Cryset out of business, all being auctioned off Owner ill.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Sad to say a member of the audio community has fallen ill. And Ron Sheldon of Cryoset has closed the store, and all the things he owned related to audiophilia are being auctioned off. You can still go to his store, however if you attempt to checkout the following message is there: "
Sorry, Ron Sheldon of Cryoset is very ill, and won't be able to complete orders at this time."                  
Plus at Audio Asylum for only a brief time a post mentioning all his stuff is being auctioned off and a link. Sadly A.A. decided to remove the post. However I have a copy of it. And I ONLY post this to aid his family and himself in this difficult situation. Everything, tubes, tube testers, endless stuff.. 37 pages..                  
https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Audiophile-Auction-with-Album-collection/154799/Catalog.asp?aid=154799

charmerci

Re: Cryset out of business, all being auctioned off Owner ill.
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:35 pm »
Yipes!  :o  One can easily lose all their savings there!

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2018, 10:10 pm »
Well, rats!  I liked Ron's tubes.  I should have bought more when I had the chance.

The locals are going to get the lion's share as bidders have to make their own arrangements for shipping if not a local bidder.  The best position to be in is at the auction live so you can pick up and haul off after it's over.  And they are charging 9% sales tax so you are going to pay even if you are from out of state.

Best wishes to Ron and his family.

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2018, 03:16 am »
I'm very sorry to hear this. I bought a bunch of excellent tubes from him and he was very helpful and easy to deal with. I hope he gets through whatever he is dealing with. Best wishes to both him and his family.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2018, 05:37 pm »
Yep, this really sucks!  If I'm reading this right, the man has to liquidate his business assets and sell off his private collection to pay his medical bills.  I would love to help him out on this, as his collection is absolutely mind boggling, but google says he lives 3,094 miles away from Boston.

Do any of our California friends know of a local service that would pick up, pack and then ship auction items to me?  I've emailed the auction company but haven't gotten a response.

Thanks!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2018, 08:36 pm »
That particular auction site uses ShipHawk (805) 355-2432. The bottom of the home page has a link to shipping and each auction item also has a link to shipping estimates, just fill in the specs. For example just the cost of shipping the first item, the 50th anniversary Mcintosh power amp (135 lbs) to Boston would be $400 or $789, depending on how fast you want it shipped. There’s an additional charge for packing.

Cheers,
Lester

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:02 am »
Yep, this really sucks!  If I'm reading this right, the man has to liquidate his business assets and sell off his private collection to pay his medical bills.  I would love to help him out on this, as his collection is absolutely mind boggling, but google says he lives 3,094 miles away from Boston.

Do any of our California friends know of a local service that would pick up, pack and then ship auction items to me?  I've emailed the auction company but haven't gotten a response.

Thanks!

Screw that!  Let's rent a truck and split the costs!

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2018, 04:11 am »
^ That would be the way to do it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2018, 08:16 pm »
Tempted to look into one-way flights!

galyons

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2018, 02:57 am »
This is truly sad and should not happen to anyone in this country!!  Ron's wife was there and seemed in relatively good spirits.  Hopefully they will net a considerable amount from the auction. Almost 1,000 lots!

I went to the auction preview. It is overwhelming to say the least.  Most of the folks there were either hardcore vinyl folks, (far worse than me!), or tube dealers.  Most of the vinyl and tube lots are very big and very poorly arranged.   Many randomly mixed genres with no thought to organization. Some tube lots were better organized, but many are a mish mash.  Sadly this will not maximize the auction proceeds. But in defense of all concerned, the auction is being held at their home and the place is packed to the brim!!

Some nice equipment, but hard to determine if functional. 

All that being said, this is gonna hurt my cash position!!!

Cheers,
Geary

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2018, 12:48 am »
Anyone on here get anything? I bid on 40 or so lots but only won 4; all tubes. All the equipment went higher than I was confortable risking without seeing. Did any of you get the Canary monos? Quite a bargain in the end.  I hope it was a successful auction for the family.

orientalexpress

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:42 am »
Only tubes and a lot  vinyl for me.

galyons

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:14 am »
I won 25 lots.  Spent way TOO MUCH, but....  I got mostly vintage amps, transformers, parts etc.  I build tube equipment, so that was my focus.   The auction company was/is poorly organized.  I went to pick up my lots today. I called, went to voicemail , and texted that I would be there today for pick up. Although pickup was to be from 10am to 3pm, no one showed from US Auctions until noon. Folks were stacked up trying to get in the gate and then delayed once they reached the house. One, yes only ONE, staff person to help. Ron's wife had to help, which IS NOT right. She worked closely with me, but i could tell she was worried that the rest of the folks were pretty much poorly supervised.    The one staff person said he had to leave around 2:15, ( tough 2 1/4  hour workday!), so I have to drive an hour again tomorrow to get my remaining lots. 

I  passed on vinyl.  Sadly the lots were such messes that I felt I would be buck$ ahead just buying the few that I wanted elsewhere.

Hopefully the family will net a good amount of money at the end of the day.

Cheers,
Geary

Ericus Rex

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm »
Did you see that sleeper Audio Note pre kit?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2018, 12:05 am »
I've dealt with Ron when I was doing a cryo experiment a few years back.
Is the sonic difference in cryoed tubes noticeable?  Yes was the answer.

He's a good man, sad to hear about his troubles.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jan 2019, 08:19 am »
Sad to say a member of the audio community has fallen ill.

Elizabeth, some angel just wrote your name down on the "first class seats list".

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2019, 01:48 pm »
 :o