Should I use this?

oskar

Should I use this?
« on: 21 Jul 2022, 05:35 pm »
Dug this old Panamax out of the closet. I'd forgotten about it.
I really just need a power bar so I'm wondering if this thing would throttle the sound of my system.
What advise do you all have?
Thanks.

decal

Re: Should I use this?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2022, 07:56 pm »
Try it and see? :dunno:

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2022, 09:01 pm »
It may depend on the power amp you have.  The manual for my Parasound amp (Classic 5250, 5ch 250wpc) states to plug it directly into the wall, not a power conditioner/strip/etc.

GeorgeAb

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm »
Difficult to say without opening it up and seeing what it is made of. That said, based on its size likely provides surge protection and power filtration. The power filtration usually consists of capacitor in parallel which shunts noise spike to ground. That in itself usally does not intefere with sound quality. Sometime it also has inductors in series that pass 60 Hz and block higher frequencies. They work well in theory, but to my ears I do not like as much as nothing at all. For reasonable priced strips, I like the Wiremold Legrand hospital grade outlet strips which I use on my headphone setup and they are fine. I use an older PS Audio regenerator for my 2 channel system, which I like. My advice would be to try it in and out of the system, sit with it in your system for some time before swapping and see what you think.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2022, 11:12 pm »
Difficult to say without opening it up and seeing what it is made of. That said, based on its size likely provides surge protection and power filtration. The power filtration usually consists of capacitor in parallel which shunts noise spike to ground. That in itself usally does not intefere with sound quality. Sometime it also has inductors in series that pass 60 Hz and block higher frequencies. They work well in theory, but to my ears I do not like as much as nothing at all. For reasonable priced strips, I like the Wiremold Legrand hospital grade outlet strips which I use on my headphone setup and they are fine. I use an older PS Audio regenerator for my 2 channel system, which I like. My advice would be to try it in and out of the system, sit with it in your system for some time before swapping and see what you think.

It might also use a MOV device for surge protection.  They are sacrificial devices, and after a certain number of surges they die and no longer provide protection.  You might want to do some research on the model to see how it is designed.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2022, 12:57 pm »
It might also use a MOV device for surge protection.  They are sacrificial devices, and after a certain number of surges they die and no longer provide protection.  You might want to do some research on the model to see how it is designed.
Four decades ago that was very true even if the number of surges before failure was huge.
But MOV's have come a long way since then.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2022, 10:12 pm »
Four decades ago that was very true even if the number of surges before failure was huge.
But MOV's have come a long way since then.

Interesting.  I have not heard that; I'll have to research again as it's been a long time.