New line of DACs. Info posted!

Danny Richie

« Reply #100 on: 3 Feb 2006, 08:41 pm »
what are the modifications that are performed by sonic craft??

Power supply caps and several others are replaced with Black Gates. The output coupling caps are upgraded to Sonicaps with a Sonicap Platinum by-pass cap.

It is quite an improvement.

d.f

home theatre
« Reply #101 on: 4 Feb 2006, 07:21 pm »
can the DAC-60 also be used for DVD / Home Theatre set up...? for some reason i thought that this was a different frequence range (khz)...

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 4 Feb 2006, 08:51 pm »
can the DAC-60 also be used for DVD / Home Theatre set up...? for some reason i thought that this was a different frequence range (khz)...

There is nothing different about the frequency range. These are only two channel DAC's.

machine

DAC-60
« Reply #103 on: 9 Feb 2006, 02:47 pm »
Finally got my DAC-60 with Sonicraft mods.

My take on this so far...

Build Quality
Build like a tank.  No jumper wires, etc.  Heavy duty.

Mod Quality
Couldn't even tell unit was modified, all work clean and professional.  Thats one big BlackGate capacitor, even too big to fit on the board so it was mounted next to it!

Sound Quality
System setup: Computer FLAC(Foobar2000)->(Coax)Perpetual P-1a with SOCS->(Coax)DAC-60->Onix A-120 w/ModWright mods->Onix Ref 3.

This was compared against my Perpetual P-3a w/ModWright Level II mods hooked up to the P-1a via I2S.  Unsing the A-120 I could switch between them.

Seemed to take a little while for the DAC-60 to warm up before it would output (30 seconds?).

From my unscientific testing it seems that the DAC-60 had slightly better detail and blackness.

There was a slight volume difference, and the wife was too pissed about me getting more stereo stuff to help me try to at least do it blind (have her set it up and switch it without me knowing what I was listening to).

Hopefully, getting her something nice for Valentines day will persuade her to help me out.

It's hard to make judgements when you know which one is which.  Always want the "new" one to be better.  My lack of experience in these matters dosen't help either.

Right now I prefer the DAC-60.  I'm going to break it in some more and see what happens.  Also, when I have time I will take the P-1a(SOCS and interpolation) out of the loop and just compare the two dacs.

Anyone from the Chicagoland area interested in hearing it let me know.

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 9 Feb 2006, 04:52 pm »
For all of you guys that are just getting these and want to share your insights and feedback, please start a new thread for it. This one has gotten pretty large already.

Thanks for posting your initial thoughts machine.

jackman

« Reply #105 on: 9 Feb 2006, 05:00 pm »
Hey Machine,

Please shoot me a PM, I'm in the Chicago area and would love to hear the DAC if you have a chance.  You could even come over here and listen to it on my system if you wish.  It's always good to meet other stereo-geeks in the area.  I'm a big fan of Danny's work and trust his judgment on good sound.  I suspect these DAC's are very nice.

Thanks!

Jack

Jon L

« Reply #106 on: 9 Feb 2006, 07:16 pm »
Congrats, Machine, and enjoy the new purchase.

You said:
"System setup: Computer FLAC(Foobar2000)->(Coax)Perpetual P-1a with SOCS->(Coax)DAC-60->Onix A-120 w/ModWright mods->Onix Ref 3."

Could you clarity the FLAC(Foobar2000)->COAX part?  How are you getting the Coax digital out of the computer?

machine

Coax Out
« Reply #107 on: 9 Feb 2006, 10:14 pm »
From the rear 1/8" digital output jack on my X-Fi soundcard to a 1/8" to RCA "Y" adapter.  From there using Left channel into Coax (RCA) input of P-1A.

This definitly is a weak point in the system, as these cables are low end junk and total about 12' - 15' long!

I'm going to be looking for a higher quality solution for this link.  Any sugesstions?

smk5r

« Reply #108 on: 10 Feb 2006, 01:59 am »
Machine, thanks for the early impressions.  My modded DAC60 should be arriving shortly.  It will replace a stock P3a.

My current system consists of the following chain:

desktop-->linksys wireless-->SlimDevices SB3-->P1a-->P3a (SOCS for Ref3s)--> WooAudio2 Preamp-->Emotiva MPS-1-->Ref3s+UWF12

The SB3 solution sounds a tad better than the Onix CD-2 I have. Highly recommended as a solution, especially if you have gobs of lossless music.

machine

SB3
« Reply #109 on: 10 Feb 2006, 02:36 am »
I picked up 2 of the SB3 units when they were on sale.  I then abandoned iTunes and started to rip my stuff using EAC.  In one pass I output MP3 and FLAC files.

I liked the SB3 better than the Onix XCD-88, so I got rif of it.

I picked up a used SB1.  I'm less then impressed with this as it seems to always skip when I stream FLAC files to it.  There is a small internal buffer and no native FLAC decoding in this device.  Seems to be ok with MP3s and seing how I got this for less then critical listining I just senf it MP3s.

[edit] SB2 should have been SB1

kenk

Re: SB3
« Reply #110 on: 10 Feb 2006, 05:41 pm »
Quote from: machine
I picked up a used SB2.  I'm less then impressed with this as it seems to always skip when I stream FLAC files to it.  There is a small internal buffer and no native FLAC decoding in this device.  Seems to be ok with MP3s and seing how I got this for less then critical listining I just senf it MP3s.

?? According to slim device, both SB2 and SB3 are the same.  SB3 just have a bigger screen with internal antenna.  Maybe the used sb2 was defective.

machine

SB2 s/b SB1
« Reply #111 on: 10 Feb 2006, 07:32 pm »
Sorry,

Should have been SB1 that has problems with FLAC.

My bad...