USB to SPDiF Converters

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
USB to SPDiF Converters
« on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:25 pm »
I do believe this is the correct circle for this:

I'm in the market for a well made and quiet - yet not overly expensive USB to SPDif converter or interface. I have spent a bit of time and effort researching different brands, and I've contacted a few manufacturers. What I haven't tracked down much are comments and opinions from fellow audiophiles.

Have you used USB to SPDiF converters? Which do you like? Which do you dislike?

Here's a list of the ones that look appealing to me:

Ciunas Audio  ISO-SPDIF - isolated USB to SPDIF converter - supercapacitor power    https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/iso-spdif

CI Audio Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter (plus a power supply)  https://ciaudio.com/product/transient-mkii-asynchronous-usb-converter

Singxer SU-6  https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/singxer-su-6-usb-digital-interface-xmos-xu208-cpld-femtosecond-clock-ship-interface.html

Analogue Research Technology Legato  http://www.ar-t.co/oldLEGATO.html

Schiit Eitr  http://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

Small Green Computer SonicTransporter+ultraRendu+ultraDigital combo https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/music-players/products/ps-audio-i2s-bundle-ultrarendu-ultradigital-7v-linear-power-supply

M2Tech  HiFace EVO 2 Advanced USB to SPDIF Stereo adapter with Remote  https://www.m2techusa.com/collections/frontpage/products/hi-face-evo-2-advanced-pc-to-stereo-adapter-span-style-color-ff0000-new-span

SW1X USB to SPDiF II Converter   http://sw1xad.co.uk/product/usb-2/

I'm exhausted just from typing and cutting and pasting.

Anyone have any experience or impressions of any of the above converters?

Lastly, there are a couple other options. One is to simply buy a server/streamer that has USB input and SPDiF output - the Salk Streamer comes to mind. Another option is to buy an inexpensive converter and to buy a new CDT. I'd use the CDT to play my CDs and my Mac Mini to stream TIDAL. I may subscribe to Roon very soon.

Any help and any suggestions are appreciated.  :thumb:

Michael

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: USB to SPDiF Converters
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:10 pm »
It's often hard for me to figure out where a thread should go on AC, but I'm pretty sure this topic will be better served in the Discless Circle as Least Resistance is for cables.   I'll move it over for you.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:27 pm »
I picked up a Wyred4Sound (https://wyred4sound.com/products/clearance-0) a bit over a month ago for a secondary system where I have a Hegel 190 Integrated/DAC/Streamer.  The USB on the Hegel is limited and DLNA doesn't work that great via ethernet on DSD files (converts it to crap and skips).  I've not tried any of the others and the secondary system doesn't see tons of use.

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:19 pm »
I have no experience whatsoever with the Topping d10, but it looks like it might be a good option:  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:30 pm »
I know how seriously jkeny takes minimizing noise in his products so the Ciunas would get my vote, but that SW1X, wow, that's a whole other level. I didn't even know you could make a master clock with tubes. I would absolutely buy another converter to compare if I got that one. At that price, it better flatten the competition.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2019, 05:42 pm »
I used a cheapie usb-spdif converter (Teralink) for about 2 years.

I then picked up an M2Tech HiFace 2.  Much better, used that for 5-6 years.   Seemed comparatively quieter, and never clicked when changing resolution.

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:13 pm »
I own and have used the CI Audio in my office system.  It works and sounds great.  I would recommend this be on your short list.

TJHUB

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm »
The Gustard U16 should be on your list.

That said, I like Schiit Eitr as it sounds really good.  But I would like to try the Gustard U16 or the Singxer SU6.

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:51 pm »
ALLO digione signature is great

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm »
Mike,

I have been using the Mutec MC-3+ USB for over a year now. It reclocks, converts from USB to SPDIF, and will resample DSD streams to 176 kHz PCM. It works up to 192 kHz. It has been quite favorably reviewed by pro audio magazines and online audiophile sites.

I thought it improved the imaging in my system, compared to a direct USB connection. The Mutec also has been reliable.  I can't comment on the resampling function, which I haven't tried.

