adding tube amp applicable for me?

enrique

adding tube amp applicable for me?
« on: 29 Sep 2007, 02:37 pm »
I was pondering the idea of maybe adding an eastern electric minimax amp for my setup but dont know enough about tubes to make an inteligent decision.I have a rotel rsx1056 powering System Audio speakers(sa17500,sa720,sa505's).also have a minimax cdp which i really like alot,maybe it's the tube effect regardless love this player.so impressed that i'm actually seeking advice regarding the tube amp.I use my sytem for everything via the receiver(HT,TV,2ch and multi music,Lexicon rt10 sacd/dvda).But the minimax i understand is only 8 watts,not knowing enough about tubes i've seen or read somethings about the low wattage of tubes being as good or better than ss amps.Would i benefit anything with a tube amp or is it out of the question for me knowing what i have and my use of my system.Any recomendations,opinions and advice would be whole heartedly appreciated.thanks

I wanted to add that i suggested the eastern electric but am not necessarily set on it any tube suggestion would be appreciated.All the tubes i've seen advertised have be up to about 50 watts,just dont understand the low wattage compared to ss amps.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2007, 02:55 pm by enrique »

contrarian

Re: adding tube amp applicable for me?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2007, 03:25 pm »
Appropriate wattage will be determined by the speakers you are driving.  At 90db, your speakers might need 10 or more watts, depending on how easy to drive they are and how loud you like to listen.  Generally, the higher wattage tube amps are of a push-pull design.  So, I would first determine how many watts you will need to adequately drive your speakers, then choose a tube amp designed around the type of sound you want.  Different tubes have characteristically different sounds.

Your best bet is to talk to the manufactures or dealers (speakers and amps) and others with similar setups.  Some less expensive brands that sell nice integrateds are AudioVista, Almarro, Melody, Red Wine Audio (ss), etc.......

Do some search/research on this website and you should get some good info.

enrique

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2007, 03:36 pm »
thanks,what is the push-pull design?Also i'm using a receiver which is why an amp as opposed to an integrated.

markC

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2007, 03:58 pm »
Unless your reciever has a seperate "pre amp out", you will need a pre+an amp or an integrated to repace your reciever.

enrique

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2007, 04:08 pm »
Yes it has pre amp outs,the receiver is a rotel rsx1056.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2007, 03:35 pm »
Tube power amps typically have poor (low) damping factors, which results in flabby (bloated, uncontrolled) bass.  If your speakers produce full/deep bass, this effect will be magnified.

Tube power amps also burn through tubes much faster than tube pre-amps.  Tube power amps come in a variety of circuit designs.  Single ended (SET) provide a purist approach but limited power.  Push pull normally offer more power.

Damping factors and tube life is primarily why many try a tubed pre-amp first.

Yes the Minimax CDP is a league above the Rotel.  I consider my Rotel receiver a plow horse (dull, but well built) versus a lot of the thoroughbred stuff discussed here at AC.