Need help with selling cutlery

yamaha626

Need help with selling cutlery
« on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:41 pm »
Hi All,

While making preparations for furnishing a 2nd home; I discovered some cutlery that I've never used. 2 Shun "Classic" line knives that were given to me as a gift several yrs ago. They are beautiful knives but I'm a ceramic knife guy and have been since around Y2K, and I'm just never going to use these knives.

So my question is : Where is a good place to sell these  (other then ebay) ? Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Need help with selling cutlery
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2019, 04:49 pm »
p.m. sent.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2019, 05:09 pm »
Nowhere is a good place to sell knives. Give them as gifts.

yamaha626

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2019, 05:11 pm »
Hmm, are you talking about the town in OK  :lol:

kclark0395

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2019, 09:20 pm »
Another PM sent.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2019, 09:29 pm »
I assume you already have an offer from the guys sending PM's. 
The Shun Classics are decent intro level Japanese VG10 stainless knives.  If you have a two knife set, you probably have a medium chef knife and a paring knife.  A new Tojiro set(a brand of equal or better value) is about $100.  Shun would sell for a bit more because they are marketed more aggressively.  They should sell for $60-90 if they are nearly new condition. 

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2019, 09:48 pm »
Amazon has a trade in program on some items, but not all.  Pull up your knives' page and see if it says Trade In on the right column.

yamaha626

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2019, 04:01 pm »
Hello All,
I've received more interest then I expected; so here are the models that I have.
DM0701 6" utility knife
DM0712 Vegetable cleaver...but I always thought I would use it as a rib/chicken cleaver

As I already stated, I FAR prefer the Kyocera ceramic cutlery...these knives just work for me, I like their ergonomics, weight and low maintenance. Otherwise I would keep the shun knives but they are just gathering dust in my knife drawer and I know that other people would appreciate them more then I do.

If anyone wishes to see photos, I have them listed on Craigslist Phila but can also email photos if you provide me with your email address.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2019, 04:24 pm »
Well that cleaver is a beauty.

Here's a link to your ad.  https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/newtown-square-chun-classic-cutlery/6813715237.html

Please don't turn the Culinary Circle into a venue for selling pre-owned cutlery.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2019, 04:27 pm »
By the way, that cleaver is not for ribs or bone, you will damage it if you use it that way.

DM0712 Vegetable cleaver...but I always thought I would use it as a rib/chicken cleaver

yamaha626

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2019, 06:28 pm »
Well that cleaver is a beauty.

Here's a link to your ad.  https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/hsh/d/newtown-square-chun-classic-cutlery/6813715237.html

Please don't turn the Culinary Circle into a venue for selling pre-owned cutlery.

Sorry, my original post was asking for advise...it was never intended to be an ad

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2019, 06:34 pm »
That cleaver is awesome!

yamaha626

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2019, 07:17 pm »
Yep the cleaver is the star of the show.

And yes, it would handle chicken or rib bones (whether raw or cooked ((smoked in my world)) just fine...probably like a hot knife thru butter. And besides, VG10 steel can always be sharpened...right

Several years ago I used to have a bbq team, and my ex-wife thought these knives would be handy but they were waaay to nice to take on the mid-atlantic bbq circuit, and I was already very pleased with my other knives...so I put them in my knife drawer and forgot all about them until I starting separating which cutlery was staying in PA and which is moving to the new place.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2019, 03:40 pm »
And yes, it would handle chicken or rib bones (whether raw or cooked ((smoked in my world)) just fine...

The evidence suggests otherwise...  :o :peek:

https://www.chowhound.com/post/asian-veggie-cleaver-bone-bad-892966?page=4

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2019, 03:57 pm »
Someone tried to crack a coconut with this one ....

BTW it's not just Shun's that will chip if misused -

yamaha626

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2019, 04:41 pm »
Hi John R,

I can't help it if bozo's use their knives incorrectly. And your photos show some major damage...I couldn't even damage an ax to that extreme.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:47 pm »
Hi JohnR,
     that cleaver could be worth some money. It looks like the one that Curley Howard got whacked with by Moe. Chef Tony has a knife for sale that can slice a tomato so thin it only has one side...that's the one I would buy even though Chef Tony looks a little bit like Hitler lately......Mark K.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2019, 07:38 am »
Well, you're not supposed to give a knife as a gift as it can "cut the friendship."  If you do gift a knife, tape a penny to it and have the recipient pay you with that coin. 

Not that I'm superstitious or anything. :wink: