has anyone ever heard one of these before?

DS-21

Re: has anyone ever heard one of these before?
« Reply #60 on: 9 Jun 2012, 01:10 am »
And all of that so called voodoo is really well proven results across the board. If you are one of those guys that thinks caps are caps and wire is wire then you are really missing out, and have a lot to learn.

Whatever, Danny. You have an obvious pecuniary interest in hawking voodoo, so I won't say anything more about that nonsense on your forum.

Those DSP devices have no place in high end audio.

People with sense have no place in that voodoo cesspool called "high end audio."

I certainly desire no association with such mental midgets!

However, such devices can be used to great effect for people interested in high fidelity music reproduction.  Unlike 5-7" midwoofers and tweeters on 180deg waveguides. It's a world you might want to explore more thoroughly. Though the profit margins are probably smaller, because there's no super-expensive wire or electrical parts (caps, resistors, etc.) with eye-popping margins. Just solid engineering.

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 9 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »
Whatever, Danny. You have an obvious pecuniary interest in hawking voodoo, so I won't say anything more about that nonsense on your forum.

People with sense have no place in that voodoo cesspool called "high end audio."

I certainly desire no association with such mental midgets!

However, such devices can be used to great effect for people interested in high fidelity music reproduction.  Unlike 5-7" midwoofers and tweeters on 180deg waveguides. It's a world you might want to explore more thoroughly. Though the profit margins are probably smaller, because there's no super-expensive wire or electrical parts (caps, resistors, etc.) with eye-popping margins. Just solid engineering.

What's the matter DS? You didn't want to take my challenge:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87808.0

Afraid some voodoo might rub off on you and you start hearing differences?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #62 on: 9 Jun 2012, 01:31 am »
.................. this is starting to sound more and more like an AVS thread. Name calling and making snide remarks when you disagree with anothers opinion.

I may drop out.  :(

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 9 Jun 2012, 02:17 am »
Exotic materials do not equal performance either.
But you don't include caps, wire & resistors in this category?   :P

Those DSP devices have no place in high end audio. They literally suck the life out of the music. They have about the same quality levels as a CD player bought from Walmart for $99. They may be fun to play with and perfect for an entry level system, but that's about it.
Really?  You have used one?  Your customer Tyson uses one with his V2's and swears by it from what I remember.  If I remember correctly, he says that it is much better then his stock passive crossover.  Maybe he will chime in.   :dunno:

Skiman

« Reply #64 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:11 am »

Although every one and his brother-in-law raves about the dynamics of whatever speaker they happen to own, the truth is that most speakers have crappy dynamics.  In contrast, horns have life-like dynamics that, in my opinion, are more important than most of the “audiophile qualities” that preoccupy most audiophiles, and audiophile publications.  In fact, as I said in an essay I wrote a few years ago, it is my belief that audiophiles obsess over imaging and soundstaging in large part because their speakers are so deficient in dynamics, which are an essential part of music.

Larry

Have you ever listened to a pair of Danny's LS6 or LS9s? Sadly, they no longer appear on his product page, but are available from a few builders.  I own a pair of LS9s, and believe me, they are dynamic! And most certainly posses 'audiophile qualities too.

Personally, I've never been a fan of horns, at least indoors. :lol:

O.K., a little off topic, but I just had to chime in.

Danny Richie

« Reply #65 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:11 am »
But you don't include caps, wire & resistors in this category?

All common materials.  :P

Really?  You have used one?  Your customer Tyson uses one with his V2's and swears by it from what I remember.  If I remember correctly, he says that it is much better then his stock passive crossover.  Maybe he will chime in. 

Tyson installed a new tweeter with an open back. So the passive crossover could no longer be used.

Tom Danley

« Reply #66 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:12 am »
Hi all
One of the posters suggest I comment on the thread, so a few words.
The design may appear puzzling but there is a reason for the layout. 
The object is to produce the radiation of a single wide band driver and have a high degree of directivity and to have that directivity be as constant as possible.
In no order, the reason why the hf driver being behind the mids and the mids behind the woofers is because the hf portion emerges from a crossover first and the lf last.

