6U5C Replacement

chcmuzza

6U5C Replacement
« on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:36 am »
Hi

I have two box L5 / G5 which uses the 6U5C tube for rectification in the P/S. Based on information on the interweb about the EZ35 / 6XGT being a direct replacement I ordered a pair, but the number of pins on the base of the EZ35 / 6XGT is different (greater) than the 6U5C.

Can I do a straight swap or is this not possible?

Thanks for your help.

Murray

Gopher

Re: 6U5C Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:41 am »
I believe your looking for a 6x5 or 6x5gt.

chcmuzza

« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2018, 09:51 am »
Thanks Gopher, my bad, I meant 6X5. I understand the EZ35 is functionally equivalent, which is what I purchased. The issue is the pins on the EZ35s I have are not the same as the factory fitted 6U5C. Is an issue?

Thanks

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:47 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with that tube designation, but if you can verify it's an electrically equivalent tube then you should be fine.  Different countries often designate tubes with different designations.  Without looking into it, I would bet the 6u5c is a Soviet tube.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:59 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with that tube designation, but if you can verify it's an electrically equivalent tube then you should be fine.  Different countries often designate tubes with different designations.  Without looking into it, I would bet the 6u5c is a Soviet tube.

Be careful - they might be electrically equivalent but if their pin-outs are different, you'll need an adapter or you might cause damage.

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2018, 04:19 pm »
Thanks Gopher, my bad, I meant 6X5. I understand the EZ35 is functionally equivalent, which is what I purchased. The issue is the pins on the EZ35s I have are not the same as the factory fitted 6U5C. Is an issue?

Thanks

I think you need an adapter!

chcmuzza

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2018, 06:58 pm »
A quick update, on the advice of the tube vendor who stated the EZ35 and 6U5C were the same I inserted the EZ35 into the P/S. Success! No smoke but a better, clearer and slightly more dynamic sound.

Apparently the Russian tube didn't have the pins that are unused by the tube configuration whereas the Mullard does.

Cheers