It is about $1200 new; I found a used one for about $725.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2019, 09:45 pm by Mike in NC »

NHSkier

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2019, 01:48 am »
I used a Bryston BUC-1 between my desktop and a Schiit Modi. It greatly improved the depth and weight of notes in good recordings. The BUC-1's construction was awesome too- very heavy with stout connections. I kind of regret selling it now, but my consumer grade desktop was such a terrible source, it didn't make sense to keep the BUC once I moved to a Salk Streamplayer II.
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2019, 10:34 am by NHSkier »

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2019, 02:30 am »
I use the Schiit Eitr in between my laptop and Rega DAC. Definite improvement over USB. My DAC’s USB input has been criticized and it doesn’t do high res. The Eitr improved the sound in every way without any trade offs. It wasn’t a jaw dropping change like hifi rags like to write about, but definitely noteworthy.

Funny thing is, I don’t see many USB-Coax converter A/B comparisons done. I have no idea if there’s big differences between them or if people are buying something with a budget (high or low) in mind and more or less calling it a day.

Everyone here (including me) talked about what they own, not what they auditioned and how they chose.  I’ll be honest, Schiit has gotten great reviews overall, the Eitr has gotten great reviews, it wasn’t Amazon Basics cheap and was worth trying out for me due to the return policy and the $179 price. Is it better than a $20 one? No clue. Is a $1k one better? No clue. It looks pretty, it’s made in the USA, and it sounds better than my DAC’s USB. So I’m calling it a day.

MarkR7

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2019, 03:36 am »
+1 on the Gustard U16 recommendation! I have been using one for the last month or so, and it makes my digital sound glorious.

In second place, a Matrix X-SPDIF2 sounds great too, but you need to power it via an UpTone Audio LPS1.2 linear power supply.

Either solution (I use the AES/EBU output) blew the doors off of just having my MacBook Pro connected to my Metrum Onyx DAC directly via USB. It’s not even close!

mresseguie

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2019, 08:55 am »
A big thumbs up to everyone who responded.  :thumb:

I see a couple suggested converters that I hadn't known about. I'll add them to my growing list to research. Between asking here, in email with other audiophiles, and on other audiophile forums. I've found what Stu Pitt mentioned. Almost everyone who has a converter likes theirs, but that's the only converter they've tried. This isn't a criticism; it's an anecdotal observation. Furthermore, just about every manufacturer I've exchanged emails with has declared their converter to be the best product out there. This, of course, wasn't a surprise.  :wink:

I do not understand the technology involved in taking a USB signal and converting it into a SPDiF signal. I don't know how easy or complex an operation it is. Before I began this quest, I had naively assumed the conversion was as simple as adding an adapter onto the end of a USB cord and tossing in a resistor or two.  :oops: Well, it seems it's not so simple. One thing that seems to keep coming up is the importance of having a quiet power source. I've never seen the inside of any of the converters, so I really have no idea what's inside.

Stu,

I may well decide to order two or three converters to compare them - assuming there are decent return policies. If so, I will post my candid impressions. I don't have a bottomless wallet, so they wouldn't all the the top of the line, most expensive models. The Schiit Eitr would be one because of its low price (and my curiosity!). Do these converters need to burn in for 50 hours before they sound right??

My new DAC ought to be finished by the end of this month or the first week in March. It won't be delivered until a couple days after I return from Taiwan. With luck, I will persuade Slawa to burn it in for that week or so in order that I may avoid that chore.

Michael

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2019, 11:45 am »

I see a couple suggested converters that I hadn't known about. I'll add them to my growing list to research. Between asking here, in email with other audiophiles, and on other audiophile forums. I've found what Stu Pitt mentioned. Almost everyone who has a converter likes theirs, but that's the only converter they've tried. This isn't a criticism; it's an anecdotal observation. Furthermore, just about every manufacturer I've exchanged emails with has declared their converter to be the best product out there. This, of course, wasn't a surprise.  :wink:

I do not understand the technology involved in taking a USB signal and converting it into a SPDiF signal. I don't know how easy or complex an operation it is. Before I began this quest, I had naively assumed the conversion was as simple as adding an adapter onto the end of a USB cord and tossing in a resistor or two.  :oops: Well, it seems it's not so simple. One thing that seems to keep coming up is the importance of having a quiet power source. I've never seen the inside of any of the converters, so I really have no idea what's inside.

