New Used Pair of VSA VR-4 SR mkII...Need Affordable Speaker Cable Advice

Evo-No_Revo

I am picking up a nice used pair of VSA VR-4 SR mkII this weekend for a killer price....3495.00...no grill or Data Link but nice price and excellent condition.

I have spent waaaay too much money on audio in the last couple of years. I had my ass kicked by a shipping incident that I am still waiting on international insurance to pay.  They won't pay and being in the US and the company is in Europe I don't see it happening.  Lets just say my Lampizator Golden Gate 2 and my Pink Faun Dual 2.12 Streamer got skewered by a forklift fork and I got screwed.  Time to move on. 

In the haze of being pissed beyond belief and truly emotionally hurt by it, I punted and sold my TAD Evolution Ones in disgust for the whole experience.  The pain reminded me of when I was 14 years old in the mid 70s and my first stereo got stolen while we were on vacation.  I worked at McDonalds for a year to buy my Pioneer system.  Same sort of gut check.

Anyway, I am back with my Dartzeel NHB 108 amp, Chord DAVE Dac, brand new fully loaded Pink Faun 2.16X Streamer and picking up my VR-4 SR mkII this weekend.  I eventually want VAC Phi Beta 110i Integrated amplifier but I love my Dart!

I have been using Verastarr power cables and Audience speaker cables for many years.  But my Audience are going to my HT setup and I need new (used) double set of speaker cables.  I don't want to and really can't right now spend 2-4K for a double set of cables.

Can someone please recommend a set of cables that I might find for say 500.00 a pair that might work with my combination.  I was thinking silver on bottom and copper on top but any suggestions are welcome.  I have been looking for MasterBuilt used for a while and nothing has come up.

I understand everything is system dependent but I am open to all information.

Delacroix

Hello Evo-No-Revo

Welcome aboard. Glad you snuck a good deal on a pair of speakers you want, helps ease the agony of the other stuff you mentioned (and I think many of us have been there, I now refuse to accept boxes with gouges in them without taking a pic of them with the delivery guy present and in the pic, I suspect some shipping folks have their own idea of 'fun' at work).

Well, speakers cables will get lots of people riled up if we allow it but let's stick with the basic question -- what's out there at $500 - lots might be available used but you can't predict at any given time. Can you clarify - you mean you want two pairs at up to $500 per pair ($1000 in total) or you want a biwire or double run pair for $500? FYI, I've used Audio Art (two pairs) when I first got my VR5s, they were decent and cheap (still have them as spares as I bought 15ft runs and sometimes need a longer run for other systems). I gather many folks like the Analysis Plus line with VSA too, but I'll let others chip in. I've used VSA and Elrod for years now and don't really think about cables anymore. You can lose a lot of money on wire so I'd suggest caution and trying things out if possible.

best

Patrick

Phil A

If you're a DIY type guy and want something that is good and not difficult you can try double runs of (where one spool is red and one black):

https://www.newark.com/belden/83030-002100/hook-up-wire-100ft-16awg-copper/dp/02F5417?mckv=sBMiVzMf1_dc|pcrid|81515566341|plid||kword||match||slid||product|02F5417|pgrid|20376566541|ptaid|pla-261192747315|&gross_price=true&CATCI=pla-261192747315&CAAGID=20376566541&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-SHOPPING-Cable&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuvv0hIGJ3wIVDVcMCh04Zgz1EAQYAiABEgIW1PD_BwE&CAWELAID=120185550000929076

https://www.newark.com/belden/83030-010100/hook-up-wire-100ft-16awg-copper/dp/02F5425

Will compete with much more expensive stuff for less money (and you can get whatever connectors you want to use).  Otherwise, I'd say figure out name brands which might be of interest to you and do searches here:

https://www.hifishark.com/

Welcome to the forum as well.

richidoo

I like JPS cables. Yes, their top models are very expensive, but they make versions in all price categories. New 8 foot pair of UltraConductor2 is $499, or biwire version for a little more. JPS is very precise and clean, uncolored, with strong clear bass. Good if you like tonal texture and ultra clear view into complex mixes.

Harmonic Technology is another great one that was very popular and comes up for sale often. There was a pair of Pro 9s here on AC a couple days ago.  These have a sunny and beautiful slight coloration to them, barely noticeable but very pleasant, easy to love, very clear, excellent bass, etc.

Try the used market for cables.

Evo-No_Revo

Delacroix:  Thanks for the welcome! 

Yes, I think I want two separate runs that could total as much as 1,000.00 (500.00 a set).  But I am starting to waffle on that for the time being.   

I at first thought I would just buy a set of bi wire speaker cables.  As Richido has mentioned, I found the set of Harmonic Technology Pro 9s on HifiShark the other day. But then I realized that the connections on the VR-4 are quite unique and not having the Data Link would be an issue.   I really don't want to use the Data Link anyway as the manual states is not optimum.  Then I started to confuse myself with the manual and conversations on the net.  That is where I started to think the the dual separate runs would be best.  As in running two sets of cables from my amp.

I contacted the guy with the Harmonic Technology Pro 9s yesterday but have not got back as I am not exactly clear what I want. 

I called VSA today but have not had a call back as of yet. Does anyone know if the Data Link is still available from VSA and if so, how much it is?

My other issue is that the space I have for my 2 channel is quite small.  It is open and airy as it is linked to my kitchen.  But the speakers are going to HAVE to be very close to the front wall and side walls.  My listening volumes are pretty low but the size is still way off from optimal.  I couldn't pass up the speakers at that price though. 

Phil thanks for the link. That is a possibility for the time being and I could rewire my rears in my home theater and my vintage system as well.  I wouldn't even need connectors...just straight wire.  And yes, I know of Hifishark.  I click on it more than any other website on the net everyday.  It is kind of dangerous...

Richidoo, I am looking into the JPS, thanks.  I am for the most part a used equipment guy.

Jenner

The datalink is garbage. You don't want it.

Better off with a long run of cables from amp to woofer module bottom binding posts and then a short run from woofer top binding posts to top module binding posts.

Bi wiring isn't any different than the above. Waste of money.
Bi amping on the other hand IS totally worth it and how I have my VR-5s set up.

Do what you can to spread them out as much as possible for the best sound stage. They don't want to be on top of each other.

Also try to keep them away from the side walls as well. You'll get great bass boost, but it will end up being too much unless you have some room EQ software running to pull it out. Plus the reflections from the front and rear tweeters will be extreme. Put some acoustic foam on that wall if possible at the first reflection point to help:
https://www.foambymail.com/AP3/acoustical-3-pyramid-foam.html

nc42acc

I have the VR5 Anniv. MKII and the datalink isn't worth your time. Go to BlueJeans cables and get a reasonable bi wire cable set and you will be much happier. Or order some Canare 4S11 and make your own if you are DIY kinda audiophile. Hope this helps.

Drummerboy2

I am picking up a nice used pair of VSA VR-4 SR mkII this weekend for a killer price....3495.00...no grill or Data Link but nice price and excellent condition.

I have spent waaaay too much money on audio in the last couple of years. I had my ass kicked by a shipping incident that I am still waiting on international insurance to pay.  They won't pay and being in the US and the company is in Europe I don't see it happening.  Lets just say my Lampizator Golden Gate 2 and my Pink Faun Dual 2.12 Streamer got skewered by a forklift fork and I got screwed.  Time to move on. 

In the haze of being pissed beyond belief and truly emotionally hurt by it, I punted and sold my TAD Evolution Ones in disgust for the whole experience.  The pain reminded me of when I was 14 years old in the mid 70s and my first stereo got stolen while we were on vacation.  I worked at McDonalds for a year to buy my Pioneer system.  Same sort of gut check.

Anyway, I am back with my Dartzeel NHB 108 amp, Chord DAVE Dac, brand new fully loaded Pink Faun 2.16X Streamer and picking up my VR-4 SR mkII this weekend.  I eventually want VAC Phi Beta 110i Integrated amplifier but I love my Dart!

I have been using Verastarr power cables and Audience speaker cables for many years.  But my Audience are going to my HT setup and I need new (used) double set of speaker cables.  I don't want to and really can't right now spend 2-4K for a double set of cables.

Can someone please recommend a set of cables that I might find for say 500.00 a pair that might work with my combination.  I was thinking silver on bottom and copper on top but any suggestions are welcome.  I have been looking for MasterBuilt used for a while and nothing has come up.

I understand everything is system dependent but I am open to all information.

I will probably take some heat for this suggestion but look into some Mogami speaker cable. They are inexpensive and are made of very good material. They won't cost you an arm and leg. I used to get all caught up in the hype for what was supposed to be the best cables and interconnects but I tried XLO, Audioquest, Wire World, Cardas, Transparent Audio, Harmonic Technology. The Mogami 3104 are really nice. You will need to put the connectors on yourself or run them bare. Give them a try! Hope this help!

kernelbob

I owned a pair of VR4-SR-II speakers and had them upgraded to the VR5-Anniversary models.  Since then, I've moved up to the VR100XS system.  Throughout this evolution, I've heard many interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords both in my system and others.  MasterBuilt cabling took my system to higher levels of performance than any other cabling, beyond what I thought possible.  This includes more extended deep bass; better macro and micro dynamics; more coherent instrumental timbre; and better resolution of acoustic hall ambience and fine detail.  The bottom line is that there is a higher level of realism to the music.

There are four MasterBuilt lines-- Performance, Reference, Signature, and Ultra.  The last series to be released is the most cost effective Performance line.  It benefits from trickle-down engineering developed during the designing of the more expensive lines.  If you do try MB cables, give them time to settle in and reach their performance capability.  You can audition them with a 90 day trial.

Best,
Robert

P.S.  The VSA speakers respond best with bi-wiring or bi-amping.  The crossovers for the M/T and woofer sections are completely separate.  Bi-wiring prevents the higher current bass signal from magnetically interacting with the M/T signal which would flow on the same connectors in a single pair of cables.  The sonic benefit is easily audible.  Simply using a jumper at the speaker end doesn't give this benefit.

JerryLove

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

If you really want to spend $500: I'll buy those and spruce them up for you at that price.

JerryLove

P.S.  The VSA speakers respond best with bi-wiring or bi-amping.  The crossovers for the M/T and woofer sections are completely separate.  Bi-wiring prevents the higher current bass signal from magnetically interacting with the M/T signal which would flow on the same connectors in a single pair of cables.  The sonic benefit is easily audible.  Simply using a jumper at the speaker end doesn't give this benefit.
You may not have seen a circuit diagram on how a passive crossover works... but identical signals go down both cables in bi-wiring. On the woofers, there's a low-pass crossover that turns the HF signal into heat; and on the tweeter/mid, there's a high-pass filter that turns the bass into heat. But anywhere upstream of the crossover, the signal is identical.

kernelbob

You may not have seen a circuit diagram on how a passive crossover works... but identical signals go down both cables in bi-wiring. On the woofers, there's a low-pass crossover that turns the HF signal into heat; and on the tweeter/mid, there's a high-pass filter that turns the bass into heat. But anywhere upstream of the crossover, the signal is identical.

In the VSA speakers, the M/T crossovers present a very high impedance at low frequencies (below the M/T range).  That greatly reduces the current flow of the bass frequencies in the M/T speaker cable in a bi-wire configuration.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2018, 01:02 pm by kernelbob »

Evo-No_Revo

Ended up duplicating the main set of Audience Au24 SE I am using on the VAS VR-4 with another set for the lower bass module.  I am very happy with the selection.

I can definitely hear an improvement over the Blue Jean cables that I bought for the lower module.  But that's the difference between a 30.00 set of cables compared to a retail price of 2K.  I paid much less, thanks HiFiShark!

Now just waiting for Pink Faun to get my server finished up and 2 channel system with be in a very good place. 

Thanks for the advice..