Speaker Cable Tweek

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Speaker Cable Tweek
« on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:46 am »
I'm not necessarily promoting this tweak. These were given to me by an audiophile in Taiwan who's been developing/tweaking MTM speakers to sell domestically (you'll never see them in the US). You hang one on the negative cables very close to the speaker terminal. Assuming I actually heard it, the difference is very subtle. I wouldn't buy these, but since they were given to me.....I have them.

Has anyone seen something similar? Have you tried them? Any changes? What's inside the wood blocks?

Michael

« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2022, 04:18 pm by mresseguie »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Speaker Cable Tweek
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2022, 09:37 am »
Something just like this was all the rage a few years ago.  Supposedly you hang a looped inductor, a coil attached at both ends, to the negative terminal of you speakers and some said the output of your app as well, and it takes all the hash out of your signal.  There were about a zillion diy recipes and a few manufacturers that said you're doing it all wrong, only my product is the real deal.  I made some and maybe noticed a difference, maybe not, it did no harm anyway.

jseymour

ric

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2022, 02:26 pm »
hopefully it's something more effective than the ground enhancer.
I have experimented with N52 magnets, first in the signal path via power cord, speaker wire and IC's, but then after hearing about (Cad audio?) ground  devices I tried them not in the signal path.
If you take a cheap R/L rca connector (interconnect) and cut off one end you end up with four wires at one end (two ground/neutral, two hot). Attach one N52 magnet to EACH wire via a small screw and nut and protect the magnets with insulation or pvc plastic, whatever works.
  Plug the R/L IC into an unused input on your amp, preamp, or dac.
Very effective tweak.

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:06 pm »
Hi, Mike!

"... the difference is very subtle."

Is it worthwhile looking for that type of difference? Not to me these days. Maybe I'm just no longer that type of audiophile. But there are so many other things that can cause subtle differences, when I try it, it seems an exercise in chasing my tail. Other things like
  • My mood, generally
  • The time of day (I'm often at my best at 1:00 am)
  • My intake of alcohol, coffee, ...
  • Am I dyspeptic (literally)?
  • Is the refrigerator humming subliminally on the floor above (mostly blocked by the audio room's construction)?
  • Is/was the sun shining today?
  • Has the sun ever shined in the last two weeks?
  • What is the humidity? It affects the sound (literally).
  • Is the AC 110v, 115v, 177v, or 120v?
  • Am I enjoying the particular music I've chosen?
So nowadays, I just hope for differences that are immediately apparent and musically significant. Have I become a wet blanket? Maybe, but since no one listens to me anyway, it probably doesn't matter!  :)  And it helps my contentment.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2022, 07:46 pm by Mike-48 »

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:53 pm »
I think these are EVS enhancers, not sure got them years ago. Didn't notice anything at the time. Anyone want to play with them PM your address  and I'll send then off.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2022, 05:19 pm »
Hey guys, please come back to the real world, we miss you.

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2022, 05:41 pm »
Something just like this was all the rage a few years ago.  Supposedly you hang a looped inductor, a coil attached at both ends, to the negative terminal of you speakers and some said the output of your app as well, and it takes all the hash out of your signal.  There were about a zillion diy recipes and a few manufacturers that said you're doing it all wrong, only my product is the real deal.  I made some and maybe noticed a difference, maybe not, it did no harm anyway.

I remember reading posts about this tweak. I never tried it until I was given the above pair. They've sat in a cabinet for 1.5 yrs. Me thinks it's high time for a Karma offering!

Hi, Mike!

"... the difference is very subtle."

Is it worthwhile looking for that type of difference? No to me, these days. Maybe I'm just no longer that type of audiophile. But there are so many other things that can cause subtle differences, when I try it, it seems an exercise in chasing my tail. Other things like
  • My mood, generally
  • The time of day (I'm often at my best at 1:00 am)
  • My intake of alcohol, coffee, ...
  • Am I dyspeptic (literally)?
  • Is the refrigerator humming subliminally on the floor above (mostly blocked by the audio room's construction)?
  • Is/was the sun shining today?
  • Has the sun ever shined in the last two weeks?
  • What is the humidity? It affects the sound (literally).
  • Is the AC 110v, 115v, 177v, or 120v?
  • Am I enjoying the particular music I've chosen?
So nowadays, I just hope for differences that are immediately apparent and musically significant. Have I become a wet blanket? Maybe, but since no one listens to me anyway, it probably doesn't matter!  :)  And it helps my contentment.

Howdy, Mike.

I like your list and I must say I agree with you.

Totally unrelated to this topic: Every time I see the photo under your name, I imagine you're waving a crowbar like a drunken pirate.  :lol: It's that dark curved line on the smoke stack that looks like a crowbar if one uses one's imagination.

I think these are EVS enhancers, not sure got them years ago. Didn't notice anything at the time. Anyone want to play with them PM your address  and I'll send then off.

Karma time!

Hey guys, please come back to the real world, we miss you.

:lol:  :rotflmao:

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_Ground_Enhancers.html

My mouth :drool: when I see that suckling pig.   :D

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2022, 06:10 am »
Every time I see the photo under your name, I imagine you're waving a crowbar like a drunken pirate.  :lol: It's that dark curved line on the smoke stack that looks like a crowbar if one uses one's imagination.
Yes, that is me exactly! A 74-year old pirate waving a crowbar, threatening to destroy people's planar speakers and tube amps before I go to the Moon. (Photo taken at Cape Canaveral.)

You have an open invitation to come over for a listen if you're ever back in PDX.

mresseguie

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2022, 07:02 am »
 :lol: :rotflmao:

I accept your invitation!

My life is shattered!  :o All this time I thought the photo was of you standing on a US Navy ship waving to the photographer. It's not a smoke stack!  :duh: I wonder what other photos I've gotten completely wrong over the years?

Michael