Prices, Parts Changes, and Future Stuff......

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:05 am »
Hello!

Had a few changes to report. First the bad news.... I have had to raise pricing on the NOH a bit. The US$ drop combined with strong currencies in the countries I buy some of my more expensive parts in (the UK and Japan) has eaten into margins the last year (actually pretty much cut them in half).  I have bumped the NOH pricing about 10% (or a bit less on the more expensive versions) but made another change that helps out a bit for the average order.

This other change is that I now use Vampire CM2F-CB connectors as standard on all builds. Most customers were ordering with the expensive WBT's and the new Vamps are less money so it tends to lower the total price of a typical order a bit even though the base price looks higher. The new Vamps are considdered at least as good as the WBT's - many feel they are better and more in keeping with the new trend to avoid bulky metal in the signal path.

For anyone who has e-mailed in the past about a NOH or MU I will keep old pricing and I will do what I can on pricing for the next few weeks - I don't want anyone who was close to contacting me to get stuck with a surprise increase. MU pricing bumped just a bit and for now parts prices have stayed the same. I did have to bump LO410 line outputs. I was working of an old buy from S&B at a lower price but the latest stock I brought in was costing more than my sell price..... I had to bump those from $45 to $65.00.

Now some news about other changes comming up soon. First I will be changing from the Seiden switch to the Shallco. The Shallco is the only other switch I have considdered to be the equal of te Seiden  but Shallco's have had a really evil detent that makes them feel a bit indutrial by comparison. I have been happy with the Seiden and customers have too but latest pricing (currencies again...) would put my landed cost for those at the current sell price - maybe a bit higher. This would mean a likely sell price approaching $200. The Shallco will likely land at about $100 sell price. The US made Shallco is every bit as good a switch and I am working with the detent spring to make the detent feel nicer than the stock shallco. Also part of this change  the remote motor will fasten direct to the back of the switch like the DACT remote mod making that an easier install. Depending on final pricing I may be able to lower the kit and pre-built prices a bit when this change happens - likely on units ordered from now on. I will have this pricing sorted out very soon.

Further out I will also have remote control source select comming. The proto boards are done and tested so I would say that I can take orders now for that if anyone is into it and it will become the standard setup in about a month or so. I will be able to still do manual source selects (likely Shallco's or the curent Seiden model we use for source select) but the price for remote select will be the same or a bit less so....

I think that's it for now! I always feel bad about raising prices and will try and keep them as low as I can - adjusting best I can is costs go down or currencies change.

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 05:02 am »
John,

Don't feel bad.  It is the way it is or you'll go out of business.  Let me be the first one to say that your products are a bargain even twice the price.  I won't change my NOH (with the new and improved trannies) to any preamp I am aware of costing  up to 3x its price.  Then again, its just me.  May your business grew even more.  Your personal service is beyond reproach.  What's going on with the NYL?

John Revilla

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2004, 01:23 pm »
Hello!

Well - it's easy for you to understand since you got yours at the old price! Just kidding and thanks for the supportive comments. I fully intend on staying in bussiness and I want to keep enough margins so I can give good service to folks.

The NYL has finally begun testing by local audionuts. I sent it away with a fellow earkly this week and will get it in the hands of some local guys in a couple of weeks from now. From this I'll get some feedback about how they think it does. The latest tank runs at 80Khz and I believe it to be safe - especially since many folks have been using 40Khz machines for years now. I will need to do some more testing to make sure it is safe and that it is a worthwhile investment. Unfortunately there is a bit of a delay. I gather from an Audiogon thread (I think you pointed me to it if I recall) there was an ultrasonic record cleaner from Japan availiable now. I need to check that out because unless I have something different to offer it may be those units will do the trick for folks.

Thansk!

John

Gbatokai

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2004, 03:01 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
Hello!

Well - it's easy for you to understand since you got yours at the old price!

Exactly. :)

I'm saving up for the NOH kit - how long do I have until you replace the Seiden with the Shallco?

If I don't make it in time, there'll be another length of shaft/chassis mounting inquiry for you, John, and we can't have that, can we?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2004, 03:39 pm »
Hello!

I'll have a handle on that next week. I don't take downpayments and so as I work my way through my order list I have a few that dissapear. This o.k. and is one reason I don't do the downpayment thing - I don't want folks ordering on a whim then feeling they have to follow through even though it maybe is not what they want once build/ship time comes. This system makes it a bit hard to tell exactly how many Seiden switches will be consumed in the next while.  They are actually quite similar in size so that has made the change easy. The remote will install cleaner as well so that is a nice side benifit.

Just to get the dim out there:

The switch is 1-3/4" square. The shaft is 1/4" diameter (no comment). It extends 0.9" from the inside chassis.......

I should make it clear I have nothing against the Seidens at all! It is just that with the way currencies have swung they have become even more expensive and with the Shallco's being really decent as well (and quite similar in design) it is hard to justify paying double the price for them. If enough folks are O.K> with the $200 new price I will make a fresh buy of Seidens but I have to buy 50 switches to get the price down to even that level so it is a big purchase!

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Gbatokai

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2004, 03:57 pm »
Thanks. I just sent you an e-mail with my order for a NOH kit minus the infamous chassis. :)

dougdeacon

Glad to see progress on the NOH
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2004, 10:38 pm »
I mentioned the A'gon thread to you on another thread here too. 80KHz seems like a better idea than 40KHz, judging by the comments of a few experienced U/S users there.

From what little I could find about the new Japanese cleaners, it looked like they might do only one record at a time, fully submersed with a GroovMaster-like label protector. I'd say your 7 at a clip feature would be a plus.

Keeps us posted. Cheers!