Is my venerable old Audio Alchemy DAC ready to be euthanized?

ellisonb

I have the iteration: the DDE 1.0. It;s been a flawless workhorse since I bought it when it first came out. I also got the upgraded power supply at the same time. It has been attached to several cd/dvd players thru the years, always using a digital coax connection (I tried the optical early on and immediately found it inferior).

I have an extremely limited budget for such things, since I'm retired. But I see the Schitt Modi3e available online for $99, and if I really want to be bad I can find technologically superior, cheap Chinese dacs on Aliexpress for like $15.  Those scare me, but I have to wonder if/how much I'm missing by continuing with a 30 year-old outboard dac. My system is pretty resolving, so differences would be apparent. Thoughts, anyone?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Dont disregard this DAC let it run more some decades til it broke. Electronics today lasts a couple years and die in poor ICs.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Schiit make it pretty easy to test the waters with their equipment.  I had the Modi MB for a couple years and was thoroughly impressed by that sweet spot in inexpensive gear. I actually preferred it to their Bifrost 2/64 which sounded good but overly hi-fi. If you were going to test, that'd be my suggested landing pad. Worst case you're out shipping and a small restock fee.

SET Man

I have the iteration: the DDE 1.0. It;s been a flawless workhorse since I bought it when it first came out. I also got the upgraded power supply at the same time. It has been attached to several cd/dvd players thru the years, always using a digital coax connection (I tried the optical early on and immediately found it inferior).

I have an extremely limited budget for such things, since I'm retired. But I see the Schitt Modi3e available online for $99, and if I really want to be bad I can find technologically superior, cheap Chinese dacs on Aliexpress for like $15.  Those scare me, but I have to wonder if/how much I'm missing by continuing with a 30 year-old outboard dac. My system is pretty resolving, so differences would be apparent. Thoughts, anyone?

Hey!

Newer doesn't always mean better.

I built my DAC back in 2006 based on Philips TDA1543 chip which came out in 1991! Over the years, my local audio friends here in NYC would stop by and brought over the DAC they have. Recently one bought over Topping E50 and one bought over Denafrips Ares II. After some comparison... I like my DAC better the Topping E50 for sure. The Denafrips have better bass but my TDA1543 DAC have better midrange. So, at the end I didn't feel the need to change it.

So, don't get rid of your old DAC just yet! Do what nlitworld said... try out new DACs with a good return policy. Try it out and see. Or if you're lucky like me to have a local audio friends that could bring over their DACs to try out in your system, go for it.

WGH

My system is pretty resolving, so differences would be apparent. Thoughts, anyone?

I have never heard the Audio Alchemy DDE 1.0, based on the Stereophile review you could do better, especially after 33 years. The review was fair but not exactly glowing either.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-alchemy-digital-decoding-engine-v10

If the DDE 1.0 used the Philips TDA1543 chip I would have said keep it but it uses the Philips's SAA7323 Bitstream DAC/filter chip which I have never heard of before or since. Try out some of the newer DACs that have a return policy. You may find you like the smoothness, detail, depth of field, imaging and tighter deeper bass or after so many years it could be a shock to your sensibilities and you keep what you have.

System synergy is important, SET Man's system is a lot different than mine. I had a DAC that used the Philips TDA1543 chip, I got bored with the sound but that's just me. My current DAC has better bass and midrange and treble which work well with my speakers but also cost more... a lot more.

You didn't mention what speakers or electronics you use, little things like that help people make suggestions. There are musical and lovely DACs like the Audio Note ANK lineup or little screamers like what is found on AliExpress and 100's of DACs in between. Try the Schitt, never heard one myself.

ellisonb

Thanks all for your input. It sounds like sound advice all around: Possibly get a returnable unit but don't automatically assume the DDE will be all that lacking. I also am a firm believer in the system synergy, so a critical evaluation in MY system is what's really important.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
You might also check the Trading Post here, see what's available used. I just re-homed my AVA Insight+ DAC to another ACer, it's main drawback in today's world was it only had the single coax input. If that's all you're looking for you might find a deal. As others have suggested if you're looking new check those with a generous return policy so you can evaluate in your system. Both SET Man & WGH have valid points, if the current unit sounds good in your system let it run while you take your time and consider the options. Good luck with the hunt.

Early B.

Get Schiit.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
The standard Prometheus are $490 + $80 ship.
Hard to beat the Shitt.
https://www.promitheusaudio.com/dac.htm

I.Greyhound Fan

I have a Modi 3 and it is good for the price but far from audiophile.  It has a warmer sound but not the clearest.  I have a Topping E50 DAC that sounds better.  But it cost more.  I would consider the the Modius or Multibit dac if you can spend a little more.  Look on the used market.  Or consider the Topping listed below.  I own 2 of them.  1 for TV and the other for a bedroom system.  It has more air and transparency and more detail compared to the Modi.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F2BWQV2

stylerb

I like the schiit DACs! But yeah newer isn’t always better. If you could up your budget consider a used Chord too, even the Mojo is crazy good.

whell

As far as DACs go. the evolution of the tech and the sheer number of products on the market delivers a lot more today than you spent on your current DAC all those years ago.  However, my current system includes a DAC I've owned for over 10 years and have no desire to upgrade (Antelope Zodiac DAC).  There are values to be had on the web for gently used DACs that are still excellent performers by today's standards.