The all new CA1 and NP1

r1seals and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 11412 times.

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
Re: The all new CA1 and NP1
« Reply #80 on: 28 May 2024, 03:17 pm »
I wonder how the built in phono preamp compares with their separate one.

I'm wondering too, for different reasons, but suspect it's the same phono stage other than the case of the separate one.  I think it was last year that the Vision Q was updated to become the VisionQ+, and I'd like to know if that same update occurred with those built into the preamps and when that update happened.

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #81 on: 28 May 2024, 05:24 pm »
I'm wondering too, for different reasons, but suspect it's the same phono stage other than the case of the separate one.  I think it was last year that the Vision Q was updated to become the Vision Q+, and I'd like to know if that same update occurred with those built into the preamps and when that update happened.

AVA started shipping the Vision Q+ version phono section in mid February 2023. The Vision+ adjustable phono section in our preamplifiers is the same board that we install in our stand alone Vision Q+ phono preamplifier.

The MM phono section, that comes standard in the CA1, is a new design. It is not related to the Vision Q+ phono section.

Mary

peter4jc

• AVA DM-225's & Vision SLR; Philharmonic Audio HT's
« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2024, 08:36 pm »
Thank you, Mary.

mannishjoy

« Reply #83 on: 29 May 2024, 04:57 pm »
I recently ABd the CA-1. I brought the CA-1 to a friend's house who has a Moonriver 404 Reference driving Zu Dirty Weekend 6s with the max upgrade package. I know this system well, as the DWs used to be mine and I recommended the Moonriver when it came up used locally. The Moonriver is a great AB test, as it is rated at 50 watts into 8 ohms and has a Phono stage (not in use). It basically has the same functionality as the CA1.

In my previous SET 120/Salk system I ABd the 120 and Moonriver. In that system I preferred the Moonriver, but not by much, I thought the presentation has more body. Mind you the Swedish made Moonriver with Phono post inflation retails for $6,600...it is Class A Stereophile rated and reviews are univeralsally over-the-top positive. It's considered "A giant killer" at 6600 bucks.

When ABing, my approach is if you have to make microscopic assessments to discern differences, then the differences are pointless. If a machine is superior it should be immediately evident.

The CA-1s superiority was immediately evident over the 4+xs more expensive Moonriver. The Clarity/definition improvement across the audio spectrum was what immediately stood out...the clarity of the CA-1 is unheard of anywhere near its price. This clarity led to superior bass definition as well as fuller and more separated imaging in the soundstage...and these are not areas the Moonriver is weak in. The Moonriver is an excellent amp! But the CA-1 simply gives a performance that's near perfection. My friend immediately recognized this and is seriously considering moving into the CA-1.... It's the most logical thing for her to do, obviously, if sound quality/value ratio has any meaning.

The Moonriver design is overbuilt with capacitance. It must have more capacitors than any other 50 watt amp I know of at least. This gives it great dynamic performance, but the capacitance demure CA-1 did not fall behind here, either.

The general wisdom, which I agree with, is that when you designing a system you start with the speakers and the room. I think the CA-1 is so good that it flips this reasoning...start with a CA-1 and then figure the rest out!

Opus Flatus

« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2024, 05:27 pm »
Mannishjoy,

Thanks for the detailed assessment/AB of the new CA1. I have an NP1 on order and can't wait to listen.

floresjc

« Reply #85 on: 30 May 2024, 08:55 pm »
Well the buzz is too good. Just placed an order for the NP1 before the line gets too big.

s.a.l.

« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2024, 09:11 pm »
Yup. Me too. I loved the SET 120 so much, I went in blind on the NP1. Can't wait.

mannishjoy

« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2024, 10:38 pm »
I look forward to other impressions! I just discovered an incredible demo track...Sketches of Spain, but not the Miles Davis you surely know, but by Buckethead on his album Electric Tears...crank it on whatever Alstine you own!

cd45123

« Reply #88 on: 31 May 2024, 11:15 am »
Received the CA1 in early May. This is a special amp, something I am appreciating more than my previous integrated from Naim, Rega, LFD. There’s more information getting through, which is really surprising.

I found with the SET 120, there was more of a top down type presentation, while most of the British amps I love usually present the music more bottom up. The CA1 is different in that it’s an extremely balanced presentation. I need more time to evaluate soundstage depth, width, etc as I’ve made a couple other changes to my system, but you could definitely build a system around this piece.

mannishjoy

« Reply #89 on: 31 May 2024, 04:13 pm »
A note about break-in. When I first got the CA1, It was so damn good out of the box, I just forgot to even consider a break in situation with this amp. Usually when I get a piece I leave it running all day and what not, but I haven't done that here, and it's probably been used about 4 hours a day since mid-May. My last few critical sessions just seem to be better and better, And I must be approaching about 70+ plus hours on the CA-1. As I stated before, My current source is a $20 Bluetooth receiver... But my system is sounding better than ever, and I'm no stranger to high-end sources. Going from Bluetooth to a Laiv Harmony DAC fed by a thoroughly moded Auralic Aries is going to be insane. There is magic in this new Van Alstine circuitry. I'm curious if a patent is in order.

RonN5

« Reply #90 on: 31 May 2024, 04:36 pm »
mannishjoy

You almost never see any posts about the Zu DW6...what can you say about those speakers....and what kind of rooms have you heard them in?

nigelnaim

« Reply #91 on: 31 May 2024, 05:04 pm »
Received the CA1 in early May. This is a special amp, something I am appreciating more than my previous integrated from Naim, Rega, LFD. There’s more information getting through, which is really surprising.

I found with the SET 120, there was more of a top down type presentation, while most of the British amps I love usually present the music more bottom up. The CA1 is different in that it’s an extremely balanced presentation. I need more time to evaluate soundstage depth, width, etc as I’ve made a couple other changes to my system, but you could definitely build a system around this piece.

Which Naim integrated amp did you compare this to?

Thanks

cd45123

« Reply #92 on: 31 May 2024, 10:00 pm »
Naim Nait XS3