New 3-way design sneak peek.

mnapuran

« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:23 am »
Any updates on these? :)

RAW

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2005, 01:41 pm »
Yes we are getting them finished for Danny.

They are finished in a    -------       finish.

You all will have to wait.

Al :mrgreen:

mnapuran

« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2005, 02:37 pm »
I'm more curious about kit availability, and any curves etc.

Danny Richie

« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2005, 03:00 pm »
Kits are already available. All parts are in stock. Price is $795. for the pair.

I haven't put anything on the web site yet because I am waiting for finished pics to put with it.

Response curves look just as smooth as every other speaker we produce. If I get a chance I'll post the measurements here.

samplesj

How do they like tubes?
« Reply #44 on: 16 Apr 2005, 03:44 pm »
Did you happen to test these out with any tubes?  I noticed earlier that they were tested at Dodd Audio so I'm guessing it was tube there.  I'm curious how the 12" did with tubes.

Any opinions on these with the Dodd 120 (too much power, too little power, good for highs but something else for lows, stuff like that)?

I was going to hold out for a linearray in my listening room, but I won't have the time/money for them until next year, but I could add these soon and then just move them to another system if I decided to go the array route later.

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 16 Apr 2005, 04:33 pm »
Did you happen to test these out with any tubes?

I believe these have now been played on three different tube amps and two different solid state amps.

They were tried in several different rooms too. I think they worked best in small to medium sized rooms.

noticed earlier that they were tested at Dodd Audio so I'm guessing it was tube there. I'm curious how the 12" did with tubes.

Yea, I like taking new designs down to Dallas and let the Dodd Audio gang give them the once over. If there is anything lacking, that group of guys will find it quick.

Gary's tube amps handled the 12's with no problems. In fact at Gary's house the 12's seamed really tight and well controlled. They extended really low but were not boomy. They were really smooth and I was very pleased with them.

Any opinions on these with the Dodd 120 (too much power, too little power, good for highs but something else for lows, stuff like that)?

Those amps are about as good as they come and a great match with these speakers. Those amps are a standout among tube amps. They have really extended highs and resolution in the highs where most tube amps get a little soft. Then the bottom end on them is about like a big solid state amp. Then there is the midrange. It is lush and seductive. It draws you into the music and makes an emotional connection. Those are pretty much a no compromise amp. Right now Gary is running a killer deal on them too. Those who are interested better jump fast.

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 16 Apr 2005, 04:39 pm »

I believe these have now been played on three different tube amps and two different solid state amps.

They were tried in several different rooms too. I think they worked best in small to medium sized rooms.

noticed earlier that they were tested at Dodd Audio so I'm guessing it was tube there. I'm curious how the 12" did with tubes.

Yea, I like taking new designs down to Dallas and let the Dodd Audio gang give them the once over. If there is anything lacking, that group of guys will find it quick.

Gary's tube amps handled the 12's with no problems. In fact at Gary's house the 12's seamed really tight and well controlled. They extended really low but were not boomy. They were really smooth and I was very pleased with them.

Those amps are about as good as they come and a great match with these speakers. Those amps are a standout among tube amps. They have really extended highs and resolution in the highs where most tube amps get a little soft. Then the bottom end on them is about like a big solid state amp. Then there is the midrange. It is lush and seductive. It draws you into the music and makes an emotional connection. Those are pretty much a no compromise amp. Right now Gary is running a killer deal on them too. Those who are interested better jump fast.

Danny Richie

« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2005, 04:40 pm »

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #48 on: 1 May 2005, 07:01 pm »
Hey, very interesting design.  I've never been a fan of PR subs, but maybe Danny has overcome design challenges.  I can see a combination of veneers, as well as black main cabinets with veneered side panels.
Hmmm...I might like to build a pair of cabs and offer veneer ideas if any buyer doesn't want to build their own cabs.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #49 on: 1 May 2005, 09:04 pm »
Got an estimate on an unfinished cabinet?  Student on a cheap budget...I'd just spray it black...Oops, didn't realize this was the 3 way thread...saw the comment on the subs and posted as a reflex.  Still interested in the sub cabinet though :P

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #50 on: 2 May 2005, 02:27 am »
Without seeing the plans, I'd say a couple hundred per cabinet, BUT my strong advice is to have them built locally.  The freight on those (too big to go UPS or Fed Ex) would be huge.   Best to buy unfinished cabinets locally.  MDF is cheap, shipping cost for large, heavy, well-packed cabinets is NOT cheap.

mnapuran

« Reply #51 on: 4 May 2005, 06:02 pm »
Danny: Do you have the design document available for download or review?

Danny Richie

Design drawings
« Reply #52 on: 5 May 2005, 09:29 pm »
Hello Mike,

I haven't made a cut list yet, but the plans are all drawn out.

Have a look.

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/av4box.pdf

mnapuran

« Reply #53 on: 5 May 2005, 09:54 pm »
Thanks... hrmm, I think I'm missing something in my mind from that... perhaps the cut list will help in understanding the bracing, and how the top and bottom work together.

tjt123

Getting Close to having finished Pictured?
« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2005, 02:06 pm »
How is the finished set of these coming...will there be pictures soon?

I'm going to be starting on a set of speakers for my Home Theater this summer and right now these are on my short list.  However right now WAF is pretty low with the current picture.   :nono:  I'm hoping that with a finished set she will see the light.   8)  

I'm planning on a pair of the 3 ways with an A/V-3S center and 2 pairs of A/V-1RS.  I'll be adding an infinite baffle sub for the low stuff.  

Have you played around with sub integration with the 3 ways?  Where would you cross them to the Sub for Home Theater?

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2005, 05:06 pm »
How is the finished set of these coming...will there be pictures soon?

Just waiting for Al to get them finished up.....

I think he has them all done and waiting for some painted pieces.

Have you played around with sub integration with the 3 ways? Where would you cross them to the Sub for Home Theater?

Yep. I didn't need one for most music.

For some heavy rock or movies just set the sub to its lowest setting and get the phase dialed in. All my sub-amps have adjustable phase, so getting them dialed in is pretty easy.

Then just set the gain to a good balance.

No problem.

RAW

« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2005, 11:05 pm »
Yup just waiting for the final coats on the sides and they will be finished.
Hope to have them done for  Wed this week.
Then I will have them ready to drop in the drivers and give them a listen before I send them off to Danny.

Al :mrgreen:

RAW

« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2005, 11:06 pm »

Well once I get them assembled I will see about taking a better picture for you all but this will hold you for a few.

Al

ekovalsky

« Reply #58 on: 30 May 2005, 11:14 pm »
Reminds me a bit of the Audes Orpheus

And that is not a bad thig.  In my wife's opinion it is among the most attractive speaker made.

merc

« Reply #59 on: 30 May 2005, 11:45 pm »
Well, I tried to read most of these 6 pages, but didn't see anywhere in Houston where I can hear them?
I noticed they might(?) go to Dallas and I'd be willing to drive up there to hear them... LMK, please.

I've enjoyed speaks like these that are open in the rear for tweets and mids, so I am wondering if I would like these too? What is the tweeter and mid made from?

Thanks... from this non-DIY type guy.  :mrgreen: