Iso Cup Review

driguy

Iso Cup Review
« on: 25 Nov 2009, 11:01 pm »
I have been using Herbies tube dampers for about two years now. Just before writing this review I took off one set of my tube dampers which I had not done in quite a while. Wow, I did not realize how much better things were with them on. Like most audio improvements, if you can hear a small improvement right away it seems that you will get more out of it as you relax and stop listening for that particular change in sound over your music collection. Try it with an update you have made that is easily reversed. You may be surprised at how much of an improvement there really is.
The tube dampers really made things smooth out. This was on a pair of Emission Labs 300b XLS tubes that on their own have very sturdy bases and thick glass as well as very good plate supports. I have dampers on all my tubes including a pair of 26 tubes in my preamp and the rectifier and driver tubes in my amps.
OK, enough of the review that I should have posted a year ago. On to the ISO Cup review. I had been using a custom stand for my modified LadyDay 300b amps. They are made from 2" thick black walnut with spiked feet. I also used some dampening feet on the amps themselves. This really worked well for several years but as my system has increased in resolution and I have stopped spending on more costly upgrades I thought it may be time to check out a better solution.
Well after my positive experiences with Herbies stuff and the positive postings on the cups I decided to give them a try. Besides, he gives you a trial period and they are really not expensive at all especially in comparison to all those other products out there. As usual the cups arrived quickly in the mail. Nearly instant gratification in comparison to my building and upgrading my gear.
Well, on to the instant gratification part. I put them under the amps with no stands at all. The bottom of the amps is a 16 gauge metal piece with lots of open venting slits over about 80% of the bottom. I used three of the cups on each amp with two at the rear under the trannies and one at the front under the signal tubes. Four is not really a good option for me as the amps sit on an elevated section for my fireplace which is made of adobe bricks topped with a layer of regular bricks. Not the flattest of surfaces but very solid with NO vibration problems.
Well, instant gratification and smiles. More of the natural sound that most audiophiles are searching for. Call it what one may depending on your level of distaste for audiophile descriptors; lack of grain, less edginess, more relaxed top end, less tizziness, more focus, detail etc. Basically a more natural sound that will quickly allow you to enjoy your music more and more often. More of your collection will sound better especially those marginal tunes that may be on the verge of making you cringe just a little from the edge they (seem to) have.
What more can one ask from a product? Thanks Herbie for the service and the products that WORK and don't make me feel foolish for spending (too much) money on.
Tony

The Killer Piglet

• http://www.next-technology.com/
Re: Iso Cup Review
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:52 am »
I just tried out (over the last week) 6 of the Iso Cups, in sets of 3. All my gear is on a 2" maple rack, on 2" maple blocks. The amps are on the floor, but also on maple blocks, in this case 4".

system details are here:
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/2709.html

The first place I tried them was under the amps, but as has been my experience in the past with any thing soft under them or under the DAC for that matter, the sound got just too soft.

I then moved a set under the transport, in place of the Nordost Pulsar points I had been using there. OK, looks like a keeper. A bit more open. Not huge, but an improvement.

I then tried the other set in various spots, in each case replacing Herbie's Own Tender Feet (which in turn had replaced cork/rubber thingies):

- under the pre's maple block (the pre already resting on pricey Stillpoints/Risers, which it loves) - a keeper.

- under the transports maple block: yes, I like it.

- under the DAC's maple block: another winner.

In each case, it was a loss of hash and edginess, particularity in voices; slightly more detail but with quite a bit less grain. Recordings which were borderline harsh became more enjoyable and ultimately this is how I judge the value of any change. I have not noticed any loss of punch in these positions as I did under the amps.

Thank you for posting this timely review, I had gotten on the site to price the cost of adding more of these little critters, and my mind is fresh from trying them out in different positions. Your your approach to listening resembles mine, as does your general experience with the cups.

KP

david12

Re: Iso Cup Review
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:15 pm »
I have been using the isocups for some years now, mainly under a very heavy valve integrated. Recently I aquired some second hand stillpoints, to try a bit of mixing and matching.
  I compared them with the isocups and after careful listening, they both seem to have similar effects and benefits. Pretty good, when you consider the price difference