Love GIK, but...

ajzepp

Love GIK, but...
« on: 12 May 2019, 02:12 pm »
I've been a GIK customer for over a decade and have spent a lot of money on their gear. I've made at least four trips to the Atlanta warehouse in person, and just took delivery on 16 traps this past week. I just say this as a preface, to point out that I obviously love this company and am very satisfied with their stuff.

That being said...

I recently consulted with one of their reps, who encouraged me to give the GridFusors a go on the back wall. I was wanting to go with two or three of their well diffusors, but apparently their supplier went FUBAR and so further production is on hold. I knew I could just paint these things and use some command strips for a nice temp solution. I had initially just planned to put a bunch of these things on the ceiling.

Anyway, long story short, I had no idea these were just molded styrofoam. At over $50 a panel, this is the first time where I felt as if a GIK product was not up to par. Not only did two of them arrive damaged, but they are clearly very fragile, and a true nightmare to paint. I put three coats on the one in the photo below. It looks acceptable in the photo, but in person it just doesn't look appealing whatsoever.

So even though it may not sound like it, Im not trying to hack on GIK here, just to share my experience and to encourage people to consider only using this product for what it was designed for - a substitute panel in a drop down ceiling.  If I would have known these were made of this material, I never would have bought them.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Love GIK, but...
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 03:10 pm »
My guess is they're hot wire cut rather than molded to the finished shape, but that's hair splitting.

I've never known any type of foam, expanded or extruded, to be what I'd call easy to paint... just too porous. Sealing with something more goopy, perhaps Duratex or similar, then finish color might be better.

I can imagine the packaging to protect something like the corner you show being as disproportionately expensive when compared to the product itself.

youngho

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2019, 03:22 pm »
I'm sorry about your disappointment, but the second paragraph on the Gridfusor product page identifies them as being made of expanded polystyrene: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-gridfusor/. Should they have made this more clear somehow for you? RPG's Skyline and Vicoustic's Multifuser DC2 are also made of polystyrene, using primitive root diffusion, and they cost quite a bit more.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2019, 03:35 pm »
I'm sorry about your disappointment, but the second paragraph on the Gridfusor product page identifies them as being made of expanded polystyrene: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-gridfusor/. Should they have made this more clear somehow for you? RPG's Skyline and Vicoustic's Multifuser DC2 are also made of polystyrene, using primitive root diffusion, and they cost quite a bit more.

Well, I'm not 100% sure I would have equated "polystyrene" with styrofoam even if I had seen it, TBH, but I was going off the recommendation of a GIK rep...so while your point that I should have maybe spent more time researching what I was getting is perfectly valid, their advice has always been pretty reliable in the past. And again, I'm not meaning to throw them under the bus...I have full intentions to remain a customer, and as soon as those well diffusors are back in stock, they'll be getting more of my money. Just posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else considering this option.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2019, 03:36 pm »
My guess is they're hot wire cut rather than molded to the finished shape, but that's hair splitting.

I've never known any type of foam, expanded or extruded, to be what I'd call easy to paint... just too porous. Sealing with something more goopy, perhaps Duratex or similar, then finish color might be better.

I can imagine the packaging to protect something like the corner you show being as disproportionately expensive when compared to the product itself.

Thanks, I've got two more to paint, so I'll try to go that route. It'll be less of a concern from here on out since I'll be tossing them up on a 15' high ceiling, but definitely would prefer to improve the finished product regardless. Appreciate the tip.

youngho

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 03:46 pm »
Well, I'm not 100% sure I would have equated "polystyrene" with styrofoam even if I had seen it, TBH, but I was going off the recommendation of a GIK rep...so while your point that I should have maybe spent more time researching what I was getting is perfectly valid, their advice has always been pretty reliable in the past. And again, I'm not meaning to throw them under the bus...I have full intentions to remain a customer, and as soon as those well diffusors are back in stock, they'll be getting more of my money. Just posting this in case it's helpful to anyone else considering this option.

I find it helpful to use Google when I run across words that I don't know. Styrofoam is a trademarked term, similar to Kleenex.

RPG also used to recommend water-based paint for their Skyline product. A Google search suggests that acrylic paint or else paint specifically marketed for painting Styrofoam should be okay, but it looks like oil-based or other solvent-based paints may damage the polystyrene.

Good luck. I have Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s in gray (I ordered two panels individually first to make sure the appearance was acceptable).

Young-Ho

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 03:49 pm »
I find it helpful to use Google when I run across words that I don't know. Styrofoam is a trademarked term, similar to Kleenex.

RPG also used to recommend water-based paint for their Skyline product. A Google search suggests that acrylic paint or else paint specifically marketed for painting Styrofoam should be okay, but it looks like oil-based or other solvent-based paints may damage the polystyrene.

Good luck. I have Vicoustic Multifuser DC2s in gray (I ordered two panels individually first to make sure the appearance was acceptable).

Young-Ho

Cool, man. And hey, thanks for not being condescending at all. lol

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 04:09 pm »
AJ,

I use GIK Gridfusors as well on my ceiling - several of them actually.

We used a primer coat first on them so only one coat of water based black paint was needed. Next after arranging  them on the ceiling, we built a wooden frame and wrapped the entire thing with acoustically transparent Guilford of Maine fabric. The wood frame pops off by removing screws on the edges if any maintenance is required or if I wanted to go for a different diffuser design on the ceiling. The frame and ceiling have colors that match such that the frame looks like a highlight.

It was a DIY project for sure. I think I have 10 Gridfusors on the ceiling but you can’t see them!  I may have 2 left in storage if you want them and I believe they are already pre painted in black.