In normal speakers, even ones called “time coherent” there is a phase shift going from below xover to above xover, they have an “all pass” phase rotation which is also a change in time. 
This would be true of all the familiar named types like Butterworth, Linkwitz and so on, they all have a rotation (above 1st order) which adds 90 degrees of shift per order so a 4th order exhibits a 360 degree phase rotation from well above to well below Xover F.

It is that phase shift or the change in time vs frequency which prevents most multi-way speakers from producing a square wave over a broad bandwidth.

We don’t listen to square waves but they are a good diagnostic signal and there reason they can do this has nothing to do with square waves.

If you have two drivers and place them a quarter wavelength or less apart, they add coherently into one source and they feel each others radiation resistance. This condition of coherent addition is easy for woofers where the wavelength is large compared to the source.   

If the two sources are significantly farther apart, say a half wavelength or more, then they radiate as independent sources instead of adding coherently and now produce an interference pattern which is a pattern of addition and cancelations evident in a polar pattern as lobes and nulls.   The greater the driver spacing, the more lobes and nulls are produced.

When one has a crossover, there is a region where both sources radiate simultaneously and so fall into this regime. In “hifi” loudspeakers the idea is to make the main or largest lobe face the listener and the nulls and other lobes point elsewhere. 
As one Goal in the synergy horn is to have a high degree of directivty and have it be constant, one cannot have an interference pattern and do this.   For the drivers to add within a synergy horn, they are always less than a quarter wavelength apart when they interact or where multiple drivers are interacting (such as 4 mids and 2 woofers in the SH-50).

By doing this and having ht e correct phase response from the crossovers, the drivers sum together into one system so well that you can remove the grill (mine don’t have grills,  but I like the look of horns) and not hear it’s a three way speaker, you can walk up and never hear there is more than one driver, even when your head is fully inside the horn mouth.

That coherent addition is the object, there are no lobes and nulls, only one large forward lobe that in time AND space appear to be a single driver.   
Being able to preserve time well enough to produce a square wave was simply a side effect, not the object.   By radiating as a single segment of a point source instead of an interference pattern, the speaker conveys less information about itself so far as where it is in depth when your eyes are closed in a home stereo .   
In larger sound installations where most of our stuff goes, there are several advantages over the arrays normally used.  First, there is still only one arrival in time instead of a arrival from each source according to distance from the microphone so the sound is vastly more hifi. Second with an interfering array, the frequency response is different at every location and if the wind blows at all, the interference pattern is quite obvious. 
The up side of those large arrays is they require a lot more drivers when they partly cancel each other out instead of adding coherently and of course more amplifiers, processors and so on all good for the manufacturers.
The up side of the Synergy horn is even though they are much smaller, without the inference pattern, there is far less energy radiated to the sides,  rear, up and down and this is great for sound large rooms.
So far as crossover design, there is no number one rule, there are lots of rules which apply and while a thumb rule might tell the DIY’r how to place them, what matters is if they interfere with each other.  Part of the reason they are large is for power handling and part because they are not a normal topology but a a filter design which accommodates  the amplitude and phase of each range to add into one source.
I have to apologize for our web site and the old measurements, since the web firm went under we have not been able to update anything and our new website is not quite done. The goal was to have it done before the Trade show next week but even that may not happen (I don’t know beans about that html stuff).  Since last year we have also been about as busy as we can be.   
To offset the stymied web page they set up a Facebook page which has FAR more current stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/DanleySoundLabs?ref=ts

One of the things  we have done in the development of the synergy horns was to adapt an old time subjective evaluation, the generation loss test.  In the old days  of analogue tape, one would record music and then see how many generations it would take before sounding bad.   
Any part of the modern reproduction chain can have a signal passed through it multiple times before it becomes unlistenable, any part except the loudspeaker.   When you use a measurement mic to record a loudspeaker (we did it while up in the air) you find some speakers sound bad on the first generation (some just listening through a mic), very few sound ok at two generations and very very few will go three generations and at three or four even an SH-50 is sounding lame.   
AS the Synergy horns got closer and closer to one source in time and space, they also would allow more generations before sounding bad.

While I can’t demonstrate them to you and the company isn’t interested in home hifi at the moment, if you have headphones, you can hear what a couple of them sound like.

The first outdoor test of the J1, here how little the sound changes as the camera man moves around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk54IFD4znw&feature=fvwrel

This is the J3, a demo in December for some stadium sound people. The video was taken by a guy who attended (his mics were squashed when too close to the sub).  This was pretty loud, adjust the volume to scale the voice at 1:30.    Most of the people were out in the field on a ridge at 450 feet (at 2:15 he pans out). Notice how there is no comb filtering as he moves and how much directivity there is when he walks under the flown cabinet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MOG_sPejGA&feature=related

What you can do with one

http://www.audioprointernational.com/news/read/danley-jericho-horns-cover-30-000-capacity-florida-football-stadium/03934

It had to happen, someone using two of them indoors for a stereo;

http://www.fohonline.com/news/6814-soundco-takes-pair-of-danley-jericho-horns-inside-for-church-project.html

What that sounds like

http://vimeo.com/40148645

Some history

http://www.avnetwork.com/features/0014/epiphany/77186

Its nice when even the players notice;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsS91hTKqw

Anyway, I hope the ramble helps explain what’s going on and what’s different.
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:43 am »
Tom,

Welcome to AC and thanks for joining in.

Rclark

« Reply #68 on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:52 am »
 Very Interesting Mr. Danley, thank you, hopefully you can stick around and answer questions. I'm going to dive in on that big post.

And DS-21, you are mistaken. I have been privy to Danny's "voodoo" a couple times now. The most telling situation was when I ran a GR crossover on one side and the stock one on another. Quite a difference in quality across the board. I don't think Danny is out to fool anybody or rip them off. If anyone can debate him on his practices, it would have to be a similar, eminent designer with much experience working on lots of driver and speaker designs, not a run of the mill hobbyist, or even a very good hobbyist. Just on the basis of I'd rather watch him answer real questions rather than swat away stuff he's obviously yawning over. So let's move on.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 9 Jun 2012, 02:12 pm »
Tyson installed a new tweeter with an open back. So the passive crossover could no longer be used.

Of course but you could've probably modded his stock crossover really easily as you know what the point would need to be.  Right?  Then he would have been using all the gloriious wire, caps and resistors that you say sound better instead of the DSP that you say isn't good for hifi.   :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91968.0
Background
Honestly, I was never quite happy with the V2 sound in passive mode.  I guess I have just been spoiled with the sound of an active system, and the control it affords you.

Like anything in this hobby there are multiple ways and opinions.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2012, 03:13 pm by jtwrace »

Danny Richie

« Reply #70 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:38 pm »
Of course but you could've probably modded his stock crossover really easily as you know what the point would need to be.  Right?  Then he would have been using all the gloriious wire, caps and resistors that you say sound better instead of the DSP that you say isn't good for hifi.   :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91968.0
Like anything in this hobby there are multiple ways and opinions.   :thumb:

For one, it would have meant redesigning the whole speaker. Testing, measuring, and everything all over again. Crossovers are not simply calculated. And it is not just about the crossover "point".

Secondly, if making a comparison between a passive crossover and a digital crossover and the DAC used with the passive crossover is no better than the DAC in the digital crossover then of course the digital crossover has advantages and will win out. All things being equal I'd go for the digital crossover as well.

However, current digital crossovers are not even close to the top of the line DAC's right now. Comparing the best of the best both have to offer there isn't a digital crossover out there right now in the same ballpark as the top level DAC's and a passive crossover design. Not even close.

