Ebag4's V-1 Build

sl_1800

Re: Ebag4's V-1 Build
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2010, 11:50 am »
drphoto

I'm not so sure about poly on the cardboard but perhaps you could do a faux wood grain look with paint???

All joking aside, ebag4 I'm jealous, those speakers are looking fantastic.

ebag4

« Reply #81 on: 18 May 2010, 12:04 pm »
I can't believe you haven't put in the drivers and hooked 'em up yet. The glue had barely dried on the first H-frame I made before I mounted up the drivers to take it for a spin. And I'm such a slob, my plate amp sits in the the shipping box w/ the lid cut off. Maybe I could make that cardboard a lot classier w/ a couple of coats of poly.  :wink:
Believe me Joe,I have been tempted :icon_twisted:, but if I do I know I will never get them finished!  As for the cardboard, been there done that.  How do you think I know I will never finish them if I hook them up  :lol:?

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #82 on: 18 May 2010, 12:08 pm »
drphoto

I'm not so sure about poly on the cardboard but perhaps you could do a faux wood grain look with paint???

All joking aside, ebag4 I'm jealous, those speakers are looking fantastic.
Thanks Steve.  I hope they turn out as nice as I have imagined.  I learned a couple of things by finishing the amp boxes first so hopefully the speakers will avoid some of the pitfalls I experienced there.

Best,
Ed

tasar

« Reply #83 on: 18 May 2010, 01:06 pm »
Ed.....how many of those neodymiums did you use to hold what I expect was 1/2 mdf grill frames. Where did you locate them ??

ebag4

« Reply #84 on: 18 May 2010, 01:16 pm »
Hi Tasar,
I used 6 (two at the top corners before the arc, two in the middle sides at the division of the driver compartments, and two at the lower corners).  If I were to do it again I think I would add a couple more, maybe one or two at the top.  I doesn't appear that it will fall off but the weight of the frame isn't too far from exceeding the sheer limit of the 6 I used.  It will probably help to iron flat the gathered material in the corners to allow the magnets to get a bit closer.

This is my first grill attempt, one thing I noted was that I should have been more careful with the polarity of the magnets.  I didn't really think about it when I was putting the magnets under the veneer but noted that I had one reversed from the others when I was setting up the grills, had I not caught that I would have had one magnet repelling while the others are trying to hold the grill on.  I was glad I caught it! :thumb:

BTW, yes the frames are 1/2".

Best,
Ed

TomS

« Reply #85 on: 18 May 2010, 01:23 pm »
Did you just route out a single piece of 1/2" MDF or splice pieces together? 

I used some stiff bamboo strips I had leftover and attached some gussets to add strength for the middle brace.  It seemed to work ok but took forever to make 2 of them.

BTW, I managed to polarize my left grille magnets opposite from my right one so now I have polar grilles  :oops:  At least they stay on.

ebag4

« Reply #86 on: 18 May 2010, 01:40 pm »
Did you just route out a single piece of 1/2" MDF or splice pieces together? 

I used some stiff bamboo strips I had leftover and attached some gussets to add strength for the middle brace.  It seemed to work ok but took forever to make 2 of them.

BTW, I managed to polarize my left grille magnets opposite from my right one so now I have polar grilles  :oops:  At least they stay on.
Hi Tom,
I cut each grill out of a piece of 1/2" mdf.  I thought about building them out of strips but ultimately decideed that it would be more trouble than it is worth.  This method worked out well.

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only person who didn't consider polarity early on  :wink:.

Best,
Ed

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #87 on: 18 May 2010, 02:40 pm »
Lookin' great Ed!

Bob

p.s. So, both you and Tom built bi-polar speakers?  :lol:

ebag4

« Reply #88 on: 18 May 2010, 05:20 pm »
Lookin' great Ed!

Bob

p.s. So, both you and Tom built bi-polar speakers?  :lol:
Haha Bob, the jokes on you, that's di-polar! :lol:  BTW, thanks  :wink:.

Danny or any one else running the V-1/SuperV.  Are you running a hi-pass F-Mod into your coax's amp?  If so, what value do you recommend?

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: 18 May 2010, 05:22 pm »
Ed-

You're killin' me with this thread...everytime it jumps to the top I keep hoping it's the one that will show us that they're done.   :duh:

I'm sooo ready for that day!   :D

ebag4

« Reply #90 on: 18 May 2010, 05:38 pm »
Ed-

You're killin' me with this thread...everytime it jumps to the top I keep hoping it's the one that will show us that they're done.   :duh:

Whoops!  There it went again. :lol:

Believe me Jason, no one wants these to be completed more than I do.  I have been living with 200hz and up (only) for a couple of months now.  I have to get some bass back into my life.  I will say the coax's with Gary's buffer and the ClassD are sounding mighty fine albeit somewhat anemic.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #91 on: 18 May 2010, 05:52 pm »
You can use an F-Mod or if using Gary's buffer, you can add a small cap value to the coupling cap position (like a .047uF) on one of the outputs instead of the 3.3uF with by-pass cap that currently both outputs share.

ebag4

« Reply #92 on: 18 May 2010, 06:05 pm »
You can use an F-Mod or if using Gary's buffer, you can add a small cap value to the coupling cap position (like a .047uF) on one of the outputs instead of the 3.3uF with by-pass cap that currently both outputs share.
Thanks Danny.  I don't think I will be changing the buffer, I don't want to lose all of that Platinum bypass goodness!

Best,
Ed

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #93 on: 18 May 2010, 06:11 pm »
The Sonicap Platinum's come in a 0.047uF/400VDC value according to the website. 

ebag4

« Reply #94 on: 18 May 2010, 06:25 pm »
The Sonicap Platinum's come in a 0.047uF/400VDC value according to the website.
Great point Hal! :thumb:

Looks like a very simple modification, I would only need to cut the path to the #2 output for each channel and add the additional cap.  That would probably sound much better than the F-Mod as well!

Question, what does the .047uF cap cause the unit to filter, what frequencies would be attenuated, 70Hz, 80Hz and down?

Are there any negatives with this mod, e.g. impact to the mids?

Thanks!
Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #95 on: 19 May 2010, 12:04 am »
Get off the computer and leave the buffer alone and finish the darn Super V's. 

speak soon!!!

« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 01:42 pm by jtwrace »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #96 on: 20 May 2010, 01:42 pm »
Get off the computer and leave the buffer alone and finish the darn Super V's. 

speak soon!!!

I love when people listen to me.   :lol: kinda

ebag4

« Reply #97 on: 20 May 2010, 02:00 pm »
I love when people listen to me.   :lol: kinda
Haha, not quite, here I am! :lol:

I work in my garage so I am somewhat at the mercy of the weather.  I was able to get the first coat of poly applied last night.  My concern is with the wet weather (coming) if I don't get the veneer sealed it will try to wrinkle.  I hope to get a second coat before the weather sets in. 

I went with gloss for the speakers, I wasn't overjoyed with the finish on the amp boxes.  I read that the satin gets it's satin look by adding more solids that can cloud the finish with mulitple coats.  If you use gloss you maintain clarity and get the additional protection gloss adds.  If you want satin use multiple coats of gloss and make the last coat satin.  That is the direction I am heading right now unless I decide to keep the speakers gloss.  The gloss is looking good even after one coat.

Best,
Ed

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: 20 May 2010, 02:03 pm »
Haha, not quite, here I am! :lol:

Best,
Ed

:rules:

ebag4

« Reply #99 on: 20 May 2010, 06:22 pm »
Ed-

Stay calm Jason  :wink:, still not complete but they are moving in the right direction.

Here are a few pics of the speakers with 2 coats of gloss poly (still tacky in this pic).

Best,
Ed