Mac 12volt power

mikeeastman

Mac 12volt power
« on: 5 May 2011, 05:15 pm »
I don't know if this is right place to ask this? I have a MacBook Pro as my source, my system is all 12 volt and I would like to charge my Mac using my battery bank, I got a car charger but it is very noisy. Is there any way I can charge the Mac from 12 volts that would be as quiet as the a/c charge?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: Mac 12volt power
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2011, 07:14 pm »
I don't know if this is right place to ask this? I have a MacBook Pro as my source, my system is all 12 volt and I would like to charge my Mac using my battery bank, I got a car charger but it is very noisy. Is there any way I can charge the Mac from 12 volts that would be as quiet as the a/c charge?
I'm wondering why your car charger is noisey unless it has a DC-DC convertor in it.  Can you give us the model number of the charger?  I would assume it is the Mac unit, but I want to make sure.

Thanks,

Dave

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2011, 10:49 pm »
Model #adc v18w 85 048. Output is 18.5 v. with input 12v, so must have d/c to d/c convertor.

Thanks, Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2011, 04:20 am »
Model #adc v18w 85 048. Output is 18.5 v. with input 12v, so must have d/c to d/c convertor.

Thanks, Mike
Well, there you go.  DC to DC converters can be made to be pretty quiet, but it is a lot of work and expensive.  Sorry, Mike.  You could always go to 24V battery systems and regulate them down, but that is a hassle, too.

Dav e