The DAC's Tyson was comparing with was more of a lateral move. So I am not surprised in the least if he liked the digital solution better. And for him there was no other solution. And in the end he was not just using a digital crossover but an upgraded tweeter with an open back as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #71 on: 9 Jun 2012, 03:51 pm »
Hey jtwrace,

FYI, back when Tyson was going back and forth between digital and passive crossovers during the burn in process he posted this:

I've broken in drivers both with and without a passive crossover, and it's about equal between the 2, IMO.

He then went on to upgrade his passive crossovers and had pretty much settled on the passive crossover before going to the V-1 tweeter. He even noted differences and improvements when by-passing caps with Sonicap Platinum's. Those darn tweaky deals...

medium jim

« Reply #72 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:00 pm »
From the perspective of the end user, we/I don't really care about this or that.  What sells a speaker is how it sounds and not the stew under the hood.  I'm sure that there is a demographic that does or those who read reviews and buy from that end.  I'm saying this without disrespect or inference that one is better than the other.  However, my personal bias is for the simplest path and that is passive, but that doesn't mean that I would not by a speaker or an outboard active/digital X/O if it did put a bigger smile on my face.

Follow your ears to beautiful music and you will never be disappointed!

Jim

DS-21

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:12 pm »
What's the matter DS? You didn't want to take my challenge:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87808.0

Afraid some voodoo might rub off on you and you start hearing differences?

Actually, this thread is the first time I became aware of your little test. I'm willing to subject my claim to (real) testing. If you want to send the speakers (or just one, as mono has been shown as more revealing of subtle sonic differences in loudspeakers) to ATL with a prepaid return shipping label, I will be happy to take your test.

Note, however, that
(a) I will take my own measurements of the system with each crossover, and
(b) I will listen blind, assuming the measurements show that the two crossovers reasonably track each other. (If the measurements show they will sound different, there's little point in listening. One can safely assume they will be different and move on.)

Now, if those two conditions make you queasy... :)

(Though I already know what the answer will be if I don't hear a difference. You will say that my source or amp or "interconnects" or lack of a Tice clock on the wall or whatever were masking the differences.)

Now, how about you retract your obviously erroneous off-the-cuff assertions about Mr. Danley's design?

paulspencer

« Reply #74 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:13 pm »
Back to those original speakers, those CD horn things, would those be considered superior to the Geddes design, or just different? And is there any accessible way to make a pair or are you supposed to be of a certain level and reverse engineer it on your own?

Reading about them, and seeing stacked arrays in the living room makes them seem like a nice high end alternative choice.

The one gentleman, Paul I think, was able to show that they are of a high performance level.

Well, for you lucky guys in the US, I would say you can buy either Geddes or Danley speakers, or perhaps in some cases not have to travel too far to hear them. In terms of making your own, I would say a Synergy horn would be one of the most challenging speakers that one could design from scratch. If I had to think of something more challenging, I'd say it's the Jerico! There is quite some risk involved, much more so than a typical DIY project.

I have not heard a Geddes speaker. Last I heard, no Geddes speaker has made it to Australia - people don't like the shipping. I've heard the old Unity kit from Danley, and the Yorkville Unity, as well as my previous two different Synergy horn prototypes. Before that I heard quite a few speakers similar to a Geddes speaker in design, two of them being oblate spheroidal waveguides with various compression drivers, including DE250 which Geddes uses. I've spent a lot of time with both types of speaker and have a pretty good idea how they sound.

I prefer Synergy horns although I think they occupy similar territory. Those who like one will appreciate the other.

Conventional horn enthusiasts have always had to be a bit tolerant of some pretty major flaws and often severly obnoxious ones. This isn't the case with Geddes speakers, or with Synergy horns. You don't need to add a certain valve amp with the right valves installed to soften their nasty traits. You don't have to accept poor imaging. In fact I would say that only speakers I've heard that could show them up in terms of imaging and the sound stage used a DEQX digital active crossover in a highly treated large room.

