryston customers.

Definitely begs the question – will we see a CD Transport from Bryston also…..

Sincerely,
Dieter Theiss
Spinners Sound Centre
Kamloops, B.C."

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 8 Aug 2008, 08:07 pm »
More DAC feedback:

Sent: Fri 8/8/2008 2:57 PM

Got the BDA-1!

I've got the DAC and have been listening to it for a couple of hours.  I am using a Slimdevicer Transporter to drive it......

As soon as I played the first few seconds of music through the BDA-1 I was surprised to hear it walking all over how the transporter balanced analog out puts sounded.  The BDA-1 is cleaner sounding --- all the way from the top to the bottom.  Just sounds very cleaned up from how the transporter sounded to me.  A haze, glare, grain or what not is removed from the sound.  Vocals are osem.  Also sound more musical less mechanical sounding too boot.  Overall sounds almost like a component has been removed from the signal chain or maybe more like a significant preamplifier upgrade.  Just very very very clean sounding.....

I'm using a B-26, Pair of Bryston 28Bs, and a pair of Nautilus 800s and coaxial output on the transporter with BNC connectors to the BNC Coaxial inputs on the BDA-1.

I am pretty sure I won't be using the analog outs on the highly rated transporter....osem :)

Thanks,
Jeffrey

mcullinan

« Reply #75 on: 8 Aug 2008, 08:28 pm »
More DAC feedback:

Sent: Fri 8/8/2008 2:57 PM

Got the BDA-1!

I've got the DAC and have been listening to it for a couple of hours.  I am using a Slimdevicer Transporter to drive it......

As soon as I played the first few seconds of music through the BDA-1 I was surprised to hear it walking all over how the transporter balanced analog out puts sounded.  The BDA-1 is cleaner sounding --- all the way from the top to the bottom.  Just sounds very cleaned up from how the transporter sounded to me.  A haze, glare, grain or what not is removed from the sound.  Vocals are osem.  Also sound more musical less mechanical sounding too boot.  Overall sounds almost like a component has been removed from the signal chain or maybe more like a significant preamplifier upgrade.  Just very very very clean sounding.....

I'm using a B-26, Pair of Bryston 28Bs, and a pair of Nautilus 800s and coaxial output on the transporter with BNC connectors to the BNC Coaxial inputs on the BDA-1.

I am pretty sure I won't be using the analog outs on the highly rated transporter....osem :)

Thanks,
Jeffrey

I totally agree! The sound is crystal clear... Almost shockingly so! Top to bottom clarity thats neutral and even! Brilliant.
Mike

NewBuyer

« Reply #76 on: 9 Aug 2008, 01:41 am »
...Vocals are osem.  Also sound more musical less mechanical sounding too boot... I won't be using the analog outs on the highly rated transporter....osem :)

"osem" - What is that?

Also James, just curious please: Is there any advantage to the BDA-1 using "synchronous" vs. "asynchronous" upsampling?

I also note that Bryston carefully describes the attention that has been put into the BDA-1 power supply. Does this mean that the BDA-1 is designed to perform its best, without needing a separate power filtration device? :?:

ashtarul

« Reply #77 on: 9 Aug 2008, 05:57 am »
"osem" = "awesome" perhaps?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 9 Aug 2008, 10:29 am »
"osem" = "awesome" perhaps?

Correct.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #79 on: 9 Aug 2008, 11:13 am »
...Vocals are osem.  Also sound more musical less mechanical sounding too boot... I won't be using the analog outs on the highly rated transporter....osem :)

"osem" - What is that?

Also James, just curious please: Is there any advantage to the BDA-1 using "synchronous" vs. "asynchronous" upsampling?

I also note that Bryston carefully describes the attention that has been put into the BDA-1 power supply. Does this mean that the BDA-1 is designed to perform its best, without needing a separate power filtration device? :?:

Hi Newbuyer,

Synchronous upsampling is an 'exact multiple' of the original native sample rate so EX: 44.1 goes to 176 and 48 goes to 192 for instance.  There is less manipulation of the native sample rate required. Also being able to turn the upsampling on and off is a great feature. Some feel that listening to the input in it's 'native' form is the better option as then is no manipulation going on at all.

All our power supplies are designed to provide good regulation and filtration but I was refering to the fact that the analog and digital power supplies are treated as totally independent circuits. We have found that any contamination between the digital and analog circuits creates noise and distortion. Even to the point that if a digital trace, signal or power, is routed a layer above or below an analog trace it can induce noise via capacitive coupling.

OSEM - translation - Awesome