Omega owners in the Bay Area?

subframe

Omega owners in the Bay Area?
« on: 25 Mar 2014, 04:52 pm »
Hi, I'm very interested in the world of high-efficiency single-driver speakers and tube amps, and in particular I'm interested in the Omega lineup.  But I'd really like to hear some before taking the single-driver + SET plunge. 

Does anyone here live in the San Francisco Bay Area, who would be willing to let me have a listen to your setup?

I'll bring the beer/wine/scotch  :green:

Thanks!

FireGuy

Re: Omega owners in the Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2014, 05:10 pm »
Free beer and wine (must pass on the scotch) and I do nothing but spin some discs?  Too bad I'm 3000 miles away.  I'll take that deal any day.

I got a pair of Super 5's (walnut veneer) from Louis in January.  Louis is terrific to work with.  He is responsive, professional and really cares about the product he vends.  After some initial break in these single-driver transducers are the real deal.  Their presentation (to me) is up front and personal.  No coloration detected.  Sound is linear as the Axioms they replaced.  Extremely balanced and cohesive.  Very impressed also with their high sensitivity.  For mid to small rooms I think they are pefect.  The RS5 driver can be dynamic when it needs to be (within their design).   They are not head-banging party goers for sure but if you're looking for refinement with reasonable listening volumes they do just fine.  Actually, the amount of SPL's they put out for a 4.5" driver is remakable.  Just my two cents.

subframe

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:43 pm »
Thanks Fireguy. 

This is my quandary:  everything I've read about Louis' speakers makes me think I'd love them!  But speakers are such a personal thing... I've learned that you really have to listen for yourself.  I've heard several speakers that people love that I thought sounded simply awful!  Of course they were 'high-tech' and 'hi-fi', which may have been the problem - I prefer my system to be musical over 'hi-fi'...

FireGuy

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:37 pm »
Thanks Fireguy. 

This is my quandary:  everything I've read about Louis' speakers makes me think I'd love them!  But speakers are such a personal thing... I've learned that you really have to listen for yourself.  I've heard several speakers that people love that I thought sounded simply awful!  Of course they were 'high-tech' and 'hi-fi', which may have been the problem - I prefer my system to be musical over 'hi-fi'...

subframe - I so understand your position.  The need to "kick the tires" makes that buying decision a little easier.  I'm sure there are eval parameters you can confirm with an audition but as we know your listening environment will not be the same and that could lead to some sonic differences.  Dealing with a distributer gives you that ability to make that evaluation but at a price.  Buying direct can save you that distribution channel cost but,  you can't do a test.  There's a balance.  We've seen in this forum before, Louis' speakers are underpriced and I totally agree with that statement.  These are best monitors I've ever owned.  Good luck and let us know on your decision.

beowulf

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:36 pm »
I know that Decware amps come with a 30 day satisfaction gaurantee as long as no special modificatinos are requested (such as custom colors and/or exotic woods).  That should put you at ease with trying one of their tube amps and/or other products. 

If you're interested in SETs I would recommend either the (a) 2 watt Super Zen, (b) 2 watt Zen Select, or (c) 6 watt SE34i.3 (aka Rachel).  If you need more power I would recommend their 25 watt Torii as even though it's a Push/Pull ~ it retains a lot of the SET flavor of even order harmonics by the way its designed.  I believe most amps in the Decware lineup are designed to mimick the positive aspects of SET amps.  For instance I have a Decware Taboo Mk II (6 watts) that is a SEP by design, but it retains a lot of the SET flavor in the midrange, but on top of that it has some serious balls in the bass department ... to me it's the best of both worlds.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »
Hello subframe,

I totally agree with FireGuy and beowulf.  Good advice.