Look what Pete just got!

Big Red Machine

Look what Pete just got!
« on: 7 Apr 2020, 02:59 pm »
I managed to wrench these out of Mike's hands after almost 2 years of me nagging him to sell them and go through the hassle of shipping! :whip: :shake: :deadhorse:

Mike's original birth certificate when Teresa and John worked there:

Mike said the binding posts were loose on both speakers. So I tried to pull out the plates but they were in too tight. I pulled the woofers and pushed out the plates and then tightened the binding posts.

Remember when pulling a driver to not pry on the driver with a screwdriver as that will damage the baffles. Grab an oversized screw and hand tighten a half a turn to grab the metal ring, then pull like hell and it will pop right out.

Amazing bass out of those tiny woofers. But dang they are almost as inefficient as I remember the HT3's. Thank goodness I have plenty of power available.

Sound sweet. Going into my makeshift HT set-up now that my kitchen project is finished (finally).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Look what Pete just got!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:03 pm »
Congrats Pete  :thumb:  Beautiful veneer, as usual with Jim's work.  8)

JD

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:16 pm »
My first Salk's were bubinga HT3's. Had to have these.

I need to "polish" them. I'll have to ask Jim what to use; tung oil?

Jeff in the D

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2020, 04:33 pm »
Doesn’t Jim recommend a product from Meguiars? But I can’t recall the product name. Suffering from CRS!
Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2020, 04:49 pm »
Ok, so if I’m remembering correctly , Meguiars Quick Detailer is the product.
Jeff

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2020, 06:33 pm »
It all depends on what is meant by "polishing."  To clean up the finish, Meguiars is a great product.  If, however, polishing means hand-rubbing to high gloss, that is an entirely different matter.  For that you need to sand at 800, 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit to flatten the surface and then polish (wheel out or hand polish) with scratch remover and a couple of grades of rubbing compound.  If, in the process, you sand through the lacquer, you have to re-shoot the finish.

- Jim

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2020, 06:50 pm »
Ok, so if I’m remembering correctly , Meguiars Quick Detailer is the product.
Jeff

That, I have compliments of Jim. I was wondering if the manufacturing of these was something beyond the coating I know of. These are a little matte-finish like. I'll try the Mequiars on the bottoms and see what it does.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2020, 07:02 pm »
You can try rubbing compound on them if you want to hand rub without sanding the surface flat.  It will take some elbow grease and time, but it can be done.

- Jim

DEP14

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2020, 08:30 pm »
NICE buy!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2020, 10:02 pm »
You can try rubbing compound on them if you want to hand rub without sanding the surface flat.  It will take some elbow grease and time, but it can be done.

- Jim

Sounds like fun. Maybe next year. I', kinda busy and certainly not bored! Thanks brother! Hope to see you at an audio show this year :wave:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:19 am »
That's always been one of my favorite speakers, along with the original version with the Hiquphon 0W1 tweet (the Ellis"1801"). 

mritschdorff

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2020, 12:05 pm »
I'm curious...did you sell your Wilsons? Hope your are well. Marty

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:48 pm »
I'm curious...did you sell your Wilsons? Hope your are well. Marty

No.