Lots of new stuff on the 'blog

Yoda

Lots of new stuff on the 'blog
« on: 6 Jul 2006, 05:05 am »
Jim,

I've really appreciated that you've been continuing to post new ideas and progess in your 'blog.  Lots of good things and new directions going in there.  All that forward momentum and refining things for the really big show.

I like the UFO shell and want one to retrofit mine when they are available.  The hockey puck has it's appeal, but not the same as the new deal.  Especially for listening to SunRa, Stereolab, and the recently acquired Orson Wells first vinyl issue...

In the new site, there didn't seem to be a direct link for the HagDAC except from the chime page, but I assume it will continue to be available?  I'm still lusting for the Chime after my test experience with it, but it has to wait at the moment and may be staged later...hence the previous but probably backwards idea of building the tube stage and piggybacking from the dac in my player.

The Ripper seems almost ideal...I assume it could be built without the phono guts so that I have a 2 line level input to USB converter?  What PC software setup would you recommend for digitizing and editing into individual track files? 

Matt

hagtech

Re: Lots of new stuff on the 'blog
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2006, 05:44 am »
continuing to post new ideas and progess in your 'blog'

I realized that the blog tends to act like a real-time report card.  It keeps me focused and on my toes.  Like you said, forward direction.  If I mess around and waste time, there's nothing to post.

I like the UFO shell and want one to retrofit mine when they are available

Ha!  I wish this were possible.  It is what I originally intended to do two years ago when I invented the UFO.  Unfortunately, I don't have the resources or contacts or financial backing to go for a high production run of low cost chassis pieces.  Theoretically, a cheap design could be made and sourced from China.  But I think you have to shell out for 1000's. 

Best I can do with my limited resources is to design a good-sounding and good-looking UFO.  The discovery of emachineshop.com makes it possible, finally.  However, my landed cost will be about $200 each.  And that's before I paint all 293 strobe dots, assemble, and put a circuit board inside.  So assuming conservatively $250 in raw parts, what do you think the retail price is going to be?  That's why I am pushing the quality and performance way up - because I think I can only sell these fully assembled.  Seems to me only those folks spending $3000 or more on a turntable will be  buying one of these.

didn't seem to be a direct link for the HagDAC except from the chime page

My web reorganization took it out.  Too confusing to have both HagDac and Chime pages.  I ended up doing a lot of email explanations!  Besides, very few people wanted just a HagDac.  Sure, I still sell them for $499, but only by special request. 

backwards idea of building the tube stage and piggybacking from the dac in my player

This might not be straightforward, as the tube stage has probably way more gain than you need.  The HagDac output is less than 50mV!  Find me another DAC that does that. 

could be built without the phono guts so that I have a 2 line level input to USB converter?

The Ripper ended up with only one input - normally a phono.  It can also be built for a few bucks less having just a line level input. 

What PC software setup would you recommend for digitizing and editing?

I'm using audacity, which is a great piece of code.  And low cost.  There are plenty of others, but I'm not going to get into the software setup business.  I'll make a new web page that does both a foobar2000 and asio and asio4all combination, and the audacity setups.  That should get everyone online with "freeware".  And hopefully pave the way for other possibilities. 

jh :)

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2006, 01:10 pm »

The Ripper ended up with only one input - normally a phono.  It can also be built for a few bucks less having just a line level input. 

G'morning!

So if I get the above right, if one were to set the Ripper up to only have line level input like you mention, it would pave the way to going thru my Cornet 2 before going into the Ripper, correct?
Having not heard the Bugle parts that you had inserted into the Ripper, would you say that going external with the Cornet 2  stage including another pair of interconnects would be a step forward, back, or reasonably 'sideways' with a 'tubular flavor?'  (I really do like the way my Cornet 2 sounds!)

Hmmmm.....Would it be a reasonable thing to think about putting the Ripper (sans chasis) inside the Cornet2 case, even if the case was changed for something bigger?

I'd been wondering this when conversations bounced about the Ripper.  Thanks!!

Bill

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2006, 03:17 pm »
Yup--I too have the Cornet II and really like it, and didn't want to duplicate something I really like with good components in it.  Also still like to record radio broadcasts, hence the desire for two inputs.  Guess it wouldn't be hard to add a selector and bypass the built in phono.

DeadF-like the idea of potentially putting this board in the cornet box.

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2006, 05:30 pm »
pave the way to going thru my Cornet 2 before going into the Ripper

Yup.  The C2 can be used if the phono section in Ripper is bypassed.  Build it either way.  Works for tuner or tape or any other line level signal. 

I wanted to have two inputs, but was limited in choice of boxes available from DigiKey.  Nothing I liked that was cost-effective in the right size.  So I dumped the second input.  I went in a bunch of design circles, as typical.  You can read about it in the blog.  Ironically, in the end I bought the entire chassis, so did not have to limit myself.  Such is half-kit design.  Hands are really tied by forcing an easy DIY build.

As far as putting a Ripper into a C2, I can't see how there is enough room.  A C2 is pretty packed in.  Only open volume in that chassis is below the input tubes.  Not sure this is a good place for the toroidal transformer.  The Ripper PCB is something like 4" x 5".

jh

DeadFish

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2006, 12:05 am »
pave the way to going thru my Cornet 2 before going into the Ripper

Yup.  The C2 can be used if the phono section in Ripper is bypassed.  Build it either way.  Works for tuner or tape or any other line level signal. 

jh

This absolutely sounds like a great design feature to me.  I'd always wanted some access for some old simulcast tapes.
Push-comes-to-shove, after trying it, one could always connect the Bugle parts to compare.  I imagine I'll get curious, eventually.... :wink:

Yeah, I was wondering  if it would be too 'noisy' in the C2 for the Ripper.  No big deal, all things considered.

Looking forward to getting started!

Regards,
DeadFish

SHIF

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2006, 02:34 am »
... What PC software setup would you recommend for digitizing and editing into individual track files? 

Matt, I've been very happy using Wave Repair software for recording my LPs to CD.  The freeware version has enough features to get you started.  After you discover how great Clive's program is, you'll want to register your installation so you can use all the great features.

Check it out:
http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

Cheers,
-Steve