Stu,

I may well decide to order two or three converters to compare them - assuming there are decent return policies. If so, I will post my candid impressions. I don't have a bottomless wallet, so they wouldn't all the the top of the line, most expensive models. The Schiit Eitr would be one because of its low price (and my curiosity!). Do these converters need to burn in for 50 hours before they sound right??

My new DAC ought to be finished by the end of this month or the first week in March. It won't be delivered until a couple days after I return from Taiwan. With luck, I will persuade Slawa to burn it in for that week or so in order that I may avoid that chore.

Michael
People are going to disagree, but I don’t believe in electronics “burning in.” Moving parts such as speaker drivers and turntable cartridges, yes; but electronics, no. I do think it takes a while for the brain to sort out the subtleties of what a piece is doing though. Brand new capacitors may benefit from a few cycles of holding and releasing a charge like a new rechargeable battery does, but I find that a bit of a stretch.

My opinion isn’t popular. People will say they’ve heard dramatic differences at different points in time. All I say is trust your own ears and be your own judge.

jMelvin

« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2019, 12:14 pm »
Not sure if my experience will be of any help to you but I have 3 USB-SPDIF converters .. Schiit Eitr, Bel Canto mLink, and a SOtM 2-box affair. None of these were terribly expensive and honestly, they all sound good. As usual, synergy with the rest of your gear will be a deciding factor. For example, while the USB input on my MHDT Lab Pagoda sounds fine, I prefer its BNC input. The mLink is bus-powered and BNC terminated. A perfect fit. The signal chain:

microRendu (SGC 7V psu) > mLink > Pagoda

The mLink is getting a bit long in the tooth and I seriously questioned if it would be up to the task. Well, not only is it up to the task, but having it in the mix results in the best sound quality I’ve heard in my system thus far. Not to be overlooked in this equation is the quality of the USB stream coming into the converter. I think enough has been written about Sonore’s microRendu there’s little need to elaborate further. Suffice it to say its importance to my sonic bliss cannot be overstated.

If I were to start over and cost wasn’t a factor I would be looking at the Berkeley converter. Many still consider it to be the best and I’d love to hear one in my system. BTW, I still use the Eitr in my headphone system (Schiit stack) and the SOtM has been relegated to storage.

Best of luck.

TJHUB

« Reply #16 on: 6 Feb 2019, 02:36 pm »
On the subject of liking what we own...

It’s very difficult to expect any one piece of audio gear to work for everyone.  As stated above, system synergy is a major factor.  I’ve had the Singxer F1 for a bit, and didn’t like it because it sounded bloated in the midbass and lacked the transparency I desired.  I then moved to a DXIO Pro3z.  It too had the XMOS USB chip like the Singxer F1, but the Pro3z uses the XMOS 216 chip vs. the 208.  The Pro3z was also more easily externally powered with its DC input jack.  The Pro3z powered by the LPS as the F1, but at 5.8v was far superior in every way.  I ran the Pro3z for years...until it died one day.  Until this point, the XMOS based SPDIF converters won me over.

When the Pro3z died, I was quickly reminded why buying Chinese (no offense meant) audio gear has a big drawback.  You almost can’t get anything repaired or even easily replaced under warranty.  So I decided that for myself, I will no longer purchase any audio gear not serviced in the USA.  With this in mind, I decided to try the Schiit Eitr.  I was lucky to find a used one for $110.

The Eitr was an interesting change from the Singxer’s I tried.  First, you can’t really upgrade the power supply.  It’s a 6v AC power supply, so no LPS is going to work.  It does require USB buss power, but it’s main power is the external supply.  What’s interesting about the Eitr is that it will go into standby if the USB buss power is off.  I like this because I don’t ever turn my LPS off, so the Pro3z was powered up 24/7 posssibly contributing to its premature death.  I don’t know.

In comparison, the Eitr’s presentation was rather different from the Pro3z.  The Pro3z sounded amazing in that it was very smooth and analog sounding.  It was very clean sounding with great transparency.  The sense of depth and dimension was extremely good.  I could only fault it in saying that I always felt the treble was on the side of slightly too reserved.  The midrange and bass was exceptional with rich tone and fantastic definition.  I really loved the sound.

The Eitr upon first listen seemed to lack dynamics, and sounded reserved overall.  But there was something still really good about it.  Here’s what’s weird.  I have tried quite a few USB cables over the years, and my favorite for the money was always a Paul Pang Red.  I’m not sure why I experiment so much, but I’m glad I do sometimes.  For whatever reason, I decided to try a USB from the past that I just kept because it was only $20; a Pangea copper .5m.  I never liked this cable, and I should have returned it when I could have.  I was absolutely shocked at what I heard.  The Eitr was now sounding amazing; seriously AMAZING.  Dynamics surpassed the Pro3z, and the clarity and transparency was every bit as good.  The sense of depth and dimension might not be quite as good, but it’s still really good and I wouldn’t complain.  Still, the overall presentation is still different than I had with the Pro3z.  Now I’d say the treble is fantastic; very metallic, defined, delicate, and extended.  It’s never bright or in your face.  The midrange is as good if not better than the Pro3z in that vocals like Cassandra Wilson have this amazing tone and texture that is so realistic sounding.  The bass is very good, but I don’t beleive it’s as nicely defined and textured as the Pro3z was.  It’s still just fine, and many times I wouldn’t complain about anything I hear, but I have heard better.  The Eitr also isn’t as smooth sounding, but there is not really anything grainy either.  It’s again that I’ve heard something “better,” but I’m still very happy with the Eitr.

I personally think it’s not going to be easy to best the Eitr in my system.  I’m looking forward to Schiit’s new ground up designed for audio USB implementation that’s coming this year.  I will try that once it gets here.  I would like to try the Singxer U6 or the Gustard U16, but only if I could easily return them or borrow them.

To me, the Eitr is a fantastic deal for the money.  It’s supported in the USA.  Plus it loves my cheapest USB cable.  Who wouldn’t love that?

wushuliu

« Reply #17 on: 6 Feb 2019, 02:49 pm »

Some of us have compared multiple units, just not all the ones you have on your list. There are lengthy comparison threads out there if you search. For instance the Mutec mentioned has gotten great feedback from multiple users and reviews, the Singxer F1 remains extremely popular, and the Eitr has been divisive - some people lve it, others consider it weak compared to others. I mod my converyers and performance improvements always come back to power supply/noise and the coax output circuit (which even top brands overlook, theres an old thread on this in the Lab). Which is why I recced the Cuinas since the designer is single mindedly focused on some of these key aspects. But if you want to go with an all around well received unit, then go for the Mutec 3+.

mresseguie

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2019, 04:02 pm »
Some of us have compared multiple units, just not all the ones you have on your list. There are lengthy comparison threads out there if you search. For instance the Mutec mentioned has gotten great feedback from multiple users and reviews, the Singxer F1 remains extremely popular, and the Eitr has been divisive - some people lve it, others consider it weak compared to others. I mod my converyers and performance improvements always come back to power supply/noise and the coax output circuit (which even top brands overlook, theres an old thread on this in the Lab). Which is why I recced the Cuinas since the designer is single mindedly focused on some of these key aspects. But if you want to go with an all around well received unit, then go for the Mutec 3+.

The Ciunas is high on my list for just the reason you mention. In my mind, I have likened his converter to Vinnie Rossi's ultracapacitor gear.

BTW, I only 'discovered' ART's existence because you posted to that thread a week or so ago. I'd never read that thread prior to your post, so I explored the beginning few pages and clicked the link to Pat's webpage. Then, I sent him an email asking questions. His converter is very interesting. I understood precious little of the technical stuff, but I do believe he knows his shit.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2019, 04:30 pm »