Leaving amps switched on all the time?

rebbi

Leaving amps switched on all the time?
« on: 8 May 2018, 01:34 pm »
Hey, Odyssey Tribe Members:

I'm considering joining the Tribe.

Question: Do any of you not leave your amp(s) powered on all the time (for whatever reason)? Does it have deleterious effects? I'd be buying used (and then tweaked and probably recapped by Klaus, if that matters.)

Thanks in advance!

rikhav

Re: Leaving amps switched on all the time?
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2018, 03:41 pm »
All Odyssey amps have large power capacitor bank which takes time to charge
So yeah it's always recommend to keep it on
Infact, I remember Klaus writing somewhere that main damage to capacitors happen when we swithh unit on and off

But, still we need to do what works best for us

For me in my country power is too unpredictable so I won't ever risk keeping my amp on 24/7

rebbi

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2018, 03:46 pm »
All Odyssey amps have large power capacitor bank which takes time to charge
So yeah it's always recommend to keep it on
Infact, I remember Klaus writing somewhere that main damage to capacitors happen when we swithh unit on and off

But, still we need to do what works best for us

For me in my country power is too unpredictable so I won't ever risk keeping my amp on 24/7

Thanks for responding. Anyone else?  :thumb:

Hadro

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2018, 06:08 pm »
Klaus said keep them on, and yes they do sound better that way.

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2018, 06:13 pm »
Keep them on all the time , that is the advise I got from Klaus for my Kismet Amp, I have had my amp since last June with 32 K caps except when I am changing the speaker wires or IC I have left the amp on 24/7 without any issues you should also plug it in directly into the AC outlet and not use any line conditioners or power conditioners :thumb: 
Asghar

rebbi

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2018, 02:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Hm.... I'll have to think about that. I have energy conservation / environmental concerns about leaving the amps on and drawing current all the time - not a judgment of those of you who don't share those concerns, it's just something I care about.

If you do switch them off, how long before they're warmed up and fully up to sonic speed?

Thanks.

fado

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 03:28 pm »
I have always been told that the amp should power-on last (after all other upstream components have been turned on) and then the amp should power-off first (before shutting off all other components). I do not usually use my system daily (~4 - 5 times/week) and I do have some costly tubes in my preamp as well as tubed DAC and CD player. So I usually shut these down at the end of the day - my Ayon CD player instructions say to shut it off if not listening for more than an hour.

So, if I leave the amp on 24/7 how do I deal with all the other components?

rebbi

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 03:29 pm »
I have always been told that the amp should power-on last (after all other upstream components have been turned on) and then the amp should power-off first (before shutting off all other components). I do not usually use my system daily (~4 - 5 times/week) and I do have some costly tubes in my preamp as well as tubed DAC and CD player. So I usually shut these down at the end of the day - my Ayon CD player instructions say to shut it off if not listening for more than an hour.

So, if I leave the amp on 24/7 how do I deal with all the other components?

Another good question. You're not going to let tube gear run all the time!   :duh: