just bought a DualShock 4 controller

Rclark

just bought a DualShock 4 controller
« on: 27 Oct 2013, 11:28 pm »
At work fiddling with it. The console is 19 days away but the controllers are available now.

Vast improvement.  I use the ds 3 every day as the ps3 is now my music player via Music Unlimited, and I use YouTube, Netflix, Vudu HD, and of course I game.

So holding the physical DS4 controller in hand the improvements are immediately obvious. Yes, it is a superior controller in every way and feels astounding.  Fits in my hands much much better, everything about the build is superior, it now feels like a high quality device versus the old controller.

The sticks are better, wider, tighter, the handles are fat, and have a grippy texture. The d pad feels greatly improved, and the 1080P 1:1 clickable mouse pad in the center is intriguing.

going to be a fabulous console!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: just bought a DualShock 4 controller
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2013, 12:47 am »
The sticks are better, wider, tighter, the handles are fat, and have a grippy texture.
That alone is fantastic.  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2013, 04:18 am »
 :green:

yep, absolutely zero hyperbole, they simply nailed the design and construction of this thing. You're gonna love it.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:02 am »
Sounds exciting.  Is the ps4 actually due in 19 days?  that would be great as our ps3 just quit working.
Anyone have a ps3 worked on?  Did you send it in to Sony, local or what?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2013, 01:26 pm »
What symptom are you having Rich?

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2013, 01:46 pm »
What symptom are you having Rich?
First of all it wouldn't stream netflix.  Then it wouldn't play a game or DVD.
I tried unplugging and then replugging it in.  Nope.  Vents appear to be open.  It just spins and does not boot up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2013, 03:11 pm »
Ahh gotcha. I thought I could help, but that's a new one on me.
I fixed a couple using the "fan cycle" trick but I think yours is something different.

Bob

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:19 pm »
Sorry to hear about your 3! My Slim model is going strong after daily use for 4 years.

Yeah the 4 is due out soon. Really excited to use it as my music server as they have measured the unit's noise output from startup to an hour later and it was something like 27dB from mechanical noise/fan. So where I will have it, completely inaudible. And the new chips and circuits in there should be quite a sonic upgrade from the ps3. As their advertising claims, "greatness awaits".

The Vita remote play functionality (and compatibility with tablets and phones) is also day 1. So if you have a Vita, you have a portable PS4.

MaxCast

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:23 pm »
Ya, my son has a Vita.  It will be interesting to see how well that works.
Wish the 4 played the ps3 discs tho.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:27 pm »
There's video of it being demonstrated. Everyone who's tried it said it works flawlessly as both Vita and Ps4 were designed for this type of streaming in mind. Ps3 wasn't.

Ps4 has Wifi Direct so use that in house, but you can use regular wifi, anywhere in the world, as long as it's a decent connection.. Pretty sweet.

Ps3 backwards compatibility will come from their Gaikai streaming service. Otherwise.. expect a severe price drop on 3's eventually. They'll be cheap as hell soon.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:30 pm »
Anyway, can't get over how this controller feels. If you're looking forward to next gen gaming, they got this part covered.

About to plug it into the ps3 (currently only works on the 3 with a tether) and try it out.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:50 pm »
That alone is fantastic.  :thumb:

Bob I just tried Killzone 3. Battlefield 3 next. Think precision and comfort  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:09 am »
Ahh...you're teasing me now.  :lol:

Berto

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2013, 12:46 am »
I got a ps4 coming. Been out of console gaming since Sega genesis in the late 80s, so should be a blast.

I'm wondering if I can use the ps4 as a server to playback DSD?

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:50 am »
Right on Berto, look forward to seeing you on there. You me and Bob for some BF4.

Any sim drivers? Hoping to get an group together for Drive Club when it launches. And Gran Tourismo 7 will be glorious. I'll get my first force feedback wheel for that.

As far as DSD and all that, all someone has to do is write the app for it. Sony has welcomed Indie development with open arms, anything PC ports right over with minimal effort as it is an X86 cpu with 8 GB of ram. Of course it has audio dsp chip as well.

Myself, I'm satisfied with their Music Unlimited service for $60 a year, sounds extremely good on my system, actually beat my cdp (er, matched, I should say), which blew my mind. So I'll be keeping that. Works on all Android  devices too so it's on my phone and tablet. Larger selection than Spotify and works on the console, which rocks.

But for hirez stuff, pretty sure all that has to happen is someone writes an app. So there's an opportunity for some of you here.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2013, 05:25 am by Rclark »

Rclark

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:31 am »

Just picked up the Energizer brand DS4 charger. Pretty cool, holds two, blue glow when charged, looks Starship Enterprise material.