Mini review--Dave's mini pwr cord for 2010 Mac Mini

Audioclyde

OK, so after reading all the review, threads and accolades about the Majik & Uber Buss, I purchased an Uber a few months back.  In addition to absolutely loving what the Uber has done for my system, I learned a couple of other items:  (1) Dave is one of the really good guys in this hobby/addiction we all love; and (2) I came to trust his ears/assessment of products, their sound and differences.

I recently replaced my 2009 Mac Mini with the 2010 Mini, with a ssd, 8g of ram, and the recommended Oyen FireWire drive for my music files.  I was enjoying great sound with a John Keny box modded (battery pwrd) Hiface feeding the EE dac, with my 300B SET integrated driving Daedalus DA-RMa's (augmented with a REL Strata III sub).

So when Dave announced his pwr cord for the 2010 Mac Mini, I jumped at the chance to try one.  As I said, I've come to trust Dave's ears, products & workmanship (Dave's enthusiasm for the Tranquility DAC, plus helpful conversations with Eric Hider, is the main reason I have a Signature Tranquility on the way!).

The cable arrived Monday; fit & finish are great and the cord is pretty flexible.  It was easy to let it play for a couple of days as work kept me from listening to the system.  After around 36-40 hours I gave it a hard listen.  It made my already quiet system even quieter, with better separation and 'ease'.  I'm no reviewer, but my test is always whether something sounds more 'musical'--the pwr cable does that in spades!  I hear more small detail, but still everything is smooth, relaxed and not etched.  The separation of notes, instruments is definitely greater.

At Dave's suggestion, I then flipped the cable over where it connects to the Mini.  Big difference--loads of detail, however I preferred it the way I initially had it--smoother and to me more natural sounding. That being said, I imagine some will like the cable switched to the 'greater detail' orientation.

In summary, Dave has another winner here folks!  If you have a Mac Mini feeding your system, I urge you to give this cable a try.  I have a number of pwr cords (TG Audio HSR and 688, Syn Research, CPC model 12, Black Sand, etc.)--Dave's mini cord made more of an improvement in my system than swapping any of those other cables on various pieces of equipment ever has!!

Thanks Dave!

Randy

dmccombs

Re: Mini review--Dave's mini pwr cord for 2010 Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2010, 05:50 pm »
Randy,

I have one of Dave's MacMini Power cords and I have to agree with you 100%.  There is more detail in the music and things are more dynamic, without being harsh.

I ran the system for a week with Dave's cord in the system, then as a test, I put the stock cord back in.  Man o man, the soundstage shrunk, the system became less dynamic.  It was dull and lifeless, in comparison.

I never thought the power cord on a computer/MacMini would matter, but it had the same impact as upgrading any other Source component power cord.  The improvement is quite noticeable though.

Darrell