Power On/Off Solutions

drubin

Power On/Off Solutions
« on: 1 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm »
Wondering what folks are doing about a power on/off switch in their Ncore builds.  I started with an IEC chassis inlet that included such a switch, but it failed and I decided to replace it with a different part that doesn't include a switch.  So I'm looking for a simple way to add convenient on/off to my dual-mono amp. [Let me add that I have very little technical knowledge or DIY experience, so be gentle with me. And I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere.]

genjamon

Re: Power On/Off Solutions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:25 pm »
I have a nAmpon switch, but no power switch and am likewise looking for a solution that doesn't require me disassembling all the connections to the rear plate just to add a power switch to my monoblocks.  I realize I could add one to the front panel, but the front panel is actually two panels, and I shudder at having to drill a precise hole through both of those layers and have them align.  The back panel drilling was hairy enough for my novice skills, but I'd be staring at my ghastly work constantly if I screwed up the fronts.  Something simple would be nice, and with only smallish circular holes to be drilled if any.

Any cool ideas that wouldn't impact sound quality?  Do switches really impact sound quality anyway?  I know there are those who swear by swapping out fuses in power supplies - if that has any merit, I suppose a poor quality switch would also impact things.

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:29 pm »
Wondering what folks are doing about a power on/off switch in their Ncore builds.  I started with an IEC chassis inlet that included such a switch, but it failed and I decided to replace it with a different part that doesn't include a switch.  So I'm looking for a simple way to add convenient on/off to my dual-mono amp. [Let me add that I have very little technical knowledge or DIY experience, so be gentle with me. And I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere.]

Hey,

I'm worried that you could get hurt by wiring something incorrectly with mains voltages.  If you send me your parts, I will build your amps for you.

Thanks,
Robert

jmbulg

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2012, 02:48 pm »
I have the power on/off on the IEC chassis but actually never use it. Amps are always on and when I leave for longer time, I switch off on the single power supply into which I plugged both:

http://www.amazon.fr/BLOC-MULTIPRISE-PARAFOUDRE-SURTENSION-PRISES/dp/B002A0KRCO

Much easier than to switch on/off two monoblocks which are placed near speakers.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:24 pm »
Considering how little power they use at idle, and how much better they sound when kept powered up, I would tend towards no power switch on the AC side of the SMPS600.  If you really want to have a hard off switch, consider that the fuse in the SMPS600 is 5 amps, then, get a SPST, 15A toggle switch, and wire that in series with the hot side of the IEC to SMPS600.  With 15A capability in your switch there will not be any concerns about it affecting the sonics, and it will be beefy enough to last a long, long time.

bhakti

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2012, 05:58 pm »
I went with using an iec connector with fuse and a separate NKK switch just above it.  I would recommend a DPST (double pole single throw) switch.  Double pole assures both lines are open when switched off.  This is safer when using balanced power or a incorrectly wired wall outlet.

Can post pics if wanted.

I think in the future I will put a mute switch (using the nampon) on the face of each monoblock in addition to having the mains switch on the back.

drubin

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2012, 06:01 pm »
Pics would be great, bhakti.

drmike

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2012, 11:28 am »
bhakti,
where did you grt these switches?
drmike

bhakti

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2012, 03:13 am »
Sorry for the delay - jet lagged from pairee  :(

Will take some pics tomorrow and list details.

bhakti

« Reply #9 on: 5 Aug 2012, 03:42 pm »
Here is a pic showing the iec connector with fuse and the separate NKK switch.  Will get the switch details from work next week.

forgetu

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:41 am »
That will be great!
I also plan to put an LED push-lock switch. However, most of them are for 12V or 24V with 250VAC, 5A. If I can find led pushlock switch that supports 15A/250VAC, that would be terrific ^^

cab

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:09 am »
I just purchased my amp NC400 amp module and power supply.  Along with those, I purchased the power on/off switches from Hypex.  I am surprised nobody has mentioned those yet in this thread.  Is there a reason to not choose those?  Just seeking to learn.  Thanks!  Mark

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2012, 02:15 am »
I just purchased my amp NC400 amp module and power supply.  Along with those, I purchased the power on/off switches from Hypex.  I am surprised nobody has mentioned those yet in this thread.  Is there a reason to not choose those?  Just seeking to learn.  Thanks!  Mark

Welcome to AC!   :thumb:

mkcarnut

« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2012, 09:22 pm »
Thanks!  I am learning already by seeing the answer to my other post and reading through various threads.  I still haven't seen anyone posting they are using Hypex's power on/off switch and am curious if there's a reason not to.

Thanks for any advice!

Mark

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2012, 06:19 pm »
I suspect it's because completing the installation is just a bit easier without having to wire in an on/off switch. I have a couple of mini switches I'm considering putting in, but I haven't gotten around to it.

mkcarnut

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2012, 01:00 am »
That makes sense...I almost skipped it myself, but I am feeling a need to have a switch..."just because".  They were not pricey and it should be easy enough to do.  So, I'll go ahead an do it in my first phase of the build instead of waiting to do it later.  As we all know...things that get put off until later...well, "later" becomes a looooonnnnngggg time in the future!