Capacitor Upgrades on all VA equipment

guest1632

Capacitor Upgrades on all VA equipment
« on: 30 Aug 2010, 02:26 am »
Hi all,

I posed this question on the VA 451 Listening Impressions, and received no answers.

I know what the purpose of the input caps are for, so my question is could these units be operated without them in place? How much of a DC offset Voltage is there? Usually, upstream components have caps to protect the various components, so what's the deal here? There are lots of amplifiers out there with no DC blocking caps. If the DC offset is to much, then someone needs to look in to a way of zeroing that outt, ... or nearly so.

So that's my question. Thanks for whatever answers I get in advance.

Ray Bronk

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
Re: Capacitor Upgrades on all VA equipment
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2010, 03:55 am »
Hi Ray,

If your preamp has an output capacitor, then you are fine without an input cap on the amp. If not, don't risk it. A small transient may occur when you adjust something and blow the cones apart with amplified DC. Unless you are extremely confident that your source is free of DC, then go for it. Surely the best cap is no cap at all =)

DC offset is another issue, which occurs on the output of the amp and needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Re: Capacitor Upgrades on all VA equipment
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:03 am »
Ray

In my opinion the caps are a great option/tool and allow you to easily customize the sound of your amp to your liking for little $
I've rolled about 6 different pairs of caps in my sensation 901 and think I'll be settling back on the Sonicaps in my system, perfectly laid back with the right amount of attack, killer soundstaging and imaging with all the detail I could ever ask for.
these Sonicaps are cheap compared to some of the others I tried.