Speaker Setup - SoundScapes

vintagebob

Speaker Setup - SoundScapes
« on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:34 am »
This thread is about setting up Salk SoundScape speakers in a room.  I have SS10s.

Several years ago I started a thread about setting up Salk HT2-TL speakers.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78833.0

I understand that every room is different and that therefore there in no one solution fits all answer.

I'm looking for general observations, like how close you are setup to the walls, distance between speakers, amount of Toe-in, room treatments, EQ implementation, etc.

I remember seeing one comment saying that too much sound treatment in one of the Salk show rooms messed up the soundstage of the SS12?

Maybe Jim could share his process for setting up a show room?

My room is 14' by 25' and mostly open on one side.  I have a good bit of absorption in the room.  My current setup is 30" from the side wall and 48" from the front wall (1.6 ratio).  My speakers are 115" apart.  My toe-in is strong but not pointing directly at the listening position.

My listening potion is 115" from each speaker because I remember Dennis saying that you needed 100+" for driver integration on the HT2-TLs.  I'm not sure if this is still the case with the SoundScapes.  This also sets up a "golden triangle".

I recently spread them out to increase the bass response and that seems too have worked.  I'm still not sure about the center image.  There may be some slight smearing of some violin notes and some female vocals.

I will be interested to see what other folks have found while setting up their SoundScapes...

Mudslide

Re: Speaker Setup - SoundScapes
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2018, 02:54 am »
Yep, all rooms are different.  But okay...my suggestion...

Jim set up a pair of SS12s in a similar sized room with ample absorbing materials for a GTG we had a few years ago.  Because there was seating for perhaps 10 in the room, the SS's were set up with very little toe-in in order to satisfy a number of listeners.  My wife and I sat in a few different chairs around the room.  My comment, more subdued that my wife's, was WOW!!  Those SS's were absolutely amazing as they sat.

So I'd only suggest that you might want to check out different toe-in angles...starting with lesser inward angles.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:54 am »
I've never used more than 5 degrees toe in for any Salk speaker ever with good results.

Your room and seating is just as important to get it to all gel together. Go for that 62% spot back from the front wall and if you can get them 8 feet apart and have your ears 9 feet from the tweeters, that's a good starting position. Certainly don't jam them against the walls. A few feet from the side walls and maybe 3 or more feet from back wall to baffle is also a good start.

For comparison my Wilsons are outboard of where I had the Exoticas and they almost point straight at me. The imaging is stellar. A different breed from the Salks. Having owned 6 or 7 pairs of Salks they all ended up almost completely parallel to the side walls up to the limits of the room boundary spacing.

That picture is close. Less angle, another foot forward and maybe 8 inches closer together. Then adjust your seat. Don't sit in a null.

Wig

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2018, 06:38 pm »
Your room size is similar to my previous listening environment and BRM is spot-on. Bringing them out if possible another foot or so will increase bass response and moving them closer to 8-8.5 Ft should give you an expansive soundstage with pin-point imaging. I also listen nearfield and find my listening distance is 2-3" further than my speaker separation.

In regards to toe-in, it's a personal choice and your Salks has great extension and keeping toe-in to 5-8 degrees will give you more air, ambiance and a more natural localization of instruments within the sound-stage.

Also, try lowering your waterfall and red tree acoustic panels another 12", this will help in the imaging department since you could be getting early reflections in that area on your front wall.

Wig

vintagebob

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2018, 11:24 pm »
"Also, try lowering your waterfall and red tree acoustic panels another 12", this will help in the imaging department since you could be getting early reflections in that area on your front wall."

That is an interesting idea!  Thanks.

Yosemite Falls and Giant Sequoia tree.  :wink:

vintagebob

« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2018, 08:47 pm »
OK, I moved the speakers more into the room and further away from the side walls.  I also reduced the toe-in and lowered the 242 Art Panels a foot.

Sounds pretty good but I'm still evaluating...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2018, 01:00 am »
Pull them out another 8 inches give it a listen.

Wig

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2018, 03:05 am »
I'm sure you will have them dialed in soon! What helps me with toe-in is listening to music with lots of ambiance, the more you toe the less ambiance perceived. Have fun and happy listening.

Wig