Super V Sound

face

Re: Super V Sound
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2009, 05:43 pm »
For reference, what is the actual efficiency rating of the Orion's?
And at what rating do you consider a speaker system to become "inefficient?"
Judging by the midrange used and baffle step required, probably mid to low 80's.

EDIT: didn't see Danny's response above.  Using a receiver to power those is a real injustice. 

Davey

« Reply #21 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:02 pm »
Danny,

It seems like I received a similar answer previously.  :)  It's not as straightforward to analyze correctly since it's not a conventional system with a single amplifier.

Anyways, you didn't answer my main question.  Let's forget about the Orion for a second.  At what SPL rating does a speaker become "inefficient," in your opinion?  80db/1w/1meter?  85db/1w/1meter?  90db/1w/1meter?
Obviously "inefficient" is a subjective label.

I realize it's uncouth to question a manufacturer in a Manufacturer Circle on Audiocircle, so thank you.

Cheers,

Dave.

face

« Reply #22 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:07 pm »
At what SPL rating does a speaker become "inefficient," in your opinion?  80db/1w/1meter?  85db/1w/1meter?  90db/1w/1meter?
Obviously "inefficient" is a subjective label.
Would you consider 80db or 85db efficient for a full range tower? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 2 Dec 2009, 06:53 pm »
Looking at speakers in general and average sensitivities, I think it is safe to say that anything in the 85db range or less is NOT efficient or could be called low sensitivity.

The norm would be 85db to a 90db range. That is about middle of the road.

Above 90db or between 90db and 95db is on the high side.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #24 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:34 pm »
Man, I can't begin to tell you just how good those new amps really sound. They are UNBELIEVABLE!

And they drive the Super-V's to serious levels.

The problem with the Orion's is that they are very inefficient and need a lot more power.

So Danny, do you have any specs for the Super V? Not sure if it's aready been mentioned but what are the recommended wattage range, frequency range, and effeciency of the Super V. Some might think (myself included) because of the size of these drivers, it would take lots of power to motivate them. Thanks.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »
I posted measured responses here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72093.msg689698#msg689698

It doesn't take much power to motivate these speakers. This little 15 watt, battery powered, tube amp will make them scream.

Bear

« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:25 pm »
does anyone have or know of a link/pdf for the super v build instructions/schematics for crossovers and all so i can disillusion myself into thinking I can build a pair of these(order a kit)? :weights:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:36 pm »
does anyone have or know of a link/pdf for the super v build instructions/schematics for crossovers and all so i can disillusion myself into thinking I can build a pair of these? :weights:

What's the matter, can't you design your own crossovers? Why should Danny give you the schematics for free? Danny put time into the design of these speakers and he doesn't work without compensation.

-Roy

Bear

« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
not what I meant.....I would be ordering a kit.   sentence structure is everything!  I am in no way competant enough to build anything without a kit.  perhaps I should avoid an attempt all together.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:40 pm »
Box plans are right here: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

There are also several companies already offering flat packs too.

When Denny cut these out he also cut the wood for a couple more pairs so he has them ready to ship.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73341.0

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
Looking at speakers in general and average sensitivities, I think it is safe to say that anything in the 85db range or less is NOT efficient or could be called low sensitivity.

The norm would be 85db to a 90db range. That is about middle of the road.

Above 90db or between 90db and 95db is on the high side.

Danny-

Maybe Gary will chime in here but do you think that his battery powered amp will power speakers that are 89dB @ 1M/1W with minimum impedance at 4.7 @ 70Hz?

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:53 pm »
Oh yeah, it will power them just fine. It just depends on how loud you want to play them. How big your room is and how far away you are from the speakers will make a big difference too.

Bear

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2009, 08:56 pm »
are the crossovers already assembled with the kit? perhaps my concerns are unwarranted.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:02 pm »
I posted measured responses here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72093.msg689698#msg689698

It doesn't take much power to motivate these speakers. This little 15 watt, battery powered, tube amp will make them scream.

I don't do charts well Danny, straight out numbers register better in my head. :dunno:  So the Super V must have an effeciency of well over 90db if those little gems can make them scream uncle. That fact alone should make the Super V a very popular option for sure, even for the single driver enthusiest maybe? Hopefully one of the NY RAVE guys will cop a pair so I'll have a chance to hear them one of these days. Something tells me I'd be in for a treat.  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:08 pm »
not what I meant.....I would be ordering a kit.   sentence structure is everything!  I am in no way competant enough to build anything without a kit.  perhaps I should avoid an attempt all together.

You're not alone Bear, I wouldn't know what a crossover looked like it it hit me over the head and cried out Mary.  :lol:  The smarter folks need to chill.

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:09 pm »
The crossovers do not come assembled. They are not hard to assemble though. I might consider assembling them if you twisted my arm really hard. It is not that I don't want to as much as it is that I just don't have time. So it might take several weeks for me to get to it. A better option might be to send them to the Skiing Ninja for assembly. 

Robin, the Super-V's have a sensitivity of 97db. And unlike just about any other speaker on the market, they actually will play flat to 20Hz and hit -3db number in the teens.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #36 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:31 pm »

You're not alone Bear, I wouldn't know what a crossover looked like it it hit me over the head and cried out Mary.  :lol:  The smarter folks need to chill.

Cheers,
Robin
Actually I'm not so smart. :duh:
I suppose I overreacted in my comment :oops:. I just thought that sometimes posters want the designer to release the details of the design so they can just buy the parts and build their own thereby bypassing the design process. They're some out there who poach designs. I suppose reverse engineering is OK but I wouldn't expect the original designer to help you.

-Roy

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:37 pm »

Cheers,
Robin
Actually I'm not so smart. :duh:
I suppose I overreacted in my comment :oops: . I just thought that sometimes posters want the designer to release the details of the design so they can just buy the parts and build their own thereby bypassing the design process. They're some out there who poach designs. I suppose reverse engineering is OK but I wouldn't expect the original designer to help you.

-Roy

Well asking if the crossover was included as part of the Super V kit was a question that I would have asked myself.  :lol:  I would never attempt to build anything electronical myself and woodworking is pretty much never gonna happen either so I can feel for anyone who would consider taking on this endevour with the same lack of knowledge as myself.  :oops:  Guess that's all I was saying but boy would I love to hear them sing.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Voiceray

« Reply #38 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:51 pm »
Danny

I have never heard a Dynamic Open Baffle Dipole System apart from the Dahlquist DQ10, which I believe was actually a free air system.  I sense the Super V would sound like a live band.  Could you compare the Super V with drivers that I have heard and liked.  Here they are: Electrostatics, Ribbon, Planar, Heil, and the ATC midrange driver.  I understand that I am talking about drivers, but each one is unique within it's system.  The ATC was in a monopole design, which I really liked.   

Ray

Bear

« Reply #39 on: 2 Dec 2009, 09:54 pm »
yeah, definately not going to be any reverse engineering going on here. :lol:  I understand Roy's interpretation of my ill structured question.  as I said earlier sentence structure can be everything.  I actually have a very funny joke concerning sentence structure (IMO).  any interested may visit the link at your own risk as some may consider it to be offensive(if it is, it is only mildly so).

sentence structure is everything:

http://www.ajokes.com/jokes/2670.html

happy listening
shane