They serve their purpose very well in all honesty and are quite durable too once primed/painted.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2019, 04:13 pm »
AJ,

I use GIK Gridfusors as well on my ceiling - several of them actually.

We used a primer coat first on them so only one coat of water based black paint was needed. Next after arranging  them on the ceiling, we built a wooden frame and wrapped the entire thing with acoustically transparent Guilford of Maine fabric. The wood frame pops off by removing screws on the edges if any maintenance is required or if I wanted to go for a different diffuser design on the ceiling. The frame and ceiling have colors that match such that the frame looks like a highlight.

It was a DIY project for sure. I think I have 10 Gridfusors on the ceiling but you can’t see them!  I may have 2 left in storage if you want them and I believe they are already pre painted in black.

They serve their purpose very well in all honesty and are quite durable too once primed/painted.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Anand.

Wow, that sounds amazing! The ceiling application is what appeals to me most about them. I'm probably going to toss up a couple of 242s or 244s with the GIK cloud brackets, but given how light these are it'll be really easy to put them up there. I'll definitely try some of the suggestions you guys have made to see if I can improve the aesthetics a bit. Thanks for the info, man :)

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2019, 05:19 pm »
When I built (diy) my diffuser I put a skim coat of acrylic stucco base.
Its formulated to adhere to styrofoam.

Not only did it make a nice base, it toughened the whole thing up
and made it a breeze to paint.

It hangs on the wall behind my front speaks.
<--- can see it on my avatar.

You should be able to repair the damage with some canned spray foam, a knife and some sand paper.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2019, 05:38 pm »

When I ordered from a competitor, they had been cut with hot wire, and were shipped with the negatives as well as the positive, providing a  block for shipping. 

cipriano

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2019, 08:18 pm »
I must agree with the OP. I purchased them knowing full well they are Styrofoam. But I certainly expected higher quality. I don't know, greater density or less of a packaging Styrofoam look, something like that. I wouldn't order them again but I am pleased with their absorption panels and bass traps. I'm also waiting on a 24×36 art panel absorber.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2019, 03:05 am »
I must agree with the OP. I purchased them knowing full well they are Styrofoam. But I certainly expected higher quality. I don't know, greater density or less of a packaging Styrofoam look, something like that. I wouldn't order them again but I am pleased with their absorption panels and bass traps. I'm also waiting on a 24×36 art panel absorber.

Exactly...it's pretty rare I come across a company where I love EVERY product, so the fact that it's only happened once is pretty impressive. Sounds like others have used these as the foundation of more of a DIY type project, which I find very impressive. They just aren't for me, and I felt it may be useful to mention since there may be others who aren't so much looking for a DIY option, and purchase these not fully realizing all that they entail. And like you, I'm extremely pleased with the rest of their stuff. I wouldn't have invested in hundreds in a single 6foot art panel otherwise...just this one particular piece I'm a bit disappointed with.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2019, 03:06 am »
When I built (diy) my diffuser I put a skim coat of acrylic stucco base.
Its formulated to adhere to styrofoam.

Not only did it make a nice base, it toughened the whole thing up
and made it a breeze to paint.

It hangs on the wall behind my front speaks.
<--- can see it on my avatar.

You should be able to repair the damage with some canned spray foam, a knife and some sand paper.

Great looking system! Love the contrast between the black and red. Looks fantastic.

ajzepp

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2019, 03:08 am »
When I ordered from a competitor, they had been cut with hot wire, and were shipped with the negatives as well as the positive, providing a  block for shipping.

That would be a much better shipping solution. The box that the diffusors arrived in looked to be in pristine condition, so I can only imagine what would have happened if it had been beaten up a bit more in transit.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2019, 11:34 am »
Hey Guys,

I wanted to jump in on this. First thank you ajzepp for your feedback and I will look at the page to see if we can make that  clearer.  I don't ever want a customer to receive something they did not totally understand.  With that said that material really is about the only thing we have been able to come up with that keeps the cost down. If you want to upgrade from that then maybe look at the Gotham Skyline we have, but those are nearly 3 times the cost.  Hate to say it but building diffusors is just expensive anyway you look at it.

Glenn
Owner - GIK Acoustics

youngho

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2019, 01:54 pm »
I forgot to mention that Vicoustic makes a similar-looking polystyrene product called the Trap Fuser, which is available in white, gray, and black, so no painting would be required. I actually quite like the appearance of the gray Multifuser DC2 (which ships with pairs of panels nested face-to-face), though it doesn't look like that's possible for the Trap Fuser. As I recall, there is also an option to buy "fins" (longer rectangular flat pieces) to insert into the Trap Fuser to create wells and improve the diffusion. However, it looks like this would end up costing more, either way.

One resource for DIY diffusers is http://arqen.com/

Young-Ho

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2019, 02:11 pm »
Hey Guys,

I wanted to jump in on this. First thank you ajzepp for your feedback and I will look at the page to see if we can make that  clearer.  I don't ever want a customer to receive something they did not totally understand.  With that said that material really is about the only thing we have been able to come up with that keeps the cost down. If you want to upgrade from that then maybe look at the Gotham Skyline we have, but those are nearly 3 times the cost.  Hate to say it but building diffusors is just expensive anyway you look at it.

Glenn
Owner - GIK Acoustics

Thanks, Glenn. I think these will be great for my ceiling, so once you guys get the Q7d diffusors back fired up again, I'll be back for more. The other 18 panels I just put up recently have completely transformed the room acoustics...(instead of the "clap test" I've been using my dog's bark for reference lol), so thanks for such a great product line overall. They make an incredible difference at an affordable price.