Active vs passive ... the question you must ask is "are they doing the same job, or close to it?" That will have a large bearing on the result. You can get the two to sound the same, or they can be very different. If they are doing pretty much the same job, you can expect a very similar sonic result. You are now down to smaller differences like those from driving woofers direction vs having some of the damping factor robbed by inductors. Active may be better in theory in such a case, but not in terms of what you can hear. However, when you start getting a digital crossover to do a different job, you can end up with a very different result. Active might let you run the tweeter lower, leading to better off axis performance, or perhaps the tweeter just sounds better where it can run lower without strain. It can also dial in the ideal phase and group delay.

medium jim

« Reply #75 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:14 pm »
Okay, let's make this a pay per view thread...

Jim

Danny Richie

« Reply #76 on: 9 Jun 2012, 04:46 pm »
Actually, this thread is the first time I became aware of your little test. I'm willing to subject my claim to (real) testing. If you want to send the speakers (or just one, as mono has been shown as more revealing of subtle sonic differences) to ATL with a prepaid return shipping label, I will be happy to take your test.

Note, however, that
(a) I will take my own measurements of the system with each crossover, and
(b) I will listen blind, assuming the measurements show that the two crossovers reasonably track each other. (If the measurements show they will sound different, there's little point in listening. One can safely assume they will be different and move on.)

Now, if those two conditions make you queasy... :)

(Though I already know what the answer will be if I don't hear a difference. You will say that my source or amp or "interconnects" or lack of a Tice clock on the wall or whatever were masking the differences.)

Here is the way the free comparison works. Each person pays shipping to the next person.

Both crossovers measure identically. I matched the parts pretty closely too. Not only do my measurements show them to be the same but others that have measured them confirm that they are the same as well.

However, they do not sound at all the same. About 98% of all people making the comparison note a clear difference and a preference. And it is true that the few that have trouble hearing a difference or noting no difference are those using a budget system that is typically a receiver and cheap CD player and have had no regard for cables. This bottlenecks the differences and makes hearing them difficult. It is kind of like trying to decide which pair of glasses you can see through the best but you have mud on both pairs.  So if your system is along those lines then it might be not bo so cut and dry for you.

You can measure them all you want and even post those identical measurements. You must also share you listening impressions though. And you do really have to listen. You can't just measure them, see that they measure the same, then report that they have to sound the same.

DS-21

« Reply #77 on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:26 pm »
Here is the way the free comparison works. Each person pays shipping to the next person.

Danny, if I'm going to do marketing for your business (which is what this comparison is, if you're right about the differences) I'm not going to pay a dime to augment your marketing budget.

Really, you're lucky I don't demand my standard hourly rate for my real job for any measurement and listening time. I'm willing to do the measurements and listening pro bono only because there is a chance that I might be wrong and learn something. I don't suspect that will be the case, but one should never conduct a listening test without the utmost intention to ferret out any possible differences, no matter how implausible they may be. So my intention will be to ferret out differences. Should you be willing, I'd also appreciate a list of tracks you've found especially revealing of the differences. Otherwise, I'll use my standard audition playlist.

However, they do not sound at all the same.

That is an assertion which has yet to receive meaningful confirming data. I skimmed the thread, admittedly didn't read the whole thing, and from what I saw nobody seemed to use a methodology I consider adequate. If there is a post that shows a serious attempt to ferret out differences (listeners did not know which was playing, levels were confirmed to be matched, etc.) then please point it out to me.

And it is true that the few that have trouble hearing a difference or noting no difference are those using a budget system that is typically a receiver and cheap CD player and have had no regard for cables.

So we have our answer. If I don't hear a difference, you will blame my equipment.

Never mind that the last serious test to show a difference between two non broken CD transports or DACs was between a very first generation unit with effective 14-bit resolution, and a next-generation unit. (Another test of which I know showed a difference between a Stereophile-favorite Rat Shack portable player and a standard rack unit, but the Rat Shack player was found to have a channel out of phase. I consider that "broken.")

I have personally participated in a listening test with a technically superior unit (Meridian 508.20 factory upgraded to 508.24 spec) and a dirt cheap player (Samsung SACD/DVD-A/DVD player, that cost $60 at a big box store). There were no differences found. Except when someone inadvertently tried to use an SACD without a Red Book layer for one of the listening trials. Then there was a clear difference. :)

This bottlenecks the differences and makes hearing them difficult. It is kind of like trying to decide which pair of glasses you can see through the best but you have mud on both pairs.  So if your system is along those lines then it might be not bo so cut and dry for you.

As someone who has required vision correction for over 20 years, and currently requires a fairly high degree of power assistance, I know from experience that I can quickly and easily see a difference between dirty glasses lenses that are -5.25 in one eye and -5.50 in the other, and dirty glasses lenses that are -5.50 in both eyes.

You can measure them all you want and even post those identical measurements. You must also share you listening impressions though. And you do really have to listen. You can't just measure them, see that they measure the same, then report that they have to sound the same.

What I wrote above was the following:
"I will listen blind, assuming the measurements show that the two crossovers reasonably track each other. (If the measurements show they will sound different, there's little point in listening. One can safely assume they will be different and move on.)"

To simplify for people with inadequate reading comprehension skills to competently follow complex ideas, that could be rephrased more simply as:
(a) if they measure substantially the same, I will listen blind, BUT.
(b) if they measure differently, I'll post the different measurements and move on.

Though I'll add to that by "measurement" I mean nothing more than an on-axis FR measurement for each (without moving the mike or the speaker, just swapping wires) and maybe if I feel like it (but probably not) an impedance sweep.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #78 on: 9 Jun 2012, 06:03 pm »
Hi all
One of the posters suggest I comment on the thread, so a few words.
*snip*
Best,
Tom Danley
Danley Sound Labs

Welcome to AudioCircle, Mr. Danley. :thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 9 Jun 2012, 06:16 pm »
Danny, if I'm going to do marketing for your business (which is what this comparison is, if you're right about the differences) I'm not going to pay a dime to augment your marketing budget.

Really, you're lucky I don't demand my standard hourly rate for my real job for any measurement and listening time. I'm willing to do the measurements and listening pro bono only because there is a chance that I might be wrong and learn something. I don't suspect that will be the case, but one should never conduct a listening test without the utmost intention to ferret out any possible differences, no matter how implausible they may be. So my intention will be to ferret out differences. Should you be willing, I'd also appreciate a list of tracks you've found especially revealing of the differences. Otherwise, I'll use my standard audition playlist.

You don't understand. This challenge isn't for me. It's for you. It is for educational purposes only. You have the opportunity to learn something and all it cost you is for you to cover the shipping cost to the next person. I am not going to loan out equipment to you and pay for shipping also just for your education. I am making it real easy for you, but you have to pay a small shipping charge to send them to the next person when you are done.

That is an assertion which has yet to receive meaningful confirming data. I skimmed the thread, admittedly didn't read the whole thing, and from what I saw nobody seemed to use a methodology I consider adequate. If there is a post that shows a serious attempt to ferret out differences (listeners did not know which was playing, levels were confirmed to be matched, etc.) then please point it out to me.

Read some more then. Levels not changed, A/B, and blind A/B for most people. Been there done that. It is not a hard test that requires careful back and forth comparisons for hours on end trying to hear a subtle difference. For most the difference is night and day. And within a few minutes of comparison the higher quality crossover can be discerned in a few seconds.   

I have personally participated in a listening test with a technically superior unit (Meridian 508.20 factory upgraded to 508.24 spec) and a dirt cheap player (Samsung SACD/DVD-A/DVD player, that cost $60 at a big box store). There were no differences found. Except when someone inadvertently tried to use an SACD without a Red Book layer for one of the listening trials. Then there was a clear difference.

So all CD players sound the same huh? Wow.... I don't think I even need to say anything more about that.  :duh: