SOLD: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC

tdangelo

SOLD: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC
« on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:31 pm »
very nice shape with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps(2) - stock tubes with maybe 250hrs. If you want to use this in balanced mode you would need 2 more Mundorf caps. It will still work in XLR mode but you will be mixing the sound of the Mundorf and stock Obbligato caps. The DAC is really unique as you can swap caps without soldering.  Retail is $1320 - asking $$$$$$$ + shipping - it's about 25 lbs. One thing to mention - I replaced the stock volume control which is used in preamp mode to control the volume. I used a $110 volume pot(TKD_64187 100K, 2CP-2511 Series, Stereo, Conductive, Plastic Volume Potentiometer, - recommended by Garry) and think I wired it backwards. The dac works fine - just don't switch to preamp mode unless you want to hear hum ;) It works perfectly otherwise and is an easy fix if you need it - I just never got around to it since I had a preamp. This is a fabulous sounding DAC that replaced my PS Audio Directstream. I now have an ethernet streamier so selling/sold all my USB stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CB8NqP4SNJUgzUtV6
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2018, 02:53 am by tdangelo »

TimWarrior

Re: SOLD: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:55 pm »
Tony,
   Thanks for the excellent deal on the DAC. I hooked it up to my Oppo 105 CD player and listened for a couple of nights and was fairly impressed. It was definitely better than the DAC in the Oppo. More detailed and I heard some background sounds that I never was able to clearly make out before. The bass was the most notable new development. In general a good investment/upgrade. Then I started reading some of the other posts on the Audiocircle regarding the the Modwright enhancement and other tubes to roll into the DAC. So last night I dropped a Mullard 5AR4 and a couple of Russian Rockets - 6N23P into the DAC and ..... Holy mother of god! The improvement was phenomenal. The entire frequency range became cleaner and clearer. The bass definition and control was amazing. Pianos and voices were ethereal with a huge sound stage. This is the closest to my vinyl turntable sound that I have ever heard from digital. The promise of digital is now within sight. I sat up til 2 AM grabbing CD after CD to see how it sounded now. And all this before any Modwright tweaking. Just wanted to say "thank you" for the deal. This is one of the best ever additions/revisions to my system and at a reasonable cost.

tdangelo

Re: SOLD: Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK1 DAC
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
Cool. Glad your enjoying it. :thumb: