Capital Audiofest "CAF" 2018

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Capital Audiofest "CAF" 2018
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2018, 12:42 am »
XXL, 100% cotton... shrinkable, if you need to...  :duh:

Just ask me!

XL?

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2018, 12:04 am »
XL?

That's why they make hot water & hot clothes dryers!  :lol:

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2018, 07:34 pm »
I will be showing my Carrera BE stand mounted loudspeakers in room 312 with ModWright.  Please stop by & say hello.  Looking forward to visiting with everyone!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2018, 09:54 pm »
I will be showing my Carrera BE stand mounted loudspeakers in room 312 with ModWright.  Please stop by & say hello.  Looking forward to visiting with everyone!

Hey Fritz,
Looking forward to seeing you! I'll have a shirt for Fritz the Cat!

Cheers,
Pete

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:03 pm »
What's with all this spamming?

:nono:

(Pete gets a pass because he gives things out)

:green:

dB Cooper

« Reply #45 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:13 am »

Quite impressed with the Frizes I've heard.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #46 on: 1 Nov 2018, 02:10 pm »
What's with all this spamming?

I don't see any spamming, stating what room a vendor will be in on a thread about the show isn't spamming.  Going on about how wonderful your product is or offering show prices etc. is.  Whether or not a vendor offers libations wouldn't excuse that.  Basically promoting your product isn't allowed, stating where it can be seen and heard is.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 1 Nov 2018, 09:27 pm »
I don't see any spamming, stating what room a vendor will be in on a thread about the show isn't spamming.  Going on about how wonderful your product is or offering show prices etc. is.  Whether or not a vendor offers libations wouldn't excuse that.  Basically promoting your product isn't allowed, stating where it can be seen and heard is.

It's a joke. It was implied by giving a pass for free swag.

Helped HAL with setup, met Fritz, and bothered Pete for a minute.

Andrew JC

« Reply #48 on: 2 Nov 2018, 12:41 pm »
Looking forward to the show. Just not sure if I'll be going today or tomorrow. I'm a little disappointed that there will not have the CanJam going on. Not sure what's behind that.

dB Cooper

« Reply #49 on: 2 Nov 2018, 02:03 pm »
AndrewJC, I'm disappointed about CanJam too. Read an interview with Gary Gill where he was talking about trying to build an audience among younger 'philes. Headphones are one of the best ways to do that.

Anyway, enough talking about the show... Getting ready to 'wash the stink off' (take a shower) and go. If I get any good pics I'll share.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: 2 Nov 2018, 02:58 pm »
Look forward to some pics! 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 2 Nov 2018, 02:59 pm »
Please let me know how Room 521 sounds and take some pics!   :popcorn:

Andrew JC

« Reply #52 on: 2 Nov 2018, 04:51 pm »
At the show, no Zu Audio!

dB Cooper

« Reply #53 on: 3 Nov 2018, 03:43 pm »
I think I'm done with audio shows for awhile. Just not feeling it anymore, for several reasons. For starters, I am that rarest and most forlorn of breeds: A working-class audiophile. Room after room of mid-to-high-five-figure systems just don't speak to me. When I went  to my first CAF (2012) the tagline was ‘everything from the humble to the stratospheric’ or something to that effect. The ‘humble’ has all but vanished with a very few exceptions (about which more later). And I'd have to say I was fairly disappointed in the show in general, and two ways specifically:

One, there was very little headphone presence. No dedicated space. I think that's a mistake. As I've told CAF directly, if they want to bring in more younger people, as they say they do, $500 interconnects and power cables won't do it. Headphones will. CAF has gone back and forth on this; seems like they only have 'CanMania' on odd-numbered years. I believe Woo is showing, but I didn‘t go to their room, and I saw some guy selling cables down in the “pit“.  Last year I found some headphones (Beyer Amiron Home) in the CanJam space, which I bought.

Second was a specific exhibitor, (not their fault) which I will get to.

Plus, I peeked in the door of some rooms and had a feeling of "been-there-done-that": MTM floorstanders, check; I've heard about a hundred of 'em. 6.5" woofer standmounts, ditto. Big horns, not a rookie.
I skipped rooms that bring the exact same stuff every year, rooms with 'Haunted House' lighting, and turntable rooms (no offense intended; I just don't spin vinyl and have no plans to.) So as a result of focusing sharply and with an entire product category (headphones) virtually nonexistent, I was able to get through everything I wanted to see at the show in about 2 1/2 hours. Those who have seen some of my other posts lately know that I have been burning the candle at both ends and would just rather stay home and chill today than do the room to room gauntlet, especially since I'm not in the market for anything.

More general beef had to to with the fact that yesterday was a warm day and the AC in the rooms did not seem to be on. Understandable on one level; you wouldn't expect to need it in November. But it had two unfortunate side effects: One, a number of rooms were uncomfortably warm and stuffy; and two, quite a few rooms seemed to be keeping their doors open, perhaps as a result of problem number one, which led to massive crosstalk in a number of cases between adjoining rooms. The weather is more seasonal today so today should be better in that regard.

With that, some specific observations and thoughts from the limited time I was at the show:
Andrew JC: Yep, Zu was a no-show.  :scratch:

jwtrace, I didn't make it to 521. Don't know which specific product(s) there you were wondering about, but Amphion (showing in 521) had two excellent floor standers in 509. One was about 5K and one was about 20 K. Visually low-key and a nice natural sound.

Spatial had some very nice open baffle speakers. I was impressed by the balance and the base power. With something like 3 12 inch woofers, I guess they ought to, but I thought open baffles had a reputation for watery bass. These didn't.

Went to the Vanatoo room to look at their inexpensive little Active monitors ('Transparent One' and 'Transparent Zero'. The gentleman in the room (forget his name) was very friendly and had a no pressure presenting style. Nice little speakers. Neither was what I would call 'high end' in terms of definition, but then again, they weren't what I would call 'high end' in term of price either.

Last year I ignored it, but this year I went to the million dollar VAC/Vandersteen room. Last year, a lot of people seemed to be getting 'woodies' over this room, saying things like "Even if you know you'll never own a system like this, you owe it to yourself to hear it just so you can hear what hi fidelity can be." (That was from either TAS or Stereophile IIRC; I forget which.)

Bull.

The system had fairly good detail, but it was on the bright side. I was fairly close to, if not in, the sweet spot, and far enough back that that should not have been a problem even though complex driver layouts sometimes seem to shrivel the stereo image to 'X-marks-the-spot' proportions. Imaging was good, but not exceptional. I've heard it equalled or bettered by numerous systems at five cents on the dollar (The Vandies cost around a quarter mil.) I noticed two things about the imaging which I found very strange. First, the sound seemed to be coming predominately from the top part of the tower.
(I heard a similar effect from the Carver Towers last year.) Second, the stereo image was 100% between the speakers. It came to a dead stop at the speaker position. There was no sense of space outside of the speakers whatsoever. I have heard speakers costing a few grand provide this. If you want to impress your friends with how much you spent, by this system. If you want to impress them with sound, I would suggest buying something at 1/10 or 1/20 the price and sinking the money into real estate instead. It will hold its value a lot better when the next 'audiophile darling' product takes its place in a year or two. This isn't even a 'statement' system; it's a 'rich idiot' system IMO. Also, I've noticed as time goes on that, in general, the more complex the speaker, the less I like it. "The more complicated the layout, the harder it is to create the illusion of a single source" is how an AudioNote rep put it once.

Lastly, the biggest reason the show was disappointing for me was the one exhibitor I came specifically to see: Ohm Acoustics, with their very unusual design. I've heard about them for years and years and finally had a chance to hear them-or so I thought. It took a while to find them, and when I did I was in disbelief. I don't know how else to say this, but here goes: Their set up was easily the worst I've ever seen at any audio show, going back almost 40 years. I don't blame them, though; I think they walked into the situation sight unseen.
Here's the set up as I came upon it- one of their smaller systems out in a hallway, under a staircase, right next to another exhibitor who was (as is customary for this particular exhibitor) playing their system loud AF, and with the door open (perhaps because of the temperature issues mentioned earlier).

Photo one:

Here is a shot down the hall, showing what the Ohm system(s) (there were two) were up against (remember, the other room was loud, close by, and open) :

In addition to having to compete with the system next door, Ohms was forced to compete with themselves. Here is a shot from partway up the staircase, showing the HT system Ohm had shoehorned into the alcove directly above their other system (and completely open acoustically) :

And lastly, here is a shot of the fronts of the HT system shoehorned into the little alcove (partly visible in the previous shot) :

Acoustically, the situation was a complete fustercluck. At the listening position of the small system under the stairwell, you were listening to three separate systems at the same time. The crosstalk between the two Ohm systems above and below each other- separated by only an open staircase- was massive in both directions. The downstairs system had to compete with the system at the end of the hall too, so that was a three-way fustercluck from that spot. Upstairs you couldn't hear the system at the end of the hall quite as well, small comfort I'm sure for the poor baztyrds who had to schlep those beasts up those stairs (I didn't notice any other way up there.)

It was impossible to make any kind of evaluation (even an 'under-show-conditions' evaluation) of the speakers under these conditions. After wanting to hear them for years (and coming to the show specifically to hear them), I left after the time it took to take the photos. It was pointless trying to listen. I feel sorry for Ohm. They put a ton of work into a no-win situation. Seemed like nice people too, with kind of an aging-hippie vibe.

I hope they come back, in a better space, but I wouldn't blame them at all if they didn't.

Lastly, on a lighter note, like Ohm, an unusual speaker design, the Planter Speaker:

And I finally got a Qobuz trial code so that will doubtless instigate another thread by someone or other around here...

Follow-on note: Ohm had (according to Stereophile) an 'obscure' room off of the second of the two spaces that were already hard to find. I wonder how many other people missed them too, or were turned off by the dismal first impression and therefore didn't investigate further. Stupid me. I was told by a show spokesperson that Ohm had two spaces... I found two spaces (or one-and-a-half spaces, depending on how you look at it)... They were both terrible due to the crosstalk (Ever been stuck between two loud car stereos ata traffic light?)... I left. Oh well.

« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2018, 03:04 am by dB Cooper »

dB Cooper

« Reply #54 on: 3 Nov 2018, 04:44 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm by dB Cooper »

dB Cooper

« Reply #55 on: 4 Nov 2018, 01:33 pm »
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2018, 05:58 pm by dB Cooper »

AndrewA

« Reply #56 on: 5 Nov 2018, 12:43 pm »
Am in almost complete agreement.  (1) 3 systems competing with each.  The small one was lost tucked up the stairs in an undefined space.  The upstairs one was nearly drowned out by the "home theatre" set up next door, where Ohm were playing wham/bam movies at ear-splitting volume. (2) As the photo shows, the two 5000s were jammed together.  I tried to listen through the intrusions from next door and below.  The overly loud sound was everywhere and nowhere--I know they're supposed to be omnis (or whatever the correct term is), but this was ridiculous.  In the "library" next door, the room was more conventionally sized and shaped, but I'm not going to make a purchasing choice for listening to music after a couple of minutes of Marvel comic soundtrack turned up to 11.

ricmon

« Reply #57 on: 5 Nov 2018, 04:25 pm »
I must state that of all the years that I have been going to CAF this year was outstanding.  I was actually over whelmed.  Also it must be state that I have NEVER seen such a divers group of audiophiles.  Big shout out to CAF!  :beer: :singing:

Ric

Andrew JC

« Reply #58 on: 5 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm »
I have to echo much of what dB Cooper wrote about the show. Some rooms were so unbearably hot that I walked in and turned around and walked out. Not sure what happened but it did take away from the show. Also the CanJam portion being absent was disappointment to say the least.  Some of the headphone gear is more moderately priced and lends itself to more time just enjoying the music. 

I did make to the Ohm demo. The setup on the main floor was not active at the time. I was drawn upstairs by The Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why off Hell Freezes Over. Yes, the area they were in made me think what did they do wrong to end up there. Taking that into account I thought the sound was impressive. Coupled with the fact they paired modest equipment for their speakers. They had an Outlaw Audio retro receiver, Oppo DVD player, Bluesound audio streamer. They had an amp for the subs but I forgot what they were running.  

I went to the Salk and Anti Cable room. I have never listened to Salk speakers before but I'll admit I was blown away.   I listened to SRV - Tin Pan Alley a song that if I had a dollar for every time I played it I could easily afford the speakers! That was my highpoint of the day I picked my jaw off the floor and walked out happy.

I did enjoy the Vanatoo demo. Full disclosure I listened to the T0's last year at the show. I was not in the market for speakers but I did end up buying a pair! They are now in my dining room paired with a sub. Looks like the In-laws are going to get a pair for Christmas. Well you get the point I like these speakers. With a discount show price of $320 for the pair I think they are a steal.

I did happen to listen to the planter speakers. Very unique product with an impressive sound. However, it comes with price to match the smaller teak ones I think are $6000 for the pair.

I did stumble on another budget setup that I liked. That was in the Markaudio-Sota room. Literally sitting on top of a bunch of empty boxes pushed into the corner of the room was the system. A PS Audio Sprout (older version), an UTurn Orbit turntable, and the Markaudio Tozzi One speakers. Again factoring in a less than ideal setup I felt they did an outstanding job of playing Pink Floyd - Money off the Dark Side of the Moon. They had a full range sound that filled the room.

Overall for the time and money for the show I did have a great time and look forward to next year!

dB Cooper

« Reply #59 on: 6 Nov 2018, 02:57 am »
I have to echo much of what dB Cooper wrote about the show. Some rooms were so unbearably hot that I walked in and turned around and walked out. Not sure what happened but it did take away from the show. Also the CanJam portion being absent was disappointment to say the least.  Some of the headphone gear is more moderately priced and lends itself to more time just enjoying the music.

There was little to no headphone presence which I think was a big mistake for a show that purports to want to build the 'hobby' amongst the younger crowd. (Whether an $80K audio system can rightfullly be considered a 'hobby' is another conversation.) Headphones are the one segment of audio, aside from 'smart speakers', that is actually growing. Seems unwise to ignore it. As I told CAF in an email, $500 power cables aren't going to lure the next generation of audiophiles.