BIT15 and Wall Plug

Gumby

BIT15 and Wall Plug
« on: 8 Mar 2019, 03:58 pm »
If I buy a Bryston BIT15 or 20, is there any advantage to also upgrading the wall plug? 

I currently plug a B60 directly into the wall using an Audioquest power cable.  Should I use that cable to plug in the BIT15 and a basic stock cord from the B60 to the BIT15?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BIT15 and Wall Plug
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2019, 04:57 pm »
If I buy a Bryston BIT15 or 20, is there any advantage to also upgrading the wall plug? 

I currently plug a B60 directly into the wall using an Audioquest power cable.  Should I use that cable to plug in the BIT15 and a basic stock cord from the B60 to the BIT15?

Hi

The BIT is an ISOLATION transformer so there is a primary and a secondary in the transformer and your gear is working of the magnetic field between the two so you are totally isolated from the outside power grid or the wall plug and wiring feeding the BIT. 

james

TJ-Sully

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:10 pm »
hi gumby
i often wonder about this question too.

I use quality power cables to connect my electronics to my BIT20. 
But the cable connecting the BIT20 to the wall outlet is the stock 20a IEC cable from Bryston.

I have a 20amp dedicated circuit.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions for using a better quality cable to connect their BIT20 or BIT15 to the wall outlet?

I've read some folks suggest there is no point.....as perhaps what James may be indicating.
But some suggest otherwise......

Thoughts anyone..?  :scratch:

Sully.

jtinto

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:57 pm »
I've read many reviewers say that the best quality cable should go between the wall and the power conditioner.

I think that as long as that cable doesn't restrict flow i.e. 12awg for the BIT-20 it should be adequate.

Recently, after discussing this exact situation with Steve at Audio Sensibility, I decided to go with upgraded cables and plugs to supply my two BIT-15, equivalent to the cables supplying the amps from the BIT-15.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2019, 11:24 pm »
If there was an advantage to putting a $2000 cord before the BIT or a Torus
Then obvious they aren’t doing there job
Do cable makers make cables for a 40a or 60a BIT or Torus Nooooope
Or even higher amperageWhy is that :popcorn: :popcorn:

I’ll stick with the cables that came with them and just to say have had both Torus(s)
For along time and they are not going anywhere

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2019, 09:09 am »
I'm sticking with my stock unshielded 14AWG power cables (Torus 15) to match what's behind the wall (14 AWG unshielded). The only thing that's not stock is the power outlet. I replaced the stock one with a heavy duty Hubbell HBL5262 myself. The contact plates and surface area is much better. It's very much like the Hubbell medical plugs used in the Torus itself. Once you plug something in, it's not coming out easily. It won't be dangling in and out. It's worth it from a safety standpoint. I am not sure if there is any difference in impedance between common stock outlets and heavy duty outlets?

TJ-Sully

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2019, 12:16 pm »
I've read many reviewers say that the best quality cable should go between the wall and the power conditioner.

I think that as long as that cable doesn't restrict flow i.e. 12awg for the BIT-20 it should be adequate.

Recently, after discussing this exact situation with Steve at Audio Sensibility, I decided to go with upgraded cables and plugs to supply my two BIT-15, equivalent to the cables supplying the amps from the BIT-15.

cool. will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the switch.   keep us posted please!
cheers, T

stesu

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2019, 02:11 pm »
I have a pretty revealing system which allows me relatively easy to hear the difference sometimes when changing any of the component. My system consists of Bryston BIT20, 28B SST, BP25, BDA3, OPPO 203, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz SR6012 receiver for movie playing, Kimber 8TC, Bryston and Tributaries XLR ICs, and all Pangea PCs. I'm currently in the process of trying out and determining the right power cable for BIT20.

For quite a long time I thought that it would not make any difference to change the PC for BIT20 since it's an Isolation transformer. So for quite a long time I just used the stock PC for it but only changed the wall outlet to a PS Audio outlet. And I was quite happy with the sound of my system. At one point late last year out of curiosity I used Shunyata Venom HC on my receiver with a Pangea 15A to 20A IEC adapter to replace the BIT 20 stock PC. I immediately noticed a tighter and deeper bass with the new cable. But I didn't like the mid and high frequency range sound so I went back to the stock PC.

At the end of last year when Morrow cable was on sale I bought their MAP4 Grand Reference power cable to try out on BIT20. Now the cable has been broken in for more than 50 days and it totally changed the sound of my system. The sound becomes more clean and clear with extended highs and sweet mid range with tighter bass and wider sound stage. I'm enjoying my system sound more than before. Now I'm still debating if I want to keep this cable and done for it or upgrade to Morrow's Elite Grand Reference PC, or return the cable (still within the 60-day free trial period) and use the Cable Company to try more cables.

So from my experience and in my system changing the power cable for BIT20 did make a noticeable difference.

adol290

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2019, 03:48 pm »

I have also read reviews saying that the best quality cable should go between the wall and the power conditioner.

My friend has a BIT 20 on his system. His system has some very good high end components and is very revealing.

SO we went to our local audio shop and borrowed a $2000 power cable, to try on the BIT 20, against the stock cord.

Our results...  Yes the sound did definitely change.

Was it better, in our minds yes.

Was it worth $2000. Depends on the individuals wants and needs and pocket book.

There is no guarantee that a cable will sound good on your system. What sounds good in one system may sound
  bad in another. And for that money, it would be best to borrow one first.

MttBsh

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2019, 04:21 pm »
I'm wondering about the original question "is there any advantage to also upgrading the wall plug?"
I'm about to undergo a major remodel wherein one of the walls being torn out is the one my stereo is plugged into. Currently, my Fo Felix power conditioner is plugged into the wall via a Zenwave power cable with Furutech NCF plugs, and each of my audio components is connected to my power conditioner using these same power cables.
Given that I am using an excellent quality cable from my wall to my power conditioner, would you think there would be an advantage to using a high end outlet in my wall, such as Furutech GTX NCF Receptacle? Or would this be overkill? I even understand that the outlet cover can make a difference. If I was going to use one of these receptacles, now would be the time to get one as an electrician will be involved in the remodel. Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2019, 04:29 pm »
would be an advantage to using a high end outlet in my wall, such as Furutech GTX NCF Receptacle? Or would this be overkill? ...if I was going to use one of these receptacles, now would be the time to get one as an electrician will be involved in the remodel. Thanks for any thoughts you have!
Yes you might notice the improvement using a Furutech duplex. I use Furman REF 20 power conditioner, and the improvement adding a Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium duplex at the wall (and other places) made a good plus upgrade in the quality of the sound.
If you buy the Rhodium get it 'cooked' before installing. The Rhodium takes a long time to break in. and it is worth the money to have it pre cooked.
I actually went 'all in' in Furutech duplex, adding 17 of them to the system, including inside the Furman RF20 and my PS Audio P-600 conditioners. It gave me a major upgrade sonically.

TJ-Sully

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2019, 08:50 pm »
I have a pretty revealing system which allows me relatively easy to hear the difference sometimes when changing any of the component. My system consists of Bryston BIT20, 28B SST, BP25, BDA3, OPPO 203, Cambridge CD transport, Marantz SR6012 receiver for movie playing, Kimber 8TC, Bryston and Tributaries XLR ICs, and all Pangea PCs. I'm currently in the process of trying out and determining the right power cable for BIT20.

For quite a long time I thought that it would not make any difference to change the PC for BIT20 since it's an Isolation transformer. So for quite a long time I just used the stock PC for it but only changed the wall outlet to a PS Audio outlet. And I was quite happy with the sound of my system. At one point late last year out of curiosity I used Shunyata Venom HC on my receiver with a Pangea 15A to 20A IEC adapter to replace the BIT 20 stock PC. I immediately noticed a tighter and deeper bass with the new cable. But I didn't like the mid and high frequency range sound so I went back to the stock PC.

At the end of last year when Morrow cable was on sale I bought their MAP4 Grand Reference power cable to try out on BIT20. Now the cable has been broken in for more than 50 days and it totally changed the sound of my system. The sound becomes more clean and clear with extended highs and sweet mid range with tighter bass and wider sound stage. I'm enjoying my system sound more than before. Now I'm still debating if I want to keep this cable and done for it or upgrade to Morrow's Elite Grand Reference PC, or return the cable (still within the 60-day free trial period) and use the Cable Company to try more cables.

So from my experience and in my system changing the power cable for BIT20 did make a noticeable difference.

stesu,  excellent feedback - thank you!!

my system is also revealing, in my mind, with BIT20, 4B3, BDP1, PS Audio Direct Stream DAC, Aesthetix Calypso tube preamp, and Maggies. 

based on your experience, i think i'll proceed with upgrading my stock 20amp IEC cable connecting my BIT20 to the wall outlet. I also have a PS Audio wall receptacle thingy.

I've been oooogling the AudioQuest Tornado cable......but will check out the Morrow ones too.
Being in Canada, we don't qualify for the Cable Co's 60-day trial period. what an awesome service.

thanks again
Sully

MttBsh

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2019, 08:51 pm »
Yes you might notice the improvement using a Furutech duplex. I use Furman REF 20 power conditioner, and the improvement adding a Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium duplex at the wall (and other places) made a good plus upgrade in the quality of the sound.
If you buy the Rhodium get it 'cooked' before installing. The Rhodium takes a long time to break in. and it is worth the money to have it pre cooked.
I actually went 'all in' in Furutech duplex, adding 17 of them to the system, including inside the Furman RF20 and my PS Audio P-600 conditioners. It gave me a major upgrade sonically.

Thanks Elizabeth. I too have heard that the Rhodium takes a long time to burn in and can sound really poor during the process, so if I get one I will definitely have it precooked. That's pretty cool (but expensive!) that you have them in your conditioners as well as your wall. Thanks again for your reply 

TJ-Sully

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2019, 10:04 pm »

done. just purchased a Voodoo Black Magic 20 IEC cable for my BIT20! should arrive in 5-7 days. will post my observations in a few weeks!   :thumb:

stesu

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2019, 10:42 pm »
Hi Sully, you’re very welcome! Glad if I can provide any useful info here.

Congrats on your new cable! Looking forward to hearing your findings soon.

Cheers,
Steven