Wild Burro News

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Wild Burro News
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2018, 09:34 pm »
Congratulations Michael, Alnico always worth to try and at this price it was an investment.

For reference made a read here:
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith49cz1064.html
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2018, 02:13 am by FullRangeMan »

ejfud

« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2018, 12:28 am »
Specs

Re = 6.100
Fs = 48.8Hz
Sd = 22.966
BL = 5.573TM
Qms = 3.459
Qes = 0.716
Qts = 0.65 (Klippel measurement)
SPL0 = 91.8dB
Vas = 60.9l
Mms = 11.86g

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2018, 12:34 am »
Good news, seems it will need a 10W tube amp.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2018, 02:42 am »
They must have been shipped via rocket as they arrived this afternoon! Pictures soon.

ejfud

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2018, 02:50 am »
Here is my pair mounted in as close to OB as I’ll ever get.

Bemopti123

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2018, 02:56 am »
Here is my pair mounted in as close to OB as I’ll ever get.

Sonic comparison notes of these vs other drivers you had.  These cabs you have are OB in the back right?

ejfud

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2018, 03:16 am »
These cabinets have thin walls and an open back. The original Betsy's are great in these cabinets, the alnico need some more break in, but sound very promising.

ejfud

« Reply #27 on: 25 Nov 2018, 11:48 pm »
Spent most of the last two days listening and these are sounding very nice. I’ll need to drop the original Betsy’s back in for a comparison next weekend.

Mresseguie, have you had a chance to listen yet?

mresseguie

« Reply #28 on: 26 Nov 2018, 12:09 am »
I'm afraid not. I don't have baffles yet, and I'm about to "disappear" into another Asian adventure.

I jumped at the opportunity to buy a pair so that I can set them up soon after I return.

opa1

• ALEPH J, ALPAIR 10P CGR, Lii Audio F-15 OB's.
« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2019, 10:49 pm »
Any updates on the Drivers?

mresseguie

« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:14 pm »
My Caintuck Betsy baffles shipped today and are slated to arrive Friday afternoon. Once they arrive, I'll attach my WB Alnico drivers; plug them into my home office system, and give them a little juice. I'll give them an initial listen on Saturday, but I will burn them in for a hundred or more hours before any serious impressions.  :popcorn:

I'm really looking forward to this.

Michael

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2019, 10:46 pm »
My Caintuck Betsy baffles shipped today and are slated to arrive Friday afternoon. Once they arrive, I'll attach my WB Alnico drivers; plug them into my home office system, and give them a little juice. I'll give them an initial listen on Saturday, but I will burn them in for a hundred or more hours before any serious impressions.  :popcorn:

I'm really looking forward to this.

Michael

Very interested in your impressions. Another speaker I would love to hear are the Cube full rangers that 6moons rave about.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2019, 11:49 am »
Curious, how much for a pair of the AlNiCo Betsys?  I knew Randy from years ago with Decware amps (before Betsy).  Also knew Darryl Hawthorne and still chat with his original crossover mentor.  So have heard several versions of the Hawthornes. 

Glanced at the Cube review (can't stand all the excess verbiage in 6moons reviews) - yuck!  Expensive, look amateurish (whizzer cones are unevenly shaped), and 3 whizzer cones!  (I consider whizzers to be mechanical crossovers.)

BTW I have a nice pair of extended range driver speakers just sitting around:  Bob Brines FTA-2000 (he's retired now and changed names of the speakers a couple of times):  Fostex F200A AlNiCo 8" drivers (no stinking whizzers), rated 30-20,000 Hz (not a misprint), 8 ohms, 89 dB/w/m, with EnABL applied by Bud Purvine (inventor) himself, $575 each when last available; cabinets are floor standing transmission lines.

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:41 pm »
More cube audio reviews

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/speakers/cube-audio-magus/

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/cube_bliss_e.html

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/products

Rethm speakers uses whizzers. Even Rollo Audio here on ac sells them. These are very nice sounding speakers.  Whizzers are not crossovers. Where do you get your info?

OzarkTom

« Reply #34 on: 26 Mar 2019, 02:34 pm »
There is a company that is considering on making an active Cube speaker. We will wait and see.

:popcorn:

mresseguie

« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2019, 12:52 am »
Curious, how much for a pair of the AlNiCo Betsys?  I knew Randy from years ago with Decware amps (before Betsy).  Also knew Darryl Hawthorne and still chat with his original crossover mentor.  So have heard several versions of the Hawthornes. 

Glanced at the Cube review (can't stand all the excess verbiage in 6moons reviews) - yuck!  Expensive, look amateurish (whizzer cones are unevenly shaped), and 3 whizzer cones!  (I consider whizzers to be mechanical crossovers.)

BTW I have a nice pair of extended range driver speakers just sitting around:  Bob Brines FTA-2000 (he's retired now and changed names of the speakers a couple of times):  Fostex F200A AlNiCo 8" drivers (no stinking whizzers), rated 30-20,000 Hz (not a misprint), 8 ohms, 89 dB/w/m, with EnABL applied by Bud Purvine (inventor) himself, $575 each when last available; cabinets are floor standing transmission lines.

Hi, Jeff.

I'm waiting for my Betsy baffles to arrive (delayed by severe weather). My drivers are the Wild Burro Alnicos. I bought them back in November just days before I disappeared into Asia. Once the baffles clear the bad weather, I'll finally get a taste for how these speakers sound. I think I got the 8" WB for .....gotta check...Yup...$330/pr. I could not pass up this opportunity.

In mere days, I will know how they sound.

JLM

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2019, 12:44 pm »
There is a company that is considering on making an active Cube speaker. We will wait and see.

:popcorn:

Joke?  Any single driver speaker is 'active' by default.

OzarkTom

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2019, 06:05 pm »
Joke?  Any single driver speaker is 'active' by default.

As before, where do you get your info?

JLM

« Reply #38 on: 31 Mar 2019, 11:35 am »
By definition:  one channel of amplification connected directly to one driver.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 31 Mar 2019, 12:36 pm »
Maybe this company will put a amp board fixed direct in the speaker enclosure back to huge vibrations and resonances.