How Would The Cherry's Stack Up To Macintosh 501's and 240V Version

bhobba

Hi All

This is my first post on the DAC forum so please bear with me.

I am normally the type of guy that likes lower powered valve amps - my current amp is a 15w Leben CS300XS.  However I am helping a friend put together a new system with some Lenehan ML3 References which are 89 db efficient.  He has heard them with my Leben and an 8W Trafomatic Experience 2 SET I have and to my ears both sounded great but he thought they were being pushed a bit too hard to play at the levels he likes.  He also heard them on some 500W Macintosh 501's (evidently it will do 1.2KW on peaks) and was really taken with that amp - but its $20K - ouch.  Anyway I said I would hunt around to see if I could find some good higher power stuff at a more affordable price.  Then I remembered this forum on Audio Circles and how some guys whose ears I trust raved about the Cherry amps on SP Tech speakers which are in many ways similar to the Lenehans.

It may be possible the Cherry is right up my friends ally and maybe I should get one out here to Brisbane Australia where I am.  Which brings me to the second question - is a 240V version available?

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

Hi Guys

Just had an email from Tommy and it looks like a 220v version is available for us here in Aus so will probably be getting a Cherry Junior sent out.  Just waiting on a pre amp I am getting made, called the Truth, to be finished before ordering one.  Very interesting comparing it to some of the stuff out our way.   An acquaintance of mine does reviews out here in Aus:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/

Will look to see if John can do a review.

Thanks
Bill

mojave

I love my Cherry Jr. I'm looking forward to a possible review. Thanks for the link to Digital Audio Review. I'll have fun reading through the reviews.