2013 Capitol Audio Fest

r.wasserstrom

Re: 2013 Capitol Audio Fest
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2013, 09:26 pm »
I plan to be there Friday, but can't stay for dinner.  Lunch is a possibility, though.  I'll be there Saturday, as well; not yet sure about dinner.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 19 Jul 2013, 09:48 pm »
I'll be there pretty much bell to bell. I took some of the steam out of my own plans by pulling the trigger on a set of Sennheiser 650s. I had planned to spend a good part of Friday in the Woo audio room while other exhibitors got their rooms 'tweaked' (no such problems with cans, right?) but as a result of the 650 buy I will be making the rounds more; missed quite a few rooms last year. Especially interested in hearing the electrostatics: Sanders, Quad, Janszen; Beyer T1 and Audeze LCD3 headphones; Joseph Audio (hope VPI, sharing that room, tones down the "carney barker" presentation style this time), Jolida, and all the other stuff too.

T minus one week!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2013, 04:51 am »
Ditto.

Also interested in the electrostatic speakers + class d stuff (wyred4sound etc).

If you haven't heard the incredible (and incredibly expensive) Raidho speakers, make sure to stop by the command performance av room : to me along with the Salk / AVA / philharmonic & Tidal / voice that is, the most consistently good sounding rooms each year. The Raidhos are to me some of the best speakers I've ever heard.

DTB300

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:04 pm »
Have friends coming into town for this.   Should be there Friday for the afternoon.   Saturday will be there all day.   Sunday probably be there all day again.

I do agree on The Voice That Is room always sounding good and the room hosts are very nice too.

Wonder if we have to sit on that little stool again in the Mapleshade room  :lol:

Cannot remember the names of the other room I always enjoy....  Speakers run by Atmosphere Amps, speakers which remind me of the old Klipsch Corner Horns, MBL (either great or so, so)....

Hope there is more music to buy than previous years....

Phil A

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2013, 01:52 pm »

Wonder if we have to sit on that little stool again in the Mapleshade room  :lol:

The stool is there so that you are elevated off the ground and it sounds better :green:

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2013, 02:09 pm »
Have friends coming into town for this.   Should be there Friday for the afternoon.   Saturday will be there all day.   Sunday probably be there all day again.

Cannot remember the names of the other room I always enjoy....  Speakers run by Atmosphere Amps, speakers which remind me of the old Klipsch Corner Horns, MBL (either great or so, so)....

Classic Audio Loudspeakers was where I saw the Atma-Sphere amps last year, driving their horn speakers.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2013, 06:07 pm »
Classic Audio Loudspeakers was where I saw the Atma-Sphere amps last year, driving their horn speakers.

Also near the top of the list for me for good rooms.  There's to me always a kind of dark Plutonian vibe to the guy & room, with all the vintage gear along w/ lab grade power conditioners, and him with his back to you as he tinkers on the turntable and drives those monster speakers to floor blasting levels.  When he let's lose with that mofo you can hear it all the way back to the elevators.  And because he plays some good tunes, you dig it.  None of this micro watt SET crap drizzling Diana Krall or fuzzy Satchmo coming out of gong sized horns : culprits of which shall remain nameless.......

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2013, 09:02 pm »
Say what you will about Mapleshade, but Pierre is an empiricist, not a poseur.  I have to admire a guy who listens and offers products that sound good to him after his experiments.  (Disclosure--Pierre is a friend of mine, but I have no reluctance to call "BS" if it is warranted.)   

dB Cooper

« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2013, 09:20 pm »
Also near the top of the list for me for good rooms.  There's to me always a kind of dark Plutonian vibe to the guy & room, with all the vintage gear along w/ lab grade power conditioners, and him with his back to you as he tinkers on the turntable and drives those monster speakers to floor blasting levels.  When he let's lose with that mofo you can hear it all the way back to the elevators.  And because he plays some good tunes, you dig it.  None of this micro watt SET crap drizzling Diana Krall or fuzzy Satchmo coming out of gong sized horns : culprits of which shall remain nameless.......
Well, last year he had his smaller speakers sitting directly in front of the ones he was demo'ing, which is... Uhh... suboptimal, but he still had great sound, even in a slightly undersized room.

DTB300

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm »
Say what you will about Mapleshade, but Pierre is an empiricist, not a poseur.  I have to admire a guy who listens and offers products that sound good to him after his experiments.  (Disclosure--Pierre is a friend of mine, but I have no reluctance to call "BS" if it is warranted.)
I like Pierre too and even bought some of his music.   Sound in the room was good, even standing up :)

But there was no way I could have sat down in that stool with my bad hip/back...and then get back up again to be able to hear the OPTIMAL sound for those speakers. 

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:43 pm »
I feel your pain...literally.  The stool was a bit much (or too little) for me. I agree about Mapleshade music.   I've got a bunch of his music and it's all well recorded.  I especially like his reggae CD by Midnight.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:17 am »
Mapleshade's CDs are great.  The set-up of the room was just not well thought out as well as the looks.  It looked really DIY like it was thrown together last minute.  I did sit down but was not impressed by what I heard.  Did not think it was bad, it is just I was expecting something better given the quality of the source.

dB Cooper

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jul 2013, 02:09 am »
Wherever this room was I missed it- anybody got pics of the room or can describe "the stool" setup? I think I did see them on the 2013 list.

Oh wait- weren't they sharing the Gallo room? With the little satellites on the floor?
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2013, 03:23 am by dB Cooper »

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jul 2013, 03:25 am »
Here's the room (yes it was Gallo:

Phil A

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2013, 03:26 am »
My gallery has an album entitled the 2012 Capital Audiofest.  I will do the same for this one.

Part-Time Audiophile

• Bright. Shiny. Mine?
    • Part-Time Audiophile
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2013, 01:28 pm »
My gallery has an album entitled the 2012 Capital Audiofest.  I will do the same for this one.

Does that mean you'll have two with the title "2012 Capital Audiofest"?

Sorry, I can't seem to help myself.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2013, 03:55 pm »
Does that mean you'll have two with the title "2012 Capital Audiofest"?

Sorry, I can't seem to help myself.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sure - no problem - just let me know when you see the 2nd album (and if you do see, please make an MD appt. or stop drinking :lol:)

Phil A

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2013, 03:58 pm »
Actually set-up the 2013 Capital Audiofest Album many months back but of course have no pictures in it at the moment.  I'll try to take better pictures this year.

this_is_vv

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul 2013, 04:56 pm »
Is anyone demoing DSD based music in this show?

V

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:20 pm »
Is anyone demoing DSD based music in this show?

V

I'm sure John Gatski of Everything Audio Network will have his Benchmark DSD capable DAC there.  During this past week I put some DSD, other hi-rez and regular CD quality files on a thumb drive to take with me (did one CD too of just CD quality stuff).  There tentatively (there's a thread about it already) will be a get together at my place (last concensus was Sept 21 or Sept 28) where I have the Meitner DAC and lots of DSD files if there is not enough for anyone to sample at the Capital Audiofest.