X-Omni Phase Question

clar2391

X-Omni Phase Question
« on: 3 Aug 2010, 11:58 pm »
I bought a pair of X Omni speakers from AV123 back when they were on sale for a great price and I've been enjoying them since. I just bought a new Denon receiver with Audessey MultiEQ built in. When I run the room equalization measurements, it tells me that the front right speaker is out of phase. I've double checked the speaker cables and it's wire correctly, and it doesn't sound out of phase to me.  I've even wired it out of phase intentionally (which does make it sound funny), and the Audessey measurement still says it's out of phase. Could it be that only the tweeter is wired out of phase?  Perhaps that would explain the Audessey reading?  How difficult would it be for me to check and possibly change the wiring phase on the tweeter only?  Any other suggests for me to try?

Danny Richie

Re: X-Omni Phase Question
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:37 am »
I don't know anything about that thing or why you are getting those readings.

However, the tweeter does have a reverse polarity from the woofer on that model.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2010, 03:27 am »
I am sure its something to do with it being omni directional, but just to be sure... try swapping speakers with eachother, but keep same placement locations, and see if it still shows only the speaker on the right (the old left speaker) out of phase.

My guess is that its something to do with the algorithm the audyssey is using with the chirp that is probably calculating the out of phase because of a reflection. 

-Tony

brother love

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2010, 09:47 am »
I agree w/ Traderxfan.  I have an avr w/ Audyssey & have encountered "out of phase" readings w/ my dipole surrounds & even std. speaker surround back. My wiring is correct also.

Try multiple tests, cause for me it sometimes indicated out of phase & other times didn't (IOW quirky). You might also want to check the avsforum HT avr Audyssey thread.

William Schuchard

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2010, 09:55 pm »
I have seen this too. A friend of mine was setting up his Denon and since the room was not optimal, some of the reflections would make it think one of the speakers was out of phase when it clearly was not. I'm pretty sure we toed it in and it ran fine after that. We made some final tweaks of levels using a spectrum analyzer and a DVD with test tone tracks on it.
The faulty out of phase error was annoying but the Denon seems to work OK for him once it was set up. It doesn't compare to a decent affordable two channel system for two channel music but it is forgiving and listenable and he's happy